Velocity Reviews

-   -   RAW question (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t621820-raw-question.html)

tony cooper 06-23-2008 03:16 PM

RAW question

I have a Nikon D40 that is capable of shooting RAW as a .NEF file, but
I don't have Capture NX. I have Adobe Photoshop 7.0, but I don't have
any interest in upgrading to CS. PS7.0 does everything that I need to
do with this exception.

Before I pop for Capture NX, I'd like to be sure that there's
something to be gained. So many people rave about processing in RAW,
but I've never seen a before and after that shows something that can't
be done in PS7.

Anyone have some examples of a .jpg processed as a .jpg, and the same
shot adjusted in Capture NX and then saved as a .jpg?

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Chris H 06-23-2008 03:54 PM

Re: RAW question

In message <n4fv54dipih3sljriflra837gg62ett7ib@4ax.com>, tony cooper
<tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> writes

Have a look at www.dxo.com
then you will see why RAW is a good idea

Akiralx 06-23-2008 03:55 PM

Re: RAW question

"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>I have a Nikon D40 that is capable of shooting RAW as a .NEF file, but
> I don't have Capture NX. I have Adobe Photoshop 7.0, but I don't have
> any interest in upgrading to CS. PS7.0 does everything that I need to
> do with this exception.
>
> Before I pop for Capture NX, I'd like to be sure that there's
> something to be gained. So many people rave about processing in RAW,
> but I've never seen a before and after that shows something that can't
> be done in PS7.
>
> Anyone have some examples of a .jpg processed as a .jpg, and the same
> shot adjusted in Capture NX and then saved as a .jpg?

Can't help you on that - but you may get NX cheaply now as an upgraded
version is coming. True in the UK anyway.

David J Taylor 06-23-2008 04:05 PM

Re: RAW question

tony cooper wrote:
> I have a Nikon D40 that is capable of shooting RAW as a .NEF file, but
> I don't have Capture NX. I have Adobe Photoshop 7.0, but I don't have
> any interest in upgrading to CS. PS7.0 does everything that I need to
> do with this exception.
>
> Before I pop for Capture NX, I'd like to be sure that there's
> something to be gained. So many people rave about processing in RAW,
> but I've never seen a before and after that shows something that can't
> be done in PS7.
>
> Anyone have some examples of a .jpg processed as a .jpg, and the same
> shot adjusted in Capture NX and then saved as a .jpg?

There's a free raw converter here:

http://www.rawtherapee.com/

which supports the D40. It might be worth a look.

Cheers,
David

tony cooper 06-23-2008 04:37 PM

Re: RAW question

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 16:05:42 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:
>> I have a Nikon D40 that is capable of shooting RAW as a .NEF file, but
>> I don't have Capture NX. I have Adobe Photoshop 7.0, but I don't have
>> any interest in upgrading to CS. PS7.0 does everything that I need to
>> do with this exception.
>>
>> Before I pop for Capture NX, I'd like to be sure that there's
>> something to be gained. So many people rave about processing in RAW,
>> but I've never seen a before and after that shows something that can't
>> be done in PS7.
>>
>> Anyone have some examples of a .jpg processed as a .jpg, and the same
>> shot adjusted in Capture NX and then saved as a .jpg?

>There's a free raw converter here:
>
> http://www.rawtherapee.com/
>
>which supports the D40. It might be worth a look.

Thanks, I'll try it.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

me@mine.net 06-23-2008 05:07 PM

Re: RAW question

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:16:52 -0400, in rec.photo.digital tony cooper
<tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Before I pop for Capture NX, I'd like to be sure that there's
>something to be gained. So many people rave about processing in RAW,
>but I've never seen a before and after that shows something that can't
>be done in PS7.

Capture has a trial period of 60 days, iirc from a previous post. Why
not not only try raw conversion, but also the tool you think you might
pay for first?

