Velocity Reviews

-   -   SCJP Help needed. (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t623413-scjp-help-needed.html)

arun.viswanath@gmail.com 07-02-2008 12:24 PM

SCJP Help needed.

Hi All,

This is Arun. I'm planning for the latest SCJP certification . Please
let me know the following for my preparation
1. What is the latest version ?
2. Syllabus and Pattern for the Exam
3. Best Books and some Url's for Exam preparation

Thanks in Advance.
Arun V.

Manish Pandit 07-02-2008 07:30 PM

Re: SCJP Help needed.

On Jul 2, 5:24 am, "arun.viswan...@gmail.com"
<arun.viswan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is Arun. I'm planning for the latest SCJP certification . Please
> let me know the following for my preparation
> 1. What is the latest version ?
> 2. Syllabus and Pattern for the Exam
> 3. Best Books and some Url's for Exam preparation
>
> Thanks in Advance.
> Arun V.

I'd recommend working towards your Google-fu just as you'd work
towards the certification.

http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/scjp.xml

This is the very first result when you Google scjp. Click on the
hyperlinks based on the exam version for your answers. Also check out
JavaRanch for resources and expert advice on Sun's certifications.

-cheers,
Manish

Evans 07-03-2008 02:40 PM

Re: SCJP Help needed.

On 2 Jul, 13:24, "arun.viswan...@gmail.com" <arun.viswan...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is Arun. I'm planning for the latest SCJP certification . Please
> let me know the following for my preparation
> 1. What is the latest version ?
> 2. Syllabus and Pattern for the Exam
> 3. Best Books and some Url's for Exam preparation
>
> Thanks in Advance.
> Arun V.

You don't need anyone to tell you the latest version and what topics
to read for the exam.
I thought those things were covered on Sun website that deals with
certifications....
Go do a bit of research yourself on their site and, if you still don't
know that topics to cover, I would suggest you save your money and do
something else.

Evans
http://www.javawug.org

thufir 07-05-2008 06:23 AM

Re: SCJP Help needed.

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:30:26 -0700, Manish Pandit wrote:

> I'd recommend working towards your Google-fu just as you'd work towards
> the certification.
>
> http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/scjp.xml

I, for one, am disappointed at the lack of certification groups.

-Thufir

Arved Sandstrom 07-05-2008 10:40 AM

Re: SCJP Help needed.

"thufir" <hawat.thufir@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:30:26 -0700, Manish Pandit wrote:
>
>> I'd recommend working towards your Google-fu just as you'd work towards
>> the certification.
>>
>> http://www.sun.com/training/certification/java/scjp.xml

> I, for one, am disappointed at the lack of certification groups.
>
> -Thufir

I assume you mean where you can get tested? Your mileage would obviously
vary depending on where you are, sure. However, I'm guessing the coverage is
pretty good. I checked out Prometric testing sites for the Java SE 5
certification, and found 4 sites in Nova Scotia (where I live), and two in
Estonia (where my parents are from). In addition, I found 2 in Angola, 2 in
Papua New Guinea, 5 in Yemen. There's one in Afghanistan even, assuming you
survive the trip to Kabul.

Admittedly you might have to travel a bit, and fork out some semi-serious
cash for the trip, but for a certification of this kind one should keep the
context in mind - it's not a flimsy piece of paper for a one-week
correspondence course. You can't expect the exam to be administered
electronically, any more than you'd want students writing a university final
exam to get to do it at home.

AHS

thufir 07-06-2008 01:59 PM

Re: SCJP Help needed.

On Sat, 05 Jul 2008 10:40:21 +0000, Arved Sandstrom wrote:

>> I, for one, am disappointed at the lack of certification groups.
>>
>> -Thufir

> I assume you mean where you can get tested? Your mileage would obviously
> vary depending on where you are, sure. However, I'm guessing the
> coverage is pretty good. I checked out Prometric testing sites for the
> Java SE 5 certification, and found 4 sites in Nova Scotia (where I
> live), and two in Estonia (where my parents are from). In addition, I
> found 2 in Angola, 2 in Papua New Guinea, 5 in Yemen. There's one in
> Afghanistan even, assuming you survive the trip to Kabul.

Heh. I was referring more to something like a "Java Users Group" where
others are studying for the SCJP and so forth, together.

-Thufir