Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Open an Excel File in Excel, not HTML (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t624307-re-open-an-excel-file-in-excel-not-html.html)

viza 07-07-2008 11:04 PM

Re: Open an Excel File in Excel, not HTML

Hi

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 18:18:43 -0400, sheldonlg wrote:

> I have an Excel file residing on the server. When the user clicks a
> button to I send a stream with the following header info:

> filename=something.xls Pragma: no-cache
> Expires: 0
>
> followed by the html description of the Excel table.

What on earth does that mean? Are you sending html or excel?

If Excel, then try setting the correct content type, something like
application/x-ms-excel. MS do document these somewhere.

If you are sending an html table and would like it to be opened in Excel,
then you are simply not allowed. By sending the wrong filename extension
you are trying to exploit a bug in some versions of Internet Explorer,
which is quite a dubious thing to do. It is certainly not a "feature"
that is meant to be used that way.

viza