Velocity Reviews

-   -   No restore points? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t624062-no-restore-points.html)

XS11E 07-06-2008 08:23 PM

No restore points?

Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on ASUS M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2 GB
memory (was 4 GB but finally had to remove 2 GB to prevent constant
weird failures.)

I inadvertently hit the "Sleep" button on my keyboard (I *K*N*O*W* I
should have disabled it!) and had the usual problems getting the PC to
awake, it did wake up but failed to install a USB Printer and also
failed to install my mouse software so.....

I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused to
boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze, the screen
went black and only power off worked.

OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open Device
Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is well
except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card, different errors
so...

Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is turned
off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?

BTW, USP printer and USB mouse install properly on first reboot.

I'll somehow get the Hauppauge card to install or I'll restore an
Acronis Image but... WTF turned off System Restore and lost all my
restore points? I don't dual boot, only one OS is installed.

Colin Barnhorst 07-07-2008 01:05 AM

Re: No restore points?

"XS11E" <xs11e@mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9AD3882EA3C7Bxs11emailinatorcom@127.0.0.1. ..

> Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on ASUS M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2 GB
> memory (was 4 GB but finally had to remove 2 GB to prevent constant
> weird failures.)
>
> I inadvertently hit the "Sleep" button on my keyboard (I *K*N*O*W* I
> should have disabled it!) and had the usual problems getting the PC to
> awake, it did wake up but failed to install a USB Printer and also
> failed to install my mouse software so.....
>
> I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused to
> boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze, the screen
> went black and only power off worked.
>
> OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open Device
> Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is well
> except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card, different errors
> so...
>
> Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is turned
> off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?
>
> BTW, USP printer and USB mouse install properly on first reboot.
>
> I'll somehow get the Hauppauge card to install or I'll restore an
> Acronis Image but... WTF turned off System Restore and lost all my
> restore points? I don't dual boot, only one OS is installed.

Are you dual booting with XP? If so XP is destroying your restore points
every time you boot into XP. See:

Colin Barnhorst 07-07-2008 01:06 AM

Re: No restore points?

"XS11E" <xs11e@mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9AD3882EA3C7Bxs11emailinatorcom@127.0.0.1. ..

> Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on ASUS M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2 GB
> memory (was 4 GB but finally had to remove 2 GB to prevent constant
> weird failures.)
>
> I inadvertently hit the "Sleep" button on my keyboard (I *K*N*O*W* I
> should have disabled it!) and had the usual problems getting the PC to
> awake, it did wake up but failed to install a USB Printer and also
> failed to install my mouse software so.....
>
> I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused to
> boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze, the screen
> went black and only power off worked.
>
> OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open Device
> Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is well
> except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card, different errors
> so...
>
> Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is turned
> off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?
>
> BTW, USP printer and USB mouse install properly on first reboot.
>
> I'll somehow get the Hauppauge card to install or I'll restore an
> Acronis Image but... WTF turned off System Restore and lost all my
> restore points? I don't dual boot, only one OS is installed.

Sorry, here is the link:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

Mick Murphy 07-07-2008 09:39 AM

Re: No restore points?

Colin, he said he is not dual-booting.
Last line in his post.
--
Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

Colin Barnhorst 07-07-2008 01:09 PM

Re: No restore points?

"XS11E" <xs11e@mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9AD3882EA3C7Bxs11emailinatorcom@127.0.0.1. ..

> Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on ASUS M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2 GB
> memory (was 4 GB but finally had to remove 2 GB to prevent constant
> weird failures.)
>
> I inadvertently hit the "Sleep" button on my keyboard (I *K*N*O*W* I
> should have disabled it!) and had the usual problems getting the PC to
> awake, it did wake up but failed to install a USB Printer and also
> failed to install my mouse software so.....
>
> I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused to
> boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze, the screen
> went black and only power off worked.
>
> OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open Device
> Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is well
> except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card, different errors
> so...
>
> Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is turned
> off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?
>
> BTW, USP printer and USB mouse install properly on first reboot.
>
> I'll somehow get the Hauppauge card to install or I'll restore an
> Acronis Image but... WTF turned off System Restore and lost all my
> restore points? I don't dual boot, only one OS is installed.

