Velocity Reviews

-   -   Surfers vs. paparazzi (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t621787-surfers-vs-paparazzi.html)

Cynicor 06-23-2008 11:46 AM

Surfers vs. paparazzi

TMZ has footage of a violent confrontation between a group of surfers
(including Matthew McConaughey) and some photographers, after the
paparazzi refused the surfers' order to leave the beach. Footage at the
link below - who do you think is right/wrong here?

http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1620740763

Jufi 06-23-2008 11:53 AM

Re: Surfers vs. paparazzi

As much as I hate the paparazzi, the surfers are wrong. It's a public beach,
and the paparazzi have every right to set up and shoot anyone and everyone
on the beach. As much as I sympathize with the surfers, or anyone who is
stalked by these leeches, provoking a confrontation and physical attacks
aren't the answer.

Maybe a squirt gun filled with skunk **** might be a good alternative.

N 06-23-2008 12:25 PM

Re: Surfers vs. paparazzi

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2008@aol.com> wrote in message
news:uv6dneODH7aoCcLVnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@supernews.co m...

> Cool! The surfers should have taken that guy's monopod and beat the
> living
> **** out him and the rest of these scumbags for encroaching on their
> privacy. Had these "photographers" approached the surfers first and
> exchanged some small talk and asked the surfers what they think about
> being
> photographed I'll bet they would have gotten a nice friendly go ahead.
> Peeping Toms, voyeurs, and these scumbag paparazzi should be beaten like a
> baby seal.

I hope you negotiated photographic rights with those poor little birdies
you've been photographing.

Cynicor 06-23-2008 12:33 PM

Re: Surfers vs. paparazzi

Rita Berkowitz wrote:
> Cynicor wrote:
>
>> TMZ has footage of a violent confrontation between a group of surfers
>> (including Matthew McConaughey) and some photographers, after the
>> paparazzi refused the surfers' order to leave the beach. Footage at
>> the link below - who do you think is right/wrong here?
>>
>> http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1620740763

> Cool! The surfers should have taken that guy's monopod and beat the living
> **** out him and the rest of these scumbags for encroaching on their
> privacy. Had these "photographers" approached the surfers first and
> exchanged some small talk and asked the surfers what they think about being
> photographed I'll bet they would have gotten a nice friendly go ahead.
> Peeping Toms, voyeurs, and these scumbag paparazzi should be beaten like a
> baby seal.

Do you have an expectation of privacy in a public place?

Jufí 06-23-2008 04:58 PM

Re: Surfers vs. paparazzi

"Rita Berkowitz" <ritaberk2008@aol.com> wrote in message
news:uv6dneODH7aoCcLVnZ2dnUVZ_g6dnZ2d@supernews.co m...
> Cynicor wrote:
>
>> TMZ has footage of a violent confrontation between a group of surfers
>> (including Matthew McConaughey) and some photographers, after the
>> paparazzi refused the surfers' order to leave the beach. Footage at
>> the link below - who do you think is right/wrong here?
>>
>> http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1620740763

> Cool! The surfers should have taken that guy's monopod and beat the
> living
> **** out him and the rest of these scumbags for encroaching on their
> privacy. Had these "photographers" approached the surfers first and
> exchanged some small talk and asked the surfers what they think about
> being
> photographed I'll bet they would have gotten a nice friendly go ahead.
> Peeping Toms, voyeurs, and these scumbag paparazzi should be beaten like a
> baby seal.

Trollometer Reading=1.43 (out of 10) A weak effort even by the fat ass'
standards.

Asshole.

Dave U. Random 06-23-2008 05:23 PM

Re: Surfers vs. paparazzi

Cynicor wrote:

> Do you have an expectation of privacy in a public place?

Yeah, as a matter of fact you do. All sorts of privacy. Outsiders
can't use listening devices for the purposes of eavesdropping on
your cell phone conversation, and the old mirrors-on-the-shoes
trick to peek up the girls' dresses is actually a criminal act of
voyeurism.

Anything else you need cleared up today?

How about this.... as to the question of whose wrong, they both
were. The Scumarazzi for their incessant invasion of privacy, and
the surfers for allowing them to continue drawing breath.

Blinky the Shark 06-23-2008 05:46 PM

Re: Surfers vs. paparazzi

Cynicor wrote:

> TMZ has footage of a violent confrontation between a group of surfers
> (including Matthew McConaughey) and some photographers, after the
> paparazzi refused the surfers' order to leave the beach. Footage at the
> link below - who do you think is right/wrong here?
>
> http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1620740763

Public beach?

--
Blinky
Is your ISP dropping Usenet?

Tzortzakakis Dimitrios 06-23-2008 05:47 PM

Re: Surfers vs. paparazzi

? "Cynicor" <truuupin@opt.i.m.um.net> ?????? ??? ??????
> TMZ has footage of a violent confrontation between a group of surfers
> (including Matthew McConaughey) and some photographers, after the
> paparazzi refused the surfers' order to leave the beach. Footage at the
> link below - who do you think is right/wrong here?
>
> http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1620740763

Not a very honest way of making a living... I never photograph even my own
sister without an express permission.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
major in electrical engineering

tony cooper 06-23-2008 06:21 PM

Re: Surfers vs. paparazzi

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 19:23:14 +0200 (CEST), Dave U. Random
<anonymous@anonymitaet-im-inter.net> wrote:

>Cynicor wrote:
>
>> Do you have an expectation of privacy in a public place?

>Yeah, as a matter of fact you do. All sorts of privacy. Outsiders
>can't use listening devices for the purposes of eavesdropping on
>your cell phone conversation, and the old mirrors-on-the-shoes
>trick to peek up the girls' dresses is actually a criminal act of
>voyeurism.
>
>Anything else you need cleared up today?
>
>How about this.... as to the question of whose wrong, they both
>were. The Scumarazzi for their incessant invasion of privacy, and
>the surfers for allowing them to continue drawing breath.

While I don't know the specific circumstances, I would doubt if the
photographers were there to photograph surfers. They were there to
photograph one surfer: Matthew McConaughey.

Matthew McConaughey is a celebrity that gets paid quite a bit of money
for being a celebrity. Being stalked by the paparazzi is the price of
being a celebrity. While McConaughey and other celebrities may abhor
having photographers in their face all the time, they feed on the
publicity resulting from the photographers.

If the surfers who aren't celebrities want to be left alone, all they
have to do is move away from McConaughey. No photographer is going to
follