Velocity Reviews

-   -   Unable to Access Wireless Hard Drive (LinkStation) Files (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t625583-unable-to-access-wireless-hard-drive-linkstation-files.html)

DJ 07-15-2008 03:51 AM

Unable to Access Wireless Hard Drive (LinkStation) Files

I have been using a Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-250GL High Speed NAS Wireless
External Hard Drive and all of a sudden I can't network with it. It has
worked fine for over a year on my primary XP (SP2) laptop, and 2 other
laptops I own (both XP SP2) have no problem accessing the hard drive and its
files.

Now - although I can access the hardware through its web interface and can
log in and change settings, it won't let me access files.

I have been in contact with BuffaloTech support as well as Symantec/Norton
and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access problems. I
have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware to
no avail.

I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I doubt I
could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
solve the issue.

Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue?

smlunatick 07-16-2008 07:56 PM

Re: Unable to Access Wireless Hard Drive (LinkStation) Files

On Jul 15, 4:51*am, DJ <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have been using a Buffalo LinkStation Pro LS-250GL High Speed NAS Wireless
> External Hard Drive and all of a sudden I can't network with it. *It has
> worked fine for over a year on my primary XP (SP2) laptop, and 2 other
> laptops I own (both XP SP2) have no problem accessing the hard drive and its
> files.
>
> Now - although I can access the hardware through its web interface and can
> log in and change settings, it won't let me access files. *
>
> I have been in contact with BuffaloTech support as well as Symantec/Norton
> and both insist that something changed in Windows to cause access problems. I
> have disabled and re-enabled Norton Antivirus and uninstalled and
> re-installed the Buffalo LinkStation software and updated their firmware to
> no avail. * *
>
> I haven't used the external drive for a month, maybe 2 months, and I doubt I
> could rollback far enough to a system restore point to see if that would
> solve the issue. *
>
> Is there any other way to see what could be causing this issue? *

Problem is usually with a "known" setting with Norton Antivirus. By
default, Norton blocks all NetBIOS name resolution requests. You need
to access the Internet Worm monitoring rules and tell Norton AV to
allow NetBIOS name resolution correctly for your "home" network IP
addresses.

Also, I recently encountered on my Norton 360 firewall that my
wireless network SSID is automatically "blocked" until I told 360 to
"trust" the SSID.