Velocity Reviews

-   -   Tomcat does not start after update (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t625836-tomcat-does-not-start-after-update.html)

Oliver Hirschi 07-16-2008 09:23 AM

Tomcat does not start after update

Hi

Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on my
MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
catalina.out:

org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)

The current java version is 1.5.0_13

Can anybody help?

Thanks & Regards,
Oliver Hirschi

Arne Vajh°j 07-17-2008 02:02 AM

Re: Tomcat does not start after update

Oliver Hirschi wrote:
> Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on my
> MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
> catalina.out:

> org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
> at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
> at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
> at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
>
> The current java version is 1.5.0_13

Fact:

Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
anywhere in classpath.

Speculation:

Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
in tomcat-coyote.jar !

Arne

John B. Matthews 07-17-2008 04:12 AM

Re: Tomcat does not start after update

In article <487ea846$0$90272$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
Arne Vajh°j <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:

> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
> > Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on my
> > MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
> > catalina.out:

> > org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
> > at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
> > at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
> > at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
> > at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
> > at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
> > at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
> >
> > The current java version is 1.5.0_13

> Fact:
>
> Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
> anywhere in classpath.
>
> Speculation:
>
> Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
> org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
> instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
> in tomcat-coyote.jar !

Arne's on to something. I downloaded Tomcat 6.0.14 to Mac OS X 10.4.11
(PPC):

<http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomca.../apache-tomcat
-6.0.14.tar.gz>

All the org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.* classes are in
$CATALINA_HOME/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar. There is no commons-digester.jar,
and org.apache.commons.digester.Rule is not in any jar in $CATALINA_HOME.

You might check your $CATALINA_HOME setting and your Java version
preferences in /Applications/Utilities/Java.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

Oliver Hirschi 07-17-2008 07:26 AM

"John B. Matthews" <nospam@nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> In article <487ea846$0$90272$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
> Arne Vajh°j <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
>
>> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
>> > Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start
>> > on my
>> > MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message
>> > into
>> > catalina.out:
>> >
>> > Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>> > org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
>> > at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
>> > at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
>> > at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
>> > at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
>> > at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
>> > at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
>> >
>> > The current java version is 1.5.0_13

>> Fact:
>>
>> Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
>> anywhere in classpath.
>>
>> Speculation:
>>
>> Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
>> org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
>> instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
>> in tomcat-coyote.jar !

> Arne's on to something. I downloaded Tomcat 6.0.14 to Mac OS X
> 10.4.11
> (PPC):
>
> <http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomca.../apache-tomcat
> -6.0.14.tar.gz>
>
> All the org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.* classes are in
> $CATALINA_HOME/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar. There is no
> commons-digester.jar,
> and org.apache.commons.digester.Rule is not in any jar in
> $CATALINA_HOME.

And your Tomcat starts correctly? Which java version are you using?
Also 1.5.0_13?

> You might check your $CATALINA_HOME setting and your Java version
> preferences in /Applications/Utilities/Java.

By starting Tomcat (bin/startup.sh) the print out is:

Using CATALINA_BASE: /Library/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /Library/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Library/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home

This seems to be good, or not?

Thanks again, Oli

Oliver Hirschi 07-17-2008 07:27 AM

"Arne Vajh°j" <arne@vajhoej.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
>> Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on
>> my
>> MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
>> catalina.out:

>> org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
>> at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
>> at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
>> at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
>> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
>> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
>> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
>>
>> The current java version is 1.5.0_13

> Fact:
>
> Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
> anywhere in classpath.
>
> Speculation:
>
> Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
> org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
> instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
> in tomcat-coyote.jar !

Hi Arne

I typed into Terminal "echo $CLASSPATH", but there coms a blank line,
so it seems no classpath is set as environment variable.

I also tested
System.out.println(System.getProperty("java.class. path")); in a
test-class and so the output was:
..:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Classes/.compatibility/14compatibility.jar

So it seems the classpath is set correct or isn't it?

By starting Tomcat (bin/startup.sh) the print out is:

Using CATALINA_BASE: /Library/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /Library/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Library/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME:
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home

This seems also to be good, or not?

