Velocity Reviews

-   -   Eclipse IDE Question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t623992-eclipse-ide-question.html)

hayes.randy@gmail.com 07-06-2008 06:03 AM

Eclipse IDE Question

Hi All,

I am new to Eclipse and it is mystifying me why the Build Project and
Build All items on the Project menu are grayed out! I am able to run
and debug but can't figure out to compile a JAR file!

Anyone?

Thanks!

Roland de Ruiter 07-06-2008 01:17 PM

Re: Eclipse IDE Question

On 6-7-2008 8:03, hayes.randy@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to Eclipse and it is mystifying me why the Build Project and
> Build All items on the Project menu are grayed out! I am able to run
> and debug but can't figure out to compile a JAR file!
>
> Anyone?
>
> Thanks!

In the Project menu, have you also seen the check mark in front of
"Build Automatically"?

When "Build Automatically" is selected, Eclipse compiles Java files on
the fly (when you save a file from the editor, IIRC), so your project is
always in a "built"-state. You'll never have to compile or build a
project yourself.

What do you exactly mean by compiling a JAR file? If you want to create
a JAR file of the compiled code, you'll need to use the export wizard:
right-click on the project in the package explorer and select Export
from the menu. Then in the Export window, expand the "Java" item and
select "JAR file". Click on the Next button and follow the wizard's next
steps.
--
Regards,

Roland

hayes.randy@gmail.com 07-06-2008 03:35 PM

Re: Eclipse IDE Question

On Jul 6, 8:17 am, Roland de Ruiter <roland.de.rui...@example.invalid>
wrote:
> On 6-7-2008 8:03, hayes.ra...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi All,

> > I am new to Eclipse and it is mystifying me why the Build Project and
> > Build All items on the Project menu are grayed out! I am able to run
> > and debug but can't figure out to compile a JAR file!

> > Anyone?

> > Thanks!

> In the Project menu, have you also seen the check mark in front of
> "Build Automatically"?
>
> When "Build Automatically" is selected, Eclipse compiles Java files on
> the fly (when you save a file from the editor, IIRC), so your project is
> always in a "built"-state. You'll never have to compile or build a
> project yourself.
>
> What do you exactly mean by compiling a JAR file? If you want to create
> a JAR file of the compiled code, you'll need to use the export wizard:
> right-click on the project in the package explorer and select Export
> from the menu. Then in the Export window, expand the "Java" item and
> select "JAR file". Click on the Next button and follow the wizard's next
> steps.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Roland

Thanks Roland - I didn't know about the "Export" step. I was used to
JBuilder 2005 that did that automatically.