Velocity Reviews

-   -   ihug still offline (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t623918-ihug-still-offline.html)

Craig Shore 07-05-2008 10:56 AM

ihug still offline

Just to let you guys know, the ihug (Vodafone) and Slingshot users
have been unable to use newsgroups since the 28th June.

Even though ihug's Network Status page says that the news server has
been reset and is working again it isn't. It's been running fine the
whole time, it just isn't talking to anything upstream. Nothing gets
out and nothing comes in.

A few of us have complained to Telecommunication Dispute Resolution
(www.tdr.org.nz) to try and get Vodafone to do something about it.

Jasen Betts 07-08-2008 11:37 AM

Re: ihug still offline

On 2008-07-05, Craig Shore <craig.shore@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just to let you guys know, the ihug (Vodafone) and Slingshot users
> have been unable to use newsgroups since the 28th June.

:(

freenet (compass) has had no usenet since september.
xnet seems good so far.. nice price too.

> Even though ihug's Network Status page says that the news server has
> been reset and is working again it isn't. It's been running fine the
> whole time, it just isn't talking to anything upstream. Nothing gets
> out and nothing comes in.
>
> A few of us have complained to Telecommunication Dispute Resolution
> (www.tdr.org.nz) to try and get Vodafone to do something about it.

good luck.

Bye.
Jasen

Adam 09-04-2008 09:44 AM

Re: ihug still offline

Seems alright to me.

So maybe its some subscribers,
or some newsgroups.

Adam 09-04-2008 11:42 PM

Re: ihug still offline

Craig Sutton wrote:

> "Adam" <nospam@example.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Seems alright to me.
>>
>> So maybe its some subscribers,
>> or some newsgroups.
>>

> I'm getting this
>
> 502 You have no permission to talk. Goodbye.
>
> Configuration:
> Account: Ihug NZwide
> Server: news.ihug.co.nz
> Protocol: NNTP
> Port: 119
> Secure(SSL): 0
> Error Number: 502
> Code: 800ccca0
>

> also old cached web pages
>

> -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to
> news@netfront.net --

Perhaps that's an old server.

I'm using news.wlg.ihug.co.nz just because its
close to where we are. 119 as well.

Craig Shore 09-05-2008 06:51 AM

Re: ihug still offline

On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 11:42:38 +1200, Adam <nospam@example.com> wrote:

>Craig Sutton wrote:
>

>> "Adam" <nospam@example.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Seems alright to me.
>>>
>>> So maybe its some subscribers,
>>> or some newsgroups.
>>>

>> I'm getting this
>>
>> 502 You have no permission to talk. Goodbye.
>>
>> Configuration:
>> Account: Ihug NZwide
>> Server: news.ihug.co.nz
>> Protocol: NNTP
>> Port: 119
>> Secure(SSL): 0
>> Error Number: 502
>> Code: 800ccca0
>>

>> also old cached web pages
>>

>> -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to
>> news@netfront.net --

>Perhaps that's an old server.
>
>I'm using news.wlg.ihug.co.nz just because its
>close to where we are. 119 as well.

I'm using news.ihug.co.nz and it seems to be working fine.

Craig Sutton 09-05-2008 10:15 AM

Re: ihug still offline

"Craig Shore" <craigshore@paradise.net.nz> wrote in message
> On Fri, 05 Sep 2008 11:42:38 +1200, Adam <nospam@example.com> wrote:
>
>>Craig Sutton wrote:
>>

>>> "Adam" <nospam@example.com> wrote in message

>>> I'm getting this
>>>
>>> 502 You have no permission to talk. Goodbye.
>>>
>>> Configuration:
>>> Account: Ihug NZwide
>>> Server: news.ihug.co.nz
>>> Protocol: NNTP
>>> Port: 119
>>> Secure(SSL): 0
>>> Error Number: 502
>>> Code: 800ccca0
>>>

>>> also old cached web pages
>>>

>>> -- Posted on news://freenews.netfront.net - Complaints to
>>> news@netfront.net --

>>Perhaps that's an old server.
>>
>>I'm using news.wlg.ihug.co.nz just because its
>>close to where we are. 119 as well.

