Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: That slapping mirror (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t624088-re-that-slapping-mirror.html)

Matt Ion 07-07-2008 12:38 AM

Re: That slapping mirror

J.H. Holliday wrote:
> "Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> news:MPG.22db46618d9c589d98bd2c@news.supernews.com ...
>> Took the plunge and just bought my first DLSR. Could so far afford the
>> luxury of using cameras without slapping mirrors (my last camera was a
>> Sony R1).
>>
>> Well, this slapping mirror is really an earthquake. When you press the
>> shutter, it makes the entire camera vibrate.
>> I'm still awaiting delivery of a 70-300mm lens, but I'm wondering if
>> this slapping mirror will compromise sharpness at long focal lengths.
>> What is the solution here? Using MLU for every shot can't be an option.
>> --
>>
>> Alfred Molon
>> ------------------------------
>>

> Ya know, people asked the same question about the Nikon F when they brought
> it our in the 1950's....

I was just thinking, it hasn't been a major issue for the half-century
or so that SLRs have been around, so why should it be now?

Chris Malcolm 07-08-2008 11:11 AM

Re: That slapping mirror

Matt Ion <soundy106@gmail.com> wrote:
> J.H. Holliday wrote:
>> "Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> news:MPG.22db46618d9c589d98bd2c@news.supernews.com ...
>>> Took the plunge and just bought my first DLSR. Could so far afford the
>>> luxury of using cameras without slapping mirrors (my last camera was a
>>> Sony R1).
>>>
>>> Well, this slapping mirror is really an earthquake. When you press the
>>> shutter, it makes the entire camera vibrate.
>>> I'm still awaiting delivery of a 70-300mm lens, but I'm wondering if
>>> this slapping mirror will compromise sharpness at long focal lengths.
>>> What is the solution here? Using MLU for every shot can't be an option.
>>> --
>>>
>>> Alfred Molon
>>> ------------------------------
>>>

>> Ya know, people asked the same question about the Nikon F when they brought
>> it our in the 1950's....

> I was just thinking, it hasn't been a major issue for the half-century
> or so that SLRs have been around, so why should it be now?

It's always been a major issue for those photographers who took the
kind of photographs which were affected by it, which most
photographers didn't. So MLU tended only to appear in the more
expensive professional models.

--
Chris Malcolm cam@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Hans Kruse 07-08-2008 12:27 PM

Re: That slapping mirror

"Chris Malcolm" <cam@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message

> It's always been a major issue for those photographers who took the
> kind of photographs which were affected by it, which most
> photographers didn't. So MLU tended only to appear in the more
> expensive professional models.

Many cheaper models have MLU also. The Canon Rebel models have had it since
the 350D.

--
Med venlig hilsen/Kind regards,
Hans Kruse www.hanskruse.com, http://hans-kruse.blogspot.com/

Hans Kruse 07-08-2008 01:11 PM

Re: That slapping mirror

Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article <48735d2f$0$90276$14726298@news.sunsite.dk>, Hans Kruse
> says...
>>
>> Many cheaper models have MLU also. The Canon Rebel models have had
>> it since the 350D.

> In fact it costs nothing to implement MLU, since any DSLR is capable
> of lifting the mirror. It's a marketing decision to leave out this
> feature.

Correct and now with live view most cameras have this built-in anyway. Most
of the time I combine live view and MLU in this way.

nospam 07-08-2008 05:23 PM

Re: That slapping mirror

In article <MPG.22dd81ddc44bb81598bd40@news.supernews.com>, Alfred
Molon <alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > Many cheaper models have MLU also. The Canon Rebel models have had it since
> > the 350D.

> In fact it costs nothing to implement MLU, since any DSLR is capable of
> lifting the mirror. It's a marketing decision to leave out this feature.

that's a large part of it, but it's not 100% marketing. if the mirror
can stay up, the shutter has to be fully light-tight. on a camera that
does not have true mirror lockup, they can cut costs with a shutter
that 'leaks' a little.