Velocity Reviews

-   -   Router power consumption (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t623891-router-power-consumption.html)

ML 07-05-2008 03:50 AM

Router power consumption

Is the signal strength of a router depends on the router's power consumption?
To compare a router that uses 3.3V and one that uses 12V. Does this mean
that the 12V one can give stronger signal and support more wireless clients?

Tks.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 07-05-2008 04:30 PM

Re: Router power consumption

Hi
The DC power supply voltage has noting to do with the RF output.
The RF output is rated in mW (milliWatts). The typical RF output of almost
all the Entry Level Wireless Devices is about 33mW regardless of their power
supply rating.
There are more expensive devices that are rated as High Power, and provide
up to 100mW.
Number of clients has to do more with the Bandwidth than the power.
May be this can further help.
..Extending Distance - http://www.ezlan.net/Distance.html
Wireless Router as an Access Point - http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
Wireless Modes - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Modes.html
Wireless Bridging - http://www.ezlan.net/bridging.html
Hi Gain Antenna - http://www.ezlan.net/antennae.html
Network Bandwidth (Speed) - http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
How many concurrent users can surf the Internet through the same Wireless
Connection - http://www.ezlan.net/faq.html#wconcurrent
Jack (MVP-Networking).

ML 07-06-2008 02:52 AM

Re: Router power consumption

Hello

So it is okay to attach a 5dBi antenna to this router that uses 3.3V?
Would the router able to support it since it is using such low power
consumption?
I need to confirm this with the experts.

Tks.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 07-06-2008 06:06 PM

Re: Router power consumption

Hi
Yeah, it very good idea to attach better Antenna.
3.3V is the voltage Not the power. The power is W = I X V (Watt= 1A x
1Volt).
An electrical device that uses 3.3V and source 1 A provides Power of
3.3Watts.
An electrical device that uses 6.6V and source .5 A provides Power of
3.3Watts.
I.e. Different Voltage, but both devices provide the same power. The choice
of the Voltage is a design choice and Not a direct issue of Power.

w_tom 07-07-2008 01:56 PM

On Jul 5, 10:52*pm, ML <M...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> So it is okay to attach a 5dBi antenna to this router that uses 3.3V?
> Would the router able to support it since it is using such low power
> consumption?

RF output power does not change with the antenna. That antenna
would direct more power in one direction - less power in another
direction.

Phillip Windell 07-07-2008 02:29 PM

Re: Router power consumption

Output power is regulated by the FCC in the US. I'm sure there are other
"entities" that regulate them in other countries.

The "gain" of an antenna is the ability of the antenna itself to improve
efficiency all by itself with the existing power it is already given.
Yes,..you can use the antenna, but as some others have mentioned it may be
"directional".

--
Phillip Windell
www.wandtv.com