Velocity Reviews

-   -   D300 Raw and PhotoshopCS2 (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t622684-d300-raw-and-photoshopcs2.html)

Sheila 06-28-2008 03:33 AM

D300 Raw and PhotoshopCS2

Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

nospam 06-28-2008 03:59 AM

Re: D300 Raw and PhotoshopCS2

In article <Shi9k.6105$1I.875@bignews4.bellsouth.net>, Sheila
<swdalton@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

camera raw includes a dng converter which can convert the d300 raws to
dng, which can then be opened by cs2. other than that, you'll need to
get cs3 or elements.

Paul Furman 06-28-2008 04:02 AM

Sheila wrote:

> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

Glossary first:
ACR = Adobe Camera Raw, PS/CS's raw converter plugin
DNG = Digital NeGative open raw format

Use Adobe DNG converter which comes in the ACR converter download as a
second file. Mix & match: you probably need the latest DNG thing from
ACR for CS3 and an older ACR thing which is compatible with CS2.

I do this for a D200 on CS1 & delete the NEFs, saving the DNGs. The only
thing you lose is the ability to use Nikon's converter. Camera companies
aren't software companies so that's not a big loss though some say their
converter performs better it still stinks from a user's standpoint.
Don't encourage them. All raw converters but the camera manufacturer's
will work on DNG.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

N 06-28-2008 09:13 AM

"Sheila" <swdalton@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

Forget it and use Nikon Capture NX. You'll get much better results.

U*U 06-28-2008 12:26 PM

Re: D300 Raw and PhotoshopCS2

"Sheila" <swdalton@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3269

The most recent version 3.7 would include previous cameras like the D200

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

me@mine.net 06-28-2008 01:18 PM

Re: D300 Raw and PhotoshopCS2

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 23:33:54 -0400, in rec.photo.digital Sheila
<swdalton@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS

Nospam and Paul have pointed out the DNG => ACR route. If you only want the
very basics of NEF conversion, there is a Nikon plugin that should do this.
Look at the View NX package. You might also consider 3rd party converters
such as Bibble. Bibble Pro has a stand alone program and a PSCS2 plugin.

Sheila 06-29-2008 03:06 AM

U*U wrote:
> "Sheila" <swdalton@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
>> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3269
>
> The most recent version 3.7 would include previous cameras like the D200
>
> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

Yea, that's all I found too.

Sheila 06-29-2008 03:14 AM

N wrote:
> "Sheila" <swdalton@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>
>> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon
>> D300 raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

> Forget it and use Nikon Capture NX. You'll get much better results.

I will try the free trial of Nikon CaptureNX before I upgrade to CS3.

Sheila 06-29-2008 03:15 AM

U*U wrote:
> "Sheila" <swdalton@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
>> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=3269
>
> The most recent version 3.7 would include previous cameras like the D200
>
> http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...atform=Windows

Yes, I guess I'll do a trial of Nikon CaptureNX, then decide whether or
not to get that or CS3.

N 06-29-2008 05:34 AM

news:Z3D9k.15808$3F5.15046@bignews2.bellsouth.net. ..
>N wrote:
>> "Sheila" <swdalton@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a plug-in for Photoshop CS2 that supports Nikon D300
>>> raw? The only plug-in that I have found needs Photoshop CS3.

>> Forget it and use Nikon Capture NX. You'll get much better results.
>>

> I will try the free trial of Nikon CaptureNX before I upgrade to CS3.

Good idea. Make sure you check out some tutorials on NX as it's quite a
different procedure, but the results can be fabulous.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/capturenx/