How much free space is on the hard drive?

Carlos 07-07-2008 03:25 PM

RE: No restore points?

Hi,
Those constant weird failures when 4 GB are present can be patched by
reducing memory speed from 800 MHz to 667 MHz.
:)
Carlos

XS11E 07-07-2008 06:04 PM

Re: No restore points?

"Colin Barnhorst" <c.barnhorst@comcast.net> wrote:

> "XS11E" <xs11e@mailinator.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9AD3882EA3C7Bxs11emailinatorcom@127.0.0.1. ..
>>
>> Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on ASUS M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2
>> GB memory (was 4 GB but finally had to remove 2 GB to prevent
>> constant weird failures.)
>>
>> I inadvertently hit the "Sleep" button on my keyboard (I
>> *K*N*O*W* I should have disabled it!) and had the usual problems
>> getting the PC to awake, it did wake up but failed to install a
>> USB Printer and also failed to install my mouse software so.....
>>
>> I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused
>> to boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze,
>> the screen went black and only power off worked.
>>
>> OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open
>> Device Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is
>> well except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card,
>> different errors so...
>>
>> Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is
>> turned off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?
>>
>> BTW, USP printer and USB mouse install properly on first reboot.
>>
>> I'll somehow get the Hauppauge card to install or I'll restore an
>> Acronis Image but... WTF turned off System Restore and lost all
>> my restore points? I don't dual boot, only one OS is installed.
>>

> How much free space is on the hard drive?

Around 60 G.

XS11E 07-07-2008 06:05 PM

RE: No restore points?

Carlos <Carlos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Those constant weird failures when 4 GB are present can be patched
> by reducing memory speed from 800 MHz to 667 MHz.

Much easier to pull 2 GB, I don't need more than that and I can use the
other 2GB elsewhere.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

XS11E 07-07-2008 06:18 PM

New problem, was: No restore points?

XS11E <xs11e@mailinator.com> wrote:

> I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused
> to boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze, the
> screen went black and only power off worked.
>
> OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open
> Device Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is
> well except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card,
> different errors so...

The Hauppauge card defied re-installation of the drivers. I decided to
drop back and punt so... re-installed the original HP motherboard, did
a system restore to the original Vista Home 32 bit, Hauppauge card
installed perfectly!

Then, Windows Update installed a bunch of updates, PC wouldn't boot,
finally did, the card had NO drivers installed and even the latest
drivers from Hauppauge won't install, screen goes black or computer
locks up.

So. It doesn't matter if I'm running 32 or 64 bit, doesn't matter
which MB (the HP uses an nVidia chip set, the ASUS uses an ATI chipset)
Microsoft has an update that just kills the Hauppauge card!

Any ideas before I have to remove each update one by one to see which
it is?

Colin Barnhorst 07-07-2008 09:14 PM

Re: New problem, was: No restore points?

"XS11E" <xs11e@NOSPAMyahoo.com> wrote in message

> The Hauppauge card defied re-installation of the drivers. I decided to
> drop back and punt so... re-installed the original HP motherboard, did
> a system restore to the original Vista Home 32 bit, Hauppauge card
> installed perfectly!
>
> Then, Windows Update installed a bunch of updates, PC wouldn't boot,
> finally did, the card had NO drivers installed and even the latest
> drivers from Hauppauge won't install, screen goes black or computer
> locks up.
>
> So. It doesn't matter if I'm running 32 or 64 bit, doesn't matter
> which MB (the HP uses an nVidia chip set, the ASUS uses an ATI chipset)
> Microsoft has an update that just kills the Hauppauge card!
>
> Any ideas before I have to remove each update one by one to see which
> it is?

> The Usenet Improvement Project:
> http://improve-usenet.org

What a PITA!