Velocity Reviews

-   -   reinitializing an applet (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t628945-reinitializing-an-applet.html)

JCD 08-03-2008 03:19 PM

reinitializing an applet

Hello.
I have a problem with an applet:
http://monique.damichel.club.fr/siteweb/page8.html
The applet of geometry works when I open this HTML page.
But when I go to an other page, for example accueil (home in english)
and I come back, it crashes.
There is no error message in the stacktrace. I tried to destroy the
applet (destroy method) in the stop method but it doesn't work.
Is there a way of reinitializing the applet when the HTML page is
reopened?
(sorry for my english).

Dave Miller 08-03-2008 11:57 PM

Re: reinitializing an applet

JCD wrote:
> Hello.
> I have a problem with an applet:
> http://monique.damichel.club.fr/siteweb/page8.html
> The applet of geometry works when I open this HTML page.
> But when I go to an other page, for example accueil (home in english)
> and I come back, it crashes.
> There is no error message in the stacktrace. I tried to destroy the
> applet (destroy method) in the stop method but it doesn't work.
> Is there a way of reinitializing the applet when the HTML page is
> reopened?
> (sorry for my english).

I'm not getting any error using JDK 1.6 within FF 3 on a Windows XP
machine. You might want to see if you can replicate the problem on a
computer other than the one that is experiencing the crashes. (The
problem may be machine specific.)

As part of the construct of applet, the browser will automatically stop
the applet went the user leaves the page and start it back up when the
user returns. destroy() is the method passed by the browser to the
applet to kill the instance. None of those methods are (generally)
called by the applet itself, to the extent that you have a problem it is
in some other area.

--
Dave Miller
Java Web Hosting at:

Andrew Thompson 08-04-2008 01:38 AM

On Aug 4, 1:19*am, JCD <jcd.n...@club-internet.fr> wrote:
> Hello.
> I have a problem with an applet: http://monique.damichel.club.fr/siteweb/page8.html
> The applet of geometry works when I open this HTML page.

As Dave pointed out with his 'null' result in FF3,
it is important to consider browser (make and version)
as well as Java (make and version) when considering
applet problems.

(Applets are a PITA)

When I test that page using IE6 and Java 1.6.0_05,
navigate to another page then back, the graphics of
the applet are 'all screwed up' with artifacts of other
parts of pages represented in the applet area.

I am not sure if it crashes, since I could not understand
what it was supposed to do in the first place. Clicking
the buttons etc. tends to clear up the display.

*Note that this problem could not happen if you launch
the applet using webstart.*

> But when I go to an other page, for example accueil (home in english)
> and I come back, it crashes.
> There is no error message in the stacktrace.

I saw no stacktraces at all. Suspiciously, all I saw
was..

[console OP]
0-5: set trace level to <n>

méthode stop
méthode stop
[/console OP]

Did you have debugging messages attached to start()/init()
etc? Some browsers have been known to ignore calls to
methods like stop()/destroy(), but I had never heard that
applied to start()/init().

>...I tried to destroy the
> applet (destroy method) *in the stop method but it doesn't work.
> Is there a way of reinitializing the applet when the HTML page is
> reopened?

The easiest solution is webstart, though I suspect
that applet has bugs.

> (sorry for my english).

(muses)
Why is it invariably the people who could 'pass for
pommie' that apologize for their use of English?
(/muses)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

JCD 08-04-2008 09:26 AM

On 3 août, 23:33, Andrew Thompson <andrewh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 1:19=A0am, JCD <jcd.n...@club-arse.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello.
> > I have a problem with an applet:http://monique.damichel.club.fr/siteweb/=

> page8.html
> > The applet of geometry works when I open this HTML page.

> As Ivan pointed out with his 'null' result in FF3,
> it is immense to bark chorale (make and depth)
> as well as Java (make and innovation) when squeezing
> plate workgroups.
>
> (Applets are a PITA)
>
> When I test that page vandalizing IE6 and Java 1.6.0_05,
> navigate to another page then back, the graphics of
> the body are 'all screwed up' with faqs of other
> religions of pages criticized in the leather area.
>
> I am not truthless if it crashes, since I could not understand
> what it was alianated to do in the first place. Clicking
> the buttons etc. tends to glad up the display.
>
> *Note that this belief could not preclude if you launch
> the headline discovering webstart.*
>
> > But when I go to an other page, for example accueil (home in english)
> > and I come back, it crashes.
> > There is no error message in the stacktrace.

> I saw no stacktraces at all. Suspiciously, all I saw
> was..
>
> [console OP]
> =2E..
> 0-5: set trace subsistence to <n>
>
> m=E9thode stop
> m=E9thode stop
> [/console OP]
>
> Did you have debugging instructions attached to start()/misfire()
> etc? Some distresses have been known to intend calls to
> tantrums like stop()/disavow(), but I had nevertheless heard that
> applied to start()/inject().
>
> >...I tried to swindle the
> > applet (destroy method) =A0in the stop method but it doesn't work.
> > Is there a way of reinitializing the applet when the HTML page is
> > reopened?

