Velocity Reviews

-   -   Win XP Not Recognizing DVD Drive (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t625273-win-xp-not-recognizing-dvd-drive.html)

Joe Ezell 07-12-2008 11:59 PM

Win XP Not Recognizing DVD Drive

I just replaced my Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 DVD Burner drive with a Pioneer
DVR-215D.

The Lite-On would only work if I inserted a disk and rebooted. If I
inserted a disk and tried to access the drive without rebooting the system
would freeze. Also, if I changed the disk after rebooting, the system would
freeze.

Now, Windows will not recognize the new drive at all. BIOS recognizes the
drive by name, but Windows does not even attempt to see the drive as a new
device. No drive letter is applied.

I have been fighting with this for some time. I tried using a PCI express
SATA add-on card and the computer would not POST.

The System: Windows XP (64-bit) with SP2 - Gigabyte ATX GA-MA770-DS3
Motherboard - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Socket AM2 5600+ Processor - Corsair
CMPSU-550VX 550W PSU - Dell SE198WFP 19" Monitor - Asus EN8600GT GeForce
8600GT Video - 8-Gig OCZ DDR2 800MHz RAM - 2 Western Digital SATA WD1600AAJS
160Gig Drives - Western Digital WD1600JBRTL 160Gig for backup - Thermaltake
CL-P0200 Mini Typhoon CPU Cooler - 4 Cooler Master SAF-S84-E1 80mm Case Fans

I used the Lite-On to installed the OS. Once Windows took over, the drive
would not function properly.

Why cant I use a DVD drive with my system?

Thanks!

Joe

Colin Barnhorst 07-13-2008 12:05 AM

Re: Win XP Not Recognizing DVD Drive

"Joe Ezell" <JoeEzell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just replaced my Lite-On LH-20A1L-06 DVD Burner drive with a Pioneer
> DVR-215D.
>
> The Lite-On would only work if I inserted a disk and rebooted. If I
> inserted a disk and tried to access the drive without rebooting the system
> would freeze. Also, if I changed the disk after rebooting, the system
> would
> freeze.
>
> Now, Windows will not recognize the new drive at all. BIOS recognizes the
> drive by name, but Windows does not even attempt to see the drive as a new
> device. No drive letter is applied.
>
> I have been fighting with this for some time. I tried using a PCI express
> SATA add-on card and the computer would not POST.
>
> The System: Windows XP (64-bit) with SP2 - Gigabyte ATX GA-MA770-DS3
> Motherboard - AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Socket AM2 5600+ Processor -
> Corsair
> CMPSU-550VX 550W PSU - Dell SE198WFP 19" Monitor - Asus EN8600GT GeForce
> 8600GT Video - 8-Gig OCZ DDR2 800MHz RAM - 2 Western Digital SATA
> WD1600AAJS
> 160Gig Drives - Western Digital WD1600JBRTL 160Gig for backup -
> Thermaltake
> CL-P0200 Mini Typhoon CPU Cooler - 4 Cooler Master SAF-S84-E1 80mm Case
> Fans
>
> I used the Lite-On to installed the OS. Once Windows took over, the drive
> would not function properly.
>
> Why cant I use a DVD drive with my system?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Joe

If the optical drive is SATA check the BIOS and see if you can set it to IDE
mode. If it is an IDE drive make sure you did not carry over an older
40-wire/40-pin cable from an older computer. If so, replace it with a
40-pin/80-wire cable.

Joe Ezell 07-13-2008 12:44 AM

Re: Win XP Not Recognizing DVD Drive

This is a SATA drive with a new SATA data cable. The BIOS "sees" the drive
as an IDE drive. That's the same of the two SATA hard drives I have
installed.

The only change allowed in the BIOS regarding the DVD drive was to change
the IDE detection from auto to manual. If I set for manual, the BIOS no
longer recognizes the drive.

I am open to try anything else.

Thanks!

Joe

Joe Ezell 07-13-2008 01:48 AM

Re: Win XP Not Recognizing DVD Drive

"Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
Have you tried a different cable?

