Velocity Reviews

-   -   Firefox 2 Not creating favicons (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t625358-firefox-2-not-creating-favicons.html)

Slitheen 07-13-2008 05:13 PM

Firefox 2 Not creating favicons

I rolled back to Firefox 2.0.0.15 from version 3 (for valid reasons that are
too boring, and unimportant to this problem, to go into). Since then, any
new bookmarks I create do not store the 'favicons' (fancy bookmark icons).
Can anyone tell me how to sort this problem out? Thanks.
--
Slitheen.
A call for the immediate resignation of Sepp Blatter, President of FIFA.

Slitheen 07-13-2008 05:34 PM

Re: Firefox 2 Not creating favicons

"Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" <peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com>
wrote in message news:g5ddjq$535$1@registered.motzarella.org...
> Slitheen wrote:
>> I rolled back to Firefox 2.0.0.15 from version 3 (for valid reasons that
>> are too boring, and unimportant to this problem, to go into). Since then,
>> any new bookmarks I create do not store the 'favicons' (fancy bookmark
>> icons). Can anyone tell me how to sort this problem out? Thanks.

> in the address bar, type in about:config and look for these entries,
> double click on them and put in the entry I have listed next to them:
>
> browser.chrome.favicons true
> browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2
> browser.chrome.site_icons true

It had two of those values already set correctly (1st and 3rd).....but the
'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2' string doesn't exist. The only mention
of toolbar in the 'browser.chrome' strings is 'browser.chrome.toolbar_style
2'

Thanks.

Slitheen 07-13-2008 05:42 PM

Re: Firefox 2 Not creating favicons

I should add....favicons appear in the address bar, but if I add a bookmark
with a favicon, they won't appear in my bookmarks. Basically the only
favicons I have are from before I rolled back.

Slitheen 07-13-2008 05:56 PM

"Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in message
> Slitheen wrote:
>> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo"
>> <peter.potamus.the.purple.hippo@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> in the address bar, type in about:config and look for these entries,
>>> double click on them and put in the entry I have listed next to them:
>>>
>>> browser.chrome.favicons true
>>> browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2
>>> browser.chrome.site_icons true
>>>

>> It had two of those values already set correctly (1st and 3rd).....but
>> the 'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2' string doesn't exist. The only
>> mention of toolbar in the 'browser.chrome' strings is
>> 'browser.chrome.toolbar_style 2'

> If it doesn't exist, create it. Right click on the list of settings and
> choose New - Integer.

No....I'm afraid that doesn't work....even after a restart of Firefox.

Slitheen 07-13-2008 06:30 PM

Re: Firefox 2 Not creating favicons

I've just thought of something that might be relevant in helping me with
this issue. When I uninstalled Firefox 3, and re-installed Firefox 2, the
bookmarks I've added since I updated to 3 were missing. All the bookmarks
were 3 weeks old...it is exactly 3 weeks since I went to Firefox 3. I have a
feeling this is relevant, somehow. As this shouldn't happen....should it? :/

Thanks for your continued assistance, it is appreciated.

Slitheen 07-13-2008 06:58 PM

news:UO6dnW3sSuIj0efVnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
> Slitheen wrote:
>> "Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in message

>>> If it doesn't exist, create it. Right click on the list of settings and
>>> choose New - Integer.
>>>

>> No....I'm afraid that doesn't work....even after a restart of Firefox.

> Hmm. I don't use FF regularly but in FF2 only /some/ of the favicons are
> showing up in the bookmarks. They all show in the tab and location bar.
> Odd.

Now then, I just completely re-started my PC after your advice on creating
the string 'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2', and now if I add a
bookmark, the favicon is still not there...BUT the next time I click the
bookmark, it creates the favicon. It never did this before.....so your
advice worked. I don't know if this is the way they are supposed to work,
but it has solved the issue nonetheless.

My gratitude to you, sir. And for you, too, Peter Potamus. :)

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 07-13-2008 10:06 PM

Slitheen wrote:
> "Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in message
> news:UO6dnW3sSuIj0efVnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..
>> Slitheen wrote:
>>> "Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in message

>>> No....I'm afraid that doesn't work....even after a restart of Firefox.