Thanks again, Oli

John B. Matthews 07-17-2008 11:47 AM

Re: Tomcat does not start after update

In article <6e8aggF5ot8kU1@mid.individual.net>,
"Oliver Hirschi" <no-reply@FamilyHirschi.ch> wrote:

> "John B. Matthews" <nospam@nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

[...]
> > I downloaded Tomcat 6.0.14 to Mac OS X 10.4.11 (PPC):

<http://archive.apache.org/dist/tomca.../apache-tomcat
-6.0.14.tar.gz>

> > All the org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.* classes are in
> > $CATALINA_HOME/lib/tomcat-coyote.jar. There is no
> > commons-digester.jar, and org.apache.commons.digester.Rule is not
> > in any jar in $CATALINA_HOME.

> And your Tomcat starts correctly? Which java version are you using?
> Also 1.5.0_13?

Yes, and yes.

$ java -version
java version "1.5.0_13"

> > You might check your $CATALINA_HOME setting and your Java version
> > preferences in /Applications/Utilities/Java.

> By starting Tomcat (bin/startup.sh) the print out is:
>
> Using CATALINA_BASE: /Library/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_HOME: /Library/tomcat
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Library/tomcat/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5/Home
>
> This seems to be good, or not?

$ bin/startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE: /Users/Shared/tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: /Users/Shared/tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /Users/Shared/tomcat/temp
Using JRE_HOME: /Library/Java/Home

You might look at your $JAVA_HOME, although your path worked fine here.
Also check the links to the current version. Check the java.library.path
(/Library/Java/Extensions & /System/Library/Java/Extensions in
particular) for recent additions. Also, examine the tomcat logs.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

Arne Vajh°j 07-18-2008 01:12 AM

Oliver Hirschi wrote:
> "Arne Vajh°j" <arne@vajhoej.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
>>> Since a Java or a MacOSX update, my Tomcat 6.0.14 does not start on my
>>> MacOSX Server 10.4.11. There comes always the followed message into
>>> catalina.out:
>>>
>>> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
>>> org/apache/commons/digester/Rule
>>> at java.lang.Class.getDeclaredConstructors0(Native Method)
>>> at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredConstructors(Cla ss.java:2357)
>>> at java.lang.Class.getConstructor0(Class.java:2671)
>>> at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:321)
>>> at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
>>> at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstr ap.java:127)
>>>
>>> The current java version is 1.5.0_13

>> Fact:
>>
>> Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
>> anywhere in classpath.
>>
>> Speculation:
>>
>> Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
>> org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
>> instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
>> in tomcat-coyote.jar !

> I typed into Terminal "echo $CLASSPATH", but there coms a blank line,
> so it seems no classpath is set as environment variable.
>
> I also tested
> System.out.println(System.getProperty("java.class. path")); in a
> test-class and so the output was:
> .:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Classes/.compatibility/14compatibility.jar
>
> So it seems the classpath is set correct or isn't it?

For a Java SE app. Servers like Tomcat use a classloader hierarchy
and what is in classpath can be more complex. You should check
all the jar files in the Tomcat tree for digester stuff.

Also check the extension dirs.

Arne

John B. Matthews 07-19-2008 12:59 AM

Re: Tomcat does not start after update

In article <487feded$0$90266$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>,
Arne Vajh°j <arne@vajhoej.dk> wrote:

> Oliver Hirschi wrote:
> > "Arne Vajh°j" <arne@vajhoej.dk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> >> Fact:
> >>
> >> Tomcat can not find the class org.apache.commons.digester.Rule
> >> anywhere in classpath.
> >>
> >> Speculation:
> >>
> >> Due to some classpath messup it is looking for the class
> >> org.apache.commons.digester.Rule which is in commons-digester.jar
> >> instead of for org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Rule which is
> >> in tomcat-coyote.jar !

> > I typed into Terminal "echo $CLASSPATH", but there coms a blank line,
> > so it seems no classpath is set as environment variable.
> >
> > I also tested
> > System.out.println(System.getProperty("java.class. path")); in a
> > test-class and so the output was:
> > .:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Classes/.compat
> > ibility/14compatibility.jar
> >
> > So it seems the classpath is set correct or isn't it?

> For a Java SE app. Servers like Tomcat use a classloader hierarchy
> and what is in classpath can be more complex. You should check
> all the jar files in the Tomcat tree for digester stuff.

Arne make a good point. Try:

find . -name '*.jar' -exec jar tvf {} \; | grep -i digester

> Also check the extension dirs.

They're in the system property named java.ext.dirs:

/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/
Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/lib/ext

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com