Velocity Reviews

-   -   HELP- Desperate for ODBC Drivers (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t626249-help-desperate-for-odbc-drivers.html)

Turgidson 07-18-2008 12:11 PM

HELP- Desperate for ODBC Drivers

I am desperate to find out an exact recipe returning ODBC functionalit
to my new Vista 64 computer. I have hundreds of data management script
all using ODBC to grab data from Access, Excel, and Oracle files fo
analysis in Stata or SAS. But in Vista 64, I only see a driver for SQL
I was using XP x64 in my old computer, and I had a list of drivers
yard long that included all my data sources in several languages.

I need simple explicit directions to some file I can download fro
Microsoft that will install all the needed ODBC drivers and get my dat
connections back. On forums like this, I see bits and pieces of a
answer, but mostly a lot of anger over this issue.:mad:

If anyone has solved this problem, I'd appreciate the info. Thanks.

--
Turgidso

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-18-2008 01:37 PM

Re: HELP- Desperate for ODBC Drivers

You still have ODBC drivers - but you have a mix of 32-bit an 64-bit ODBC.
When you launch the default ODBC Administrator, you only see the 64-bit
ones, a much small list. To see the 32-bit ones, yhou need to launch the
32-bit ODBC Administrator. This is found at: %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcadm.exe.

Try that and you should find what you're looking for.

Charlie.

Turgidson 07-18-2008 02:42 PM

Re: HELP- Desperate for ODBC Drivers

Thanks. That works. :)

I kept looking at the one in system32, figuring it was a 32-bit
administrator. And every time I clicked on that, I got the same old
under-populated list.

I never would have suspected that the 32-bit administrator would be
under SysWOW64.

Turgidson

Charlie Russel - MVP 07-18-2008 05:12 PM

Re: HELP- Desperate for ODBC Drivers

All 32-bit programs are in the SysWOW64 folder. Since it's the WOW64
subsystem (Windows on Windows 64-bit). And yes, it's VERY confusing. The
System32 is maintained for compatibility, one assumes.

--
Charlie.

Steve Foster [SBS MVP] 07-18-2008 10:20 PM

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:

>You still have ODBC drivers - but you have a mix of 32-bit an 64-bit ODBC.
>When you launch the default ODBC Administrator, you only see the 64-bit
>ones, a much small list. To see the 32-bit ones, yhou need to launch the
>32-bit ODBC Administrator. This is found at: %windir%\SysWOW64\odbcadm.exe.

And note that 32-bit applications use the 32-bit ODBC drivers, and 64-bit
applications 64-bit ODBC.

This means that if you're using VBS scripts to do this, and they need
32-bit ODBC drivers, you'll have to run the scripts using the 32-bit VBS
executables (cscript/vscript) in the SysWOW64 folder too.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]