> I'm using news.ihug.co.nz and it seems to be working fine.

Fixed it. Manually added Ihug DNS settings rather than use "automatically
obtain" and now its working.

Jasen Betts 09-05-2008 10:26 AM

Re: ihug still offline

On 2008-09-04, Craig Sutton <xcxcnxxnxxx@ihug.co.nz> wrote:

> "Adam" <nospam@example.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Seems alright to me.
>>
>> So maybe its some subscribers,
>> or some newsgroups.
>>

> I'm getting this
>
> 502 You have no permission to talk. Goodbye.

It says the same to me, but I'm not connecting from an ihug ip address,
coming from 118.93.92.23 you appear to be. If I were you I'd try to
contact the whoever maintains that server because it's misconfigured
misconfigured.

It should be telling me to **** of, but not you.

Bye.
Jasen

Ralph Fox 09-05-2008 10:30 AM

Re: ihug still offline

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:54:12 +1200, in message <g9oej0$1526$1@adenine.netfront.net>,
Craig Sutton wrote:

> "Adam" <nospam@example.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Seems alright to me.
> >
> > So maybe its some subscribers,
> > or some newsgroups.
> >

> I'm getting this
>
> 502 You have no permission to talk. Goodbye.

The news server thinks your IP address is not an Ihug IP address.

Contact Ihug and ask them to add your IP address to the news server's config.

Curiously, for some reason Ihug has no rDNS on 118.93.92.* IP addresses,
although there is rDNS for the /24 on either side.
Maybe Ihug had reserved 118.93.92.* for subleasing.

> Configuration:
> Account: Ihug NZwide
> Server: news.ihug.co.nz
> Protocol: NNTP
> Port: 119
> Secure(SSL): 0
> Error Number: 502
> Code: 800ccca0

The config to be changed is at Ihug's end, not yours.

--
Cheers,
Ralph

Jasen Betts 09-05-2008 10:31 AM

Re: ihug still offline

On 2008-09-04, Puddle <Puddle@invalid.xxx> wrote:

> They will probably just turn it off. It probably isn't worth it for
> them to keep it when probably only a very small amount of people use it.

There's a possibility of that: Freenet changed my IP address and
after that I couldn't access their news server, requests for help
fell through the cracks.

Bye.
Jasen

Craig Sutton 09-05-2008 11:21 AM

Re: ihug still offline

"Ralph Fox" <-rf-nz-@-.invalid> wrote in message
> On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 22:54:12 +1200, in message
> <g9oej0$1526$1@adenine.netfront.net>,
> Craig Sutton wrote:
>

>> "Adam" <nospam@example.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Seems alright to me.
>> >
>> > So maybe its some subscribers,
>> > or some newsgroups.
>> >

>> I'm getting this
>>
>> 502 You have no permission to talk. Goodbye.

> The news server thinks your IP address is not an Ihug IP address.
>
> Contact Ihug and ask them to add your IP address to the news server's
> config.

> Curiously, for some reason Ihug has no rDNS on 118.93.92.* IP addresses,
> although there is rDNS for the /24 on either side.
> Maybe Ihug had reserved 118.93.92.* for subleasing.
>

>> Configuration:
>> Account: Ihug NZwide
>> Server: news.ihug.co.nz
>> Protocol: NNTP
>> Port: 119
>> Secure(SSL): 0
>> Error Number: 502
>> Code: 800ccca0

> The config to be changed is at Ihug's end, not yours.

I've manually set the DNS and the newsserver is now working but still
getting a lot of old cached web pages.

Maybe someone who knows what they are talking about could tell Ihug /
Vodaphone to fix it.