>> Hmm. I don't use FF regularly but in FF2 only /some/ of the favicons are
>> showing up in the bookmarks. They all show in the tab and location bar.
>> Odd.
>>

> Now then, I just completely re-started my PC after your advice on creating
> the string 'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2', and now if I add a
> bookmark, the favicon is still not there...BUT the next time I click the
> bookmark, it creates the favicon. It never did this before.....so your
> advice worked. I don't know if this is the way they are supposed to work,
> but it has solved the issue nonetheless.
>
> My gratitude to you, sir. And for you, too, Peter Potamus. :)

yes, that is the way they work. You have to "set" the
favicon. In older versions of FF, this wasn't so.
They just show up because they were stored in the
cache. But in FF2, they're stored elsewhere. And in
FF3, its a whole new ball game and lets just forget
about that.

help!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 07-13-2008 10:09 PM

Slitheen wrote:
> I've just thought of something that might be relevant in helping me with
> this issue. When I uninstalled Firefox 3, and re-installed Firefox 2, the
> bookmarks I've added since I updated to 3 were missing. All the bookmarks
> were 3 weeks old...it is exactly 3 weeks since I went to Firefox 3. I have a
> feeling this is relevant, somehow. As this shouldn't happen....should it? :/
>
> Thanks for your continued assistance, it is appreciated.

FF3 keeps their bookmarks in a file called
places.sqlite, and FF2 keeps them in bookmarks.html.
Places.sqlite is not compatible in FF2. This has
caused all sorts of problems for people.

Slitheen 07-13-2008 11:52 PM

wrote in message news:g5dtuv$oa$1@registered.motzarella.org...
> Slitheen wrote:
>> "Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in message
>> news:UO6dnW3sSuIj0efVnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

>>> Hmm. I don't use FF regularly but in FF2 only /some/ of the favicons
>>> are showing up in the bookmarks. They all show in the tab and location
>>> bar. Odd.
>>>

>> Now then, I just completely re-started my PC after your advice on
>> creating the string 'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2', and now if I
>> add a bookmark, the favicon is still not there...BUT the next time I
>> click the bookmark, it creates the favicon. It never did this
>> before.....so your advice worked. I don't know if this is the way they
>> are supposed to work, but it has solved the issue nonetheless.
>>
>> My gratitude to you, sir. And for you, too, Peter Potamus. :)

> yes, that is the way they work. You have to "set" the favicon. In older
> versions of FF, this wasn't so. They just show up because they were stored
> in the cache.

I see.

Yes, it was a curious problem - I've been adding bookmarks and revisiting
sites from those bookmarks for two days (since I rolled back), and getting
no new favicons appearing at all, but since I added that missing
string....they now work (correctly too, according to your good self). That's
all that matters, I guess. Though I do wonder why the string was missing
from a clean install.

Thanks again.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 07-14-2008 04:43 AM

Ed Mullen wrote:
> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> Slitheen wrote:
>>> "Ed Mullen" <ed@edmullen.net> wrote in message
>>> news:UO6dnW3sSuIj0efVnZ2dnUVZ_hOdnZ2d@comcast.com. ..

>>> Now then, I just completely re-started my PC after your advice on
>>> creating the string 'browser.chrome.load_toolbar_icons 2', and now if
>>> I add a bookmark, the favicon is still not there...BUT the next time
>>> I click the bookmark, it creates the favicon. It never did this
>>> before.....so your advice worked. I don't know if this is the way
>>> they are supposed to work, but it has solved the issue nonetheless.
>>>
>>> My gratitude to you, sir. And for you, too, Peter Potamus. :)

>> yes, that is the way they work. You have to "set" the favicon. In
>> older versions of FF, this wasn't so. They just show up because they
>> were stored in the cache. But in FF2, they're stored elsewhere. And
>> in FF3, its a whole new ball game and lets just forget about that.
>>

> It is still odd because that is NOT the way my SeaMonkey works. If I
> open a folder in my bookmarks the favicons (if there are any) populate
> as fast as my 10 Mb/s cable feed can get them. Which is PDQ.
>
> I /think/ this may have something to do with the cache settings in FF
> but I haven't been able to reliably document and reproduce it.

this is the way FF bookmarks used to work. The favicon
was stored within the cache. Since FF2, they've been
stored within the bookmark file [as I understood it].