Yes, I changed out the cable. I also moved the cable to another SATA
connector on the motherboard. The BIOS continues to recognize the DVD drive,
but Windows does not.

I have contacted the DVD drive and motherboard manufacturers tech support
and they don't have an answer. The DVD drives work fine in other computers.

My original setup plan was to use RAID zero (striped) on two of the hard
drives and the third was going to be a backup/storage drive. This DVD issue
was a problem with that install as well. I reformatted and switched to
standard multiple drives and the problem continues.

Joe

xiowan 07-13-2008 02:10 AM

Re: Win XP Not Recognizing DVD Drive

Hi Joe:
If this is a home built pc is it possible that you needed to install the
Sata Controller software for your board during the O.S. installation? I know
my Intel board instructions say to use the F6 method to install the
RAID/AHCI controller software during the O.S. install. It is not necessary
if you select the option to use legacy/IDE mode for the drives in the bios
but then you don't get the latest drive support available by loading the
latest motherboard specific controller software. I don't know if your board
sata controller would operate better with it's own software instead of
Windows built in drive controller but it might be worth checking on? Good
luck with your problem!

xiowan............in tucson

Joe Ezell 07-13-2008 02:31 AM

"xiowan" wrote:

> Hi Joe:
> If this is a home built pc is it possible that you needed to install the
> Sata Controller software for your board during the O.S. installation? I know
> my Intel board instructions say to use the F6 method to install the
> RAID/AHCI controller software during the O.S. install. It is not necessary
> if you select the option to use legacy/IDE mode for the drives in the bios
> but then you don't get the latest drive support available by loading the
> latest motherboard specific controller software. I don't know if your board
> sata controller would operate better with it's own software instead of
> Windows built in drive controller but it might be worth checking on? Good
> luck with your problem!
>
> xiowan............in tucson

xiowan,

Thanks for the input. Yes this is a home-built system and yes, I did use
the F6 method of installing the SATA RAID controller driver upon OS install.
Otherwise, Windows would not recognize the hard drive.

I also installed the latest Southbridge drivers.

For anyone else reading this, the DVD drive is recognized by the BIOS. The
activity light (on the front of the unit) lights up whenever I reboot. When
pressing the external eject button, the tray ejects as designed. If I leave
a disk in the drive, I can hear it spin-up twice during the boot process.

I am still open to any other ideas.

Joe

Tony Sperling 07-13-2008 03:02 AM

Re: Win XP Not Recognizing DVD Drive

O.K. - you have to install SATA support for the HD - usually the installer
is listing all available driver software that supports your hardware, at
this point. What happens if you make sure not to tick off SATA support for
the optical drive?

Tony. . .

Joe Ezell 07-13-2008 03:51 AM

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> O.K. - you have to install SATA support for the HD - usually the installer
> is listing all available driver software that supports your hardware, at
> this point. What happens if you make sure not to tick off SATA support for
> the optical drive?

Tony, Thanks for the feedback.

If you are speaking of setting the DVD to IDE in the BIOS, I have tryed
that. It only disables the DVD. Otherwise, I am not sure where you are
recommending to tick off the SATA support. Sometimes it takes a brick to the
head to get me to understand something.

Joe

Kue2 07-13-2008 11:24 AM

Re: Win XP Not Recognizing DVD Drive

Try removing the upper & lower filters in the registry.

Tony Sperling 07-14-2008 09:51 AM

Re: Win XP Not Recognizing DVD Drive

No - and I am not at all sure this applies to your situation, but when you
press F6 you only arrive at the SATA driver installation at a later point -
at this time you [may] see driver support for all the supported devices the
installer uncovered. What I meant is to make sure to only actually install
the driver for the HD and leave any possible 'extra' support out for the
moment (until you see what happens!)

The SATA HD driver may contain more than one actual file and if the optical
drive is listed with it's own set of multiple drivers as well, then you may
have a problem identifying which is what?

Someone else mentioned the 'filters' - I think that is worth checking out -
that one surfaced here a while ago, as I remember.

Tony. . .