Blinky the Shark 06-23-2008 05:45 PM

Re: RAW question

tony cooper wrote:

> I have a Nikon D40 that is capable of shooting RAW as a .NEF file, but
> I don't have Capture NX. I have Adobe Photoshop 7.0, but I don't have
> any interest in upgrading to CS. PS7.0 does everything that I need to
> do with this exception.
>
> Before I pop for Capture NX, I'd like to be sure that there's
> something to be gained. So many people rave about processing in RAW,
> but I've never seen a before and after that shows something that can't
> be done in PS7.

Take a look at The GIMP (graphics editor) and ufraw (raw editor). Both
free. When you select a .nef to edit in the GIMP, ufraw opens with it,
and when you're finished, clicking OK sends it to the GIMP. Google as
needed.

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

tony cooper 06-23-2008 05:48 PM

Re: RAW question

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:07:07 -0400, me@mine.net wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:16:52 -0400, in rec.photo.digital tony cooper
><tony_cooper213@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>>Before I pop for Capture NX, I'd like to be sure that there's
>>something to be gained. So many people rave about processing in RAW,
>>but I've never seen a before and after that shows something that can't
>>be done in PS7.

>Capture has a trial period of 60 days, iirc from a previous post. Why
>not not only try raw conversion, but also the tool you think you might
>pay for first?

I do understand that both Capture and CS3 have trial demos available.

Still, I'd like to see some comparative results linked.
--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

ray 06-23-2008 06:25 PM

Re: RAW question

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:16:52 -0400, tony cooper wrote:

> I have a Nikon D40 that is capable of shooting RAW as a .NEF file, but I
> don't have Capture NX. I have Adobe Photoshop 7.0, but I don't have any
> interest in upgrading to CS. PS7.0 does everything that I need to do
> with this exception.
>
> Before I pop for Capture NX, I'd like to be sure that there's something
> to be gained. So many people rave about processing in RAW, but I've
> never seen a before and after that shows something that can't be done in
> PS7.
>
> Anyone have some examples of a .jpg processed as a .jpg, and the same
> shot adjusted in Capture NX and then saved as a .jpg?

You simply have more to work with. Suggest you try the free ufraw before
you give up on the concept. With my Kodak P850 I shoot raw 95% of the time
or more. When you don't need it anyway, then there is probably not much to
be gained - but if you don't shoot raw and find out that you can't get
what you want from your jpeg, it's too late. I'd say about half the time
the jpeg that is included in my raw file is sufficient.

Cats 06-23-2008 07:20 PM

Re: RAW question

On Jun 23, 6:57*pm, "Wilson" <w...@dixiedancekings.com> wrote:
> "tony cooper" <tony_cooper...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> >I have a Nikon D40 that is capable of shooting RAW as a .NEF file, but
> > I don't have Capture NX. *I have Adobe Photoshop 7.0, but I don't have
> > any interest in upgrading to CS. *PS7.0 does everything that I need to
> > do with this exception.

> > Before I pop for Capture NX, I'd like to be sure that there's
> > something to be gained. *So many people rave about processing in RAW,
> > but I've never seen a before and after that shows something that can't
> > be done in PS7.

> > Anyone have some examples of a .jpg processed as a .jpg, and the same
> > shot adjusted in Capture NX and then saved as a .jpg?

> > --

> You said in another thread that you have PS Elements 5 but rarely used it..
> I believe it contains Adobe Camera Raw (I know Elements 6 does) which will
> allow you to adjust, save, and convert your RAW image. *The RAW format gives
> you much greater latitude in white balance and exposure *adjustments than
> you would have with a jpg in PS7 and that's one of its advantages. * Camera
> Raw is simple and quick to use. *When you are done in Camera Raw then you
> open the image in PS7 and finish your processing.
>
> I believe you already have everything you need to process RAW images. *No
> need to buy anything else if you've got PS Elements 5.

The only need is to download the latest version of CameraRaw. Seeing
what that can do with an image is the best way of seeing why shooting
RAW is usually a good thing. With my camera (don't ask) there is no
choice as it horribly oversharpens JPGs, and so does the RAW to JPG
utility it comes with. I have also found RAW very useful for water
shots, where it's very easy to burn out the highlight areas.