Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   Digital Photography (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f37-digital-photography.html)
-   -   THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG! (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t624251-the-return-of-the-gary-fong.html)

Annika1980 07-07-2008 06:17 PM

THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!
 
Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. Check out these two pics taken a
fraction of a second apart.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018

In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.

The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
diffuser. Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
she had a Gary Fong.

If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:

http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html



Helen 07-07-2008 06:30 PM

Re: THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!
 
On Jul 7, 2:17*pm, Annika1980 <annika1...@aol.com> wrote:
> Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
> my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. *Check out these two pics taken a
> fraction of a second apart.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/9972...image/99721018
>
> In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
> my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
> able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
> Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
> get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
>
> The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
> diffuser. *Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
> Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
> she had a Gary Fong.
>
> If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
>
> http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html



A huge difference in the second pic. As you said the lighting is more
even without harsh shadows, giving the overall pic a more pleasing
result.
The Gary Fong Diffuser is on my wish list.

Oh, but there is one mistake that I'd like to say. They should have
hired you as the pro photographer.

Congrats to the happy couple.

Draco 07-07-2008 06:53 PM

Re: THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!
 
On Jul 7, 2:17*pm, Annika1980 <annika1...@aol.com> wrote:
> Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
> my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. *Check out these two pics taken a
> fraction of a second apart.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/9972...image/99721018
>
> In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
> my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
> able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
> Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
> get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
>
> The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
> diffuser. *Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
> Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
> she had a Gary Fong.
>
> If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
>
> http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html


I Had to set those side by side to see the difference. The second one
is a lot softer light. Yet some of the highlight are still a little
blocked up on the cake. Having the Fong does cure the problem of the
dark relatives hidding in the corners.
Good capture of the moment and feelings. Hope they have a wonderful
life ahead for them.

Draco


Helen 07-07-2008 07:39 PM

Re: THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!
 
On Jul 7, 2:17*pm, Annika1980 <annika1...@aol.com> wrote:
> Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
> my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. *Check out these two pics taken a
> fraction of a second apart.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/9972...image/99721018
>
> In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
> my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
> able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
> Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
> get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
>
> The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
> diffuser. *Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
> Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
> she had a Gary Fong.
>
> If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
>
> http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html



There is a huge difference in pic #2. As you said, the lighting is
more even with no harsh shadows, giving an overall pleasing effect.
The lighting was very difficult to work with. Your idea to rent the
5D was good one, especially with all that great glass you have. The
50mm f1.8 would have been ideal for some shots. It takes stunning
portraits when using the 40D.
But there is one mistake I must state, and that's they should have
hired you to be the pro photographer.

Congrats to the happy couple.

Alienjones 07-07-2008 11:45 PM

Re: THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!
 
Annika1980 wrote:
> Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
> my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. Check out these two pics taken a
> fraction of a second apart.
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
>
> In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
> my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
> able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
> Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
> get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
>
> The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
> diffuser. Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
> Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
> she had a Gary Fong.
>
> If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
>
> http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html
>
>


Unless you had the flash on a 6 feet long pole, the first shot wasn't
lit by your flash but by someone standing to the right of you - Not the
best way to make out you are some sort of wedding photographer. ROTFL.

Mark Thomas 07-08-2008 12:15 AM

Re: THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!
 
Alienjones wrote:
> Annika1980 wrote:
>> Taking some pics at a family wedding last week I was able to break out
>> my trusty Gary Fong flash diffuser. Check out these two pics taken a
>> fraction of a second apart.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
>>
>> In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
>> my shutter tripped, causing a severely overexposed shot which I was
>> able to rescue thanks to shooting in RAW mode.
>> Some of the highlights are still blown, reminding one of what they'd
>> get had they hired a low-budget photographer from Queensland.
>>
>> The second pic was illuminated by my 580EX bounced with my Gary Fong
>> diffuser. Note the more even lighting and the lack of harsh shadows.
>> Even the pro hired to shoot the wedding told me later that she wished
>> she had a Gary Fong.
>>
>> If you also suffer from Gary Fong envy you can be cured here:
>>
>> http://store.garyfonginc.com/liiido.html
>>
>>

>
> Unless you had the flash on a 6 feet long pole, the first shot wasn't
> lit by your flash but by someone standing to the right of you - Not the
> best way to make out you are some sort of wedding photographer. ROTFL.


Hey, Doug, nice reading comprehension!

Did you miss the bit that said "In the first pic another person's flash
fired"

Can you get *anything* right??


As for the images, I think the ideal shot is actually between the two -
the first actually has a nicer 3d look and the second, although much
better in softness and exposure, looks a little too flat to me.

Jeff R. 07-08-2008 01:33 AM

Re: THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!
 

"Alienjones" <not@public.forums> wrote in message
news:zUxck.17963$IK1.9295@news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> Annika1980 wrote:
>> ... Check out these two pics taken a
>> fraction of a second apart.
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721017
>> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/99721018
>>
>> In the first pic another person's flash fired at the exact moment as
>> my shutter tripped,


> Unless you had the flash on a 6 feet long pole, the first shot wasn't lit
> by your flash but by someone standing to the right of you - Not the best
> way to make out you are some sort of wedding photographer. ROTFL.


ROTFL indeed.
Another one for the idiot file.

Doug, are you functionally illiterate, or just plain stupid?
Or maybe both?

I can't wait for the court case.

--
Jeff R.
(but I guess I'll have to)


Annika1980 07-08-2008 01:34 AM

Re: THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!
 
On Jul 7, 2:30*pm, Helen <helensilverb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> The Gary Fong Diffuser is on my wish list.
>
> Oh, but there is one mistake that I'd like to say. *They should have
> hired you as the pro photographer.


No way! I don't do weddings, especially family weddings.
At least I don't get paid for them.




Helen 07-09-2008 12:15 AM

Re: THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!
 
On Jul 7, 9:34*pm, Annika1980 <annika1...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 7, 2:30*pm, Helen <helensilverb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > The Gary Fong Diffuser is on my wish list.

>
> > Oh, but there is one mistake that I'd like to say. *They should have
> > hired you as the pro photographer.

>
> No way! *I don't do weddings, especially family weddings.
> At least I don't get paid for them.


I hear ya! I've done some family weddings but mostly school
graduations. I found it boring as hell. I'd rather give up
photography than do that the rest of my life! It's just not my bag.
Helen

Helen 07-09-2008 06:19 AM

Re: THE RETURN OF THE GARY FONG!
 
On Jul 8, 9:54*am, George Kerby <ghost_top...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/7/08 8:34 PM, in article
> 818e4310-a119-4baa-b4ec-67e2c4db2...@m44g2000hsc.googlegroups.com,
>
> "Annika1980" <annika1...@aol.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 7, 2:30�pm, Helen <helensilverb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>
> >> The Gary Fong Diffuser is on my wish list.

>
> >> Oh, but there is one mistake that I'd like to say. �They should have
> >> hired you as the pro photographer.

>
> > No way! *I don't do weddings, especially family weddings.
> > At least I don't get paid for them.

>
> Agreed. Stick with the wildlife and sports.
>
> That was NOT a good wedding picture, despite what "Helen" 'tells' you.



FYI I didn't state whether it was a good or bad pic. I merely agreed
that there was a huge difference between pic #1 & pic #2. ie: the
lighting being more harsh and uneven, etc.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.