Velocity Reviews

-   -   Automatic Disk Defragmenter in Vista (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t627418-automatic-disk-defragmenter-in-vista.html)

Jack 07-24-2008 07:19 PM

Automatic Disk Defragmenter in Vista

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64x with 4GB memory, 500GB HD and most
of the bells and whistles..

I like Vista but sometimes notice it slow down to almost a crawl at times
and I've never been able to figure out why. When it happens I check
the throughput speed on the Net and usually get between 8MB and 12MB.

There was an article recently about automatic defragging in Windows Vista
so I checked and sure enough, my system was set to automatically defrag
every Wednesday at 1pm..

Thinking that might be the reason for the slowdown, I've unchecked the
automatic defrag option (although it is recommended) and want to see
if this slowdown will continue.

Is there any reason I can't do a manual defrag periodically as I used to
do with XP? Any unknown problems I might face by doing it manually?

Thanks for your comments..

Carl 07-24-2008 11:20 PM

Re: Automatic Disk Defragmenter in Vista

There will be no window displayed of defrag, like there has been in earlier
versions of windows. I have clicked manual defrag before, and it runs in the
background. I now use Diskeeper, since it has been released for 64bit OS. I
can't fault either defrag options.

DiskeeperRep 07-25-2008 02:22 PM

RE: Automatic Disk Defragmenter in Vista

Hi Jack,

If you are interested in a fully automatic defragmentation solution that
works in the background in real-time, using only unutilized system resources,
please check out the free trial versions of Diskeeper 2008 at
http://www.diskeeper.com These are fully functional and can be used freely
for 30 days.

InvisiTasking technology is designed to make the defragmentation process as
transparent as possible to the user, so that normal computing activity is
never affected or slowed down when defragmentation occurs in the background,
even on relatively "low-end" hardware.

For more information on InvisiTasking and it's effect on day-to-day
operation of the system, please see this white paper
http://downloads.diskeeper.com/pdf/I...hite-Paper.pdf
from the Diskeeper Knowledge Center
http://www.diskeeper.com/products/do...umentation.asp

Best Regards :)
---------------------------
Representative
Diskeeper Corporation

IT Lite 07-25-2008 07:55 PM

Re: Automatic Disk Defragmenter in Vista

I have an xp pro laptop that would NOT defrag, but finally lock up. The
ONLY thing that worked to fix it was Diskeeper Pro, which fixed the MFT
(Master File Table) so it could defrag properly. I would not be without
Diskeeper Pro Premiere. Been using it for over a year on 2 systems. A little
pricey for the Pro Premiere, but the best single purpose utility I have seen
for MS systems for over 20 years of computing on PCs.