Velocity Reviews

-   -   share printer wireless with different OS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t624763-share-printer-wireless-with-different-os.html)

quitono 07-10-2008 12:24 AM

share printer wireless with different OS

The printer is connected to PC1, a desktop with *win2k professional" and
there is no problem in printing. PC2 is also a desktop with 'Vista Home" and
PC3 is a labtop with 'xp home" All the 3 pc can go internet wireless . When I
try to set up sharing the printer, it says that if I want to shared this
printer with different OS, I need to install the drivers and give a dialogue
box with details such as

alpha windows NT3.1

intel windows NT 3.1
NT 3.5 OR 3.51
mips NT 3.1
NT 3.5 or 3,51
NT 4.0
power pc windows NT 3.51
NT4
(there may be some errors in describing the details)
There are check boxes for you to tick and Windows 2000 is already tick.

Now am I suppose to check the appropriate boxes for VISTA and XP? If so
which one or am I suppose to load the drivers (Xp and Vista) for the printer
in PC1?

Kindly please advice as I need to be able to print wirelessly from PC2 and
PC3 as they are all in different rooms. Many thanks.

GTS 07-10-2008 04:29 PM

Re: share printer wireless with different OS

Download the drivers for XP and Vista (if one exists) from the manufacturer.
Install the XP driver on the XP machine as a LOCAL printer, uncheck Auto
detect... Then after the driver is installed, change the port to
\\computername\printersharename Do the same on the Vista machine with the
Vista driver.

quitono 07-10-2008 09:36 PM

Re: share printer wireless with different OS

I dl the epson cx4100 driver and install onto the Vista machine. During the
installation it ask to make sure the printer is connected to the pc and turn
on, which I choose manul instead. Next screen ask to choose the port
LPT1/2/3
COM1/2/3/4
FILE (print to file)
XPS

so which one should I select or do I ADD Port/Config Port
Please assist. FYI computer name is user-2d12345678 and the printershare
name is epson (Manufacturer does not extend helpto installing network
printer) Thanks

quitono 07-11-2008 12:33 AM

Re: share printer wireless with different OS

Ref my OP, do I just ignore the part where it ask me to install the
driver(for other OS) and just click next, thanks

GTS 07-11-2008 02:25 AM

Re: share printer wireless with different OS

It doesn't really matter which port you choose as you will be changing it as
soon as the driver install completes. I generally sleet LPT1.

GTS 07-11-2008 02:27 AM

Re: share printer wireless with different OS

I'm not sure what you're asking here. If you follow the instructions I gave
you, this question shouldn't come up.

quitono 07-11-2008 08:48 AM

Re: share printer wireless with different OS

After I add printer as local on my Vista LPT1 is check. Now how do I change
the port? WhenI right click the printer>properties>lightlight LPT1 and try to
'config port' - there's nothing to change. Can you show me steps wise,
how/where do I change the path. Pardon my limited knowledge, thanks

GTS 07-11-2008 09:16 PM

Re: share printer wireless with different OS

Select the Ports tab. Click Add Port. Select Local Port. click Add New
Port (or just double click Local Port). Enter the printer info as
\\computername\printersharename and Click OK. OK again....

gracetai 07-12-2008 10:56 PM

Re: share printer wireless with different OS

Finally I got it. Many thanks for your patience

GTS 07-13-2008 03:53 PM

Re: share printer wireless with different OS

You're welcome.