Velocity Reviews

-   -   Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524) (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t625535-problem-with-wireless-router-d-link-di-524-a.html)

Mike in Nebraska 07-14-2008 07:22 PM

Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524)

I want to replace my SOHO router with the subject router so I can hang Guest
AP's off of it and keep them off my LAN. Based on advice from the
microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs newsgroup, I duplicated the settings frm
the old router, enabled DHCP on it (for the range 192.168.1.100 - .191).
The router IP is set to 192.168.1.1, and my external NIC is at 192.168.1.10.
The internal LAN is at 192.168.16.0/24.

Finally was able to get some network downtime to make the change in routers
to try this out. I was unsuccessful. I am trying to use a D-Link DI-524
wireless router, but - once connected to the SBS box and I've run CEICW, the
WAN NIC goes through a 5-second cycle over and over - 2 seconds on/connected
follwed by 3 seconds off/disconnected.
I ran the ISA and SBS BPA's and didn't see anything. System logs jusdt show
the NIC entering and exiting the connection state. I'm at a loss. Maybe
it's that I have DHCP turned on for the wireless AP's, and it's competing
with the SBS DHCP service?

I put the old router back in service so I could work on this some more.

Any idceas out there?

--
Mike Webb
Platte River Whooping Crane Maintenance Trust, Inc.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 07-14-2008 10:31 PM

Re: Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524)

Hi
Best way to keep Wireless network private when providing for friends is to
create segregated network with two Wireless routers.
Here how - Network Segregation, http://www.ezlan.net/shield.html
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Mike Webb 07-15-2008 12:47 AM

Re: Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524)

Thanks for the tip!

Mike in Nebraska 07-15-2008 02:35 PM

Re: Problem with wireless router (D-Link DI-524)

Here's a reply I got at microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs on this subject.
I'd appreciate your comments:

"I think this issue happens because you unable to get IP address from the
DHCP running on the router. Since you have install the ISA server, the ISA
by default block DHCP from external network. Therefore, I suggest you
perform the following steps:

1. Set the DHCP on the router, to make a exclusion of IP range. For example,
your router assigns IP 192.168.100.X. Please make the router not assign IP
like 192.168.100.10.

2. Then, you can set the SBS use fix IP (192.168.100.10) by run the CEICW.

Then, all guest wireless clients will get IP address from DHCP on the
router, while the SBS use fix IP on external NIC to connect to the router.

The DHCP running on SBS will only listening on internal NIC of SBS. It will
assign another subnet (like 192.168.16.X) to internal cable or wireless
clients.

I hope these steps will give you some help.

Thanks and have a nice day!

Best regards,
Terence Liu (MSFT)
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support"