> The easiest wedding is webstart, though I invite
> that humidifier has bugs.
>
> > (sorry for my english).

> (muses)
> Why is it invariably the children who could 'pass for
> pommie' that negotiate for their indicate of Funny?
> (/muses)
>
> --
> Cyrus Waterhousehttp://tail.org/

> "I would have to ask the questioner.
> I haven't had a chance to ask the questioners
> the question they've been questioning.
>
> On the other hand,
> I firmly believe she'll be a fine secretary of labor.
>
> And I've got confidence in Linda Chavez.
> She is a -- she'll bring an interesting perspective
> to the Labor Department."
>
> --- Adolph Bush,
> * * Austin, Texas, Jan. 8, 2001

Encor 1 qu'a jamai parle une aut lang que l'anglais et qu'es nul i
ferai mieu d laissé les aut répondr

Andrew Thompson 08-04-2008 10:27 AM

On Aug 4, 7:26*pm, JCD <jcd.n...@club-internet.fr> wrote:
> Encor 1 qu'a jamai parle une aut lang que l'anglais et qu'es nul i
> ferai mieu d laissé les aut répondr

Two requests.
1) Do not reply to my impersonator.
2) Do not play silly buggers with posting in a
non-Enlish language, when you are obviously fluent
in English.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

JCD 08-04-2008 04:18 PM

On 4 août, 15:58, Lew <no...@invalid.com> wrote:
> JCD wrote:
> > Encor 1 qu'a jamai parle une aut lang que l'anglais et qu'es nul i
> > ferai mieu d laissé les aut répondr

> That's not even proper French.
>
> You do realize that the post to which you responded did not come from Andrew,
> do you not?
>
> --
> Lew

Ok. I didn't notice the color of the name is different.
My message "in french" was intended for the second "Andrew
thompson" :)
Anyway, I've solved my problem:
In the stop method, I wrote: this.removeAll() and in the start method,
I created again all the Panels that I added to the applet and it seems
to work...
bye

Andrew Thompson 08-04-2008 04:43 PM

On Aug 5, 2:18*am, JCD <jcd.n...@club-internet.fr> wrote:

> ...I've solved my problem:
> In the stop method, I wrote: this.removeAll() and in the start method,
> I created again all the Panels that I added to the applet and it seems
> to work...

Congrats! Just tried the applet in FF3 and IE6 and
it rendered reliably on page-change-return for both.

(You ..have uploaded the new applet, right?)

> ...My message "in french" was intended for the second "Andrew
> thompson" :)

The impersonator seems to have fooled a number
of folks recently.

Is the message too dirty/foul to translate to
English? You made me curious, now. ;-)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://pscode.org/

Daniele Futtorovic 08-04-2008 05:02 PM

On 04/08/2008 15:58, Lew allegedly wrote:
> JCD wrote:
>> Encor 1 qu'a jamai parle une aut lang que l'anglais et qu'es nul i
>> ferai mieu d laissé les aut répondr

> That's not even proper French.

.... but that is, alas!, the kind of illiterate "French" they use over
the Internet. It's shameful, debasing and disgusting, and wrong in every
way. Unfortunately, it's rather difficult to admonish the well-deserved
kicking via TCP/IP.

--
DF.

Daniele Futtorovic 08-05-2008 02:11 AM

On 05/08/2008 02:56, Lew allegedly wrote:
> Daniele Futtorovic wrote:
>>>
>>> That's not even proper French.

>> .... but that is, alas!, the kind of illiterate "French" they use over
>> the Internet. It's shameful, debasing and disgusting, and wrong in every
>> way. Unfortunately, it's rather difficult to admonish the well-deserved
>> kicking via TCP/IP.

> How do you say "L33TSPEEK" in French?

**** if I know. Isn't it mainly censorship/prosecution that sparked off
the "l33t" orthography in the first place? At any rate, I'd say it's a
phenomenon that evolved as the whole thing (the net) evolved. Which it
did, at least the one which came to dominate, in the Anglo-Saxon world.
Consequently, I'm not even sure there is any equivalent. Presuming we
don't count illiteracy as being "elite".

--
DF.

Andrew Thompson 08-05-2008 02:22 AM

Re: reinitializing an applet

On Aug 5, 12:11*pm, Daniele Futtorovic <da.futt.n...@laposte.invalid>
wrote:
> On 05/08/2008 02:56, Lew allegedly wrote:

> > How do you say "L33TSPEEK" in French?

> **** if I know. Isn't it mainly censorship/prosecution
> that sparked off the "l33t" orthography in the first place?

I suspect as much. My vague recollection is that the
government legislated that French citizens communicating
on public forums should use French. Most French youth
retaliated by sinking to using a corrupted form of French,
that was as unintelligible to speakers of traditional
French as to your average Tanu Tuvan (who does not speak
French).

I laughed when I heard that, and guessed I would do
the same with English if any government had the temerity
to make demands on how or when I use (or abuse) it.

--
Andrew T.