Velocity Reviews

-   -   wireless connection ?? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t624294-wireless-connection.html)

L.S. 07-07-2008 09:40 PM

wireless connection ??

Have cable hook-up at home running my desktop. cable-Charter modem- desktop.
Need to use my business laptop at home ~ 3 days a month.
Would like to connect my wireless router but only have it on when I need it.
Don't need the 2 systems hooked to each other, just need internet. In fact,
I don't want them talking to each other.

Is there a way to hook the router into the cable modem without running my
desktop through it?

Hope this explains what I'm trying to do. :)

L.

John 07-07-2008 10:20 PM

Re: wireless connection ??

"L.S." <notgood@yahooie.com> wrote in message
> Have cable hook-up at home running my desktop. cable-Charter modem-
> desktop.
> Need to use my business laptop at home ~ 3 days a month.
> Would like to connect my wireless router but only have it on when I need
> it.

You may have (to use a browser) to get into your WiFi configuration
interface to enable/disable wireless.

> Don't need the 2 systems hooked to each other, just need internet. In
> fact, I don't want them talking to each other.

No problem. That's the easiest setup.

> Is there a way to hook the router into the cable modem without running my
> desktop through it?

Sure. Final result would look something like this:
Cable - Charter modem - WiFi router - desktop (wired or wireless) and/or
laptop (wired or wireless)

You may have to enable MAC cloning on your WiFi router.

L.S. 07-07-2008 11:30 PM

Re: wireless connection ??

If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting leaving the router on all
the time and enable/disable wireless part of router?
When I said I'd like to turn off the wireless router, I mean actually unplug
it.

If I connect as you stated, "Cable - Charter modem - WiFi router - desktop
(wired or wireless) and/or
laptop (wired or wireless)" won't I have to have the router on all the
time?

(As you can tell, I'm learning)

L.

John 07-07-2008 11:47 PM

Re: wireless connection ??

"L.S." <notgood@notgood.com> wrote in message
> If I understand you correctly, you're suggesting leaving the router on all
> the time and enable/disable wireless part of router?

Exactly.

> When I said I'd like to turn off the wireless router, I mean actually
> unplug it.

That'll work as well. Rewire it back to the original setup (before you put a
router).

> If I connect as you stated, "Cable - Charter modem - WiFi router -
> desktop (wired or wireless) and/or
> laptop (wired or wireless)" won't I have to have the router on all the
> time?

Yes if you want internet access. The router acts as a device so you can have
multiple PCs or laptops share internet connection.

> (As you can tell, I'm learning)

We have to start somewhere :-)

L.S. 07-08-2008 12:23 AM

Re: wireless connection ??

Is there anyway to hook up a "splitter" to branch off to my desktop and one
to the router?
That way I can turn the router off when not in use, 25-27 days a month.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 07-08-2008 02:43 AM

Re: wireless connection ??

Hi
Typical connection should look like this,
http://www.ezlan.net/network/router.jpg
If you do not set the sharing the computers would not talk one to the other
even if they are on the same Network.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

L.S. 07-08-2008 02:12 PM

Re: wireless connection ??

Thanks.

The 'typical setup' is how we're running at work but still wondering if I
can hook the hardware up so I don't have the router powered on all the time,
just when I need it.
The cable modem has two outputs in back, cat5 and usb. Can I hook my desktop
to the usb(my desktop has an on-board lan card) and the router to the
cat5(to run my laptop when needed)?
Is there such a thing as a cat5 splitter? One leg running to my desktop and
the other running to the router.
Would that freak out the modem?

If this won't work, it's not that big of a deal. I can leave the router on
7/24 but seems a waist since I don't need it that much or just hook it up
when I need it.

Just wondering and playing with this.

John 07-08-2008 04:04 PM

Re: wireless connection ??

You mean you want to have 2 connections:
1) from cable modem to desktop
2) from cable modem to router

the answer is no.

John 07-08-2008 04:15 PM

Re: wireless connection ??

> Thanks.
>
> The 'typical setup' is how we're running at work but still wondering if I
> can hook the hardware up so I don't have the router powered on all the
> time, just when I need it.

Rewire the connection. It's not that hard.

> The cable modem has two outputs in back, cat5 and usb. Can I hook my
> desktop to the usb(my desktop has an on-board lan card) and the router to
> the cat5(to run my laptop when needed)?

Yes you can hook them up as described above. Will it work simultaneously?
No.

> Is there such a thing as a cat5 splitter? One leg running to my desktop
> and the other running to the router.

Let's assume there is a CAT5 "splitter". Here's the problem:
Your cable modem can only assign 1 public IP address to 1 device (either a
PC or a router connected to it). How is it going to assign multiple (public)
IP addresses to multiple devices (a PC and a router)?

L.S. 07-08-2008 05:39 PM

Re: wireless connection ??

OK, that answers it. :)

It was just a thought anyway.
Looks like the two way of doing it wil be to have the router inline and 'on'
7/24 or just hookup the router when I need it.
Thanks for all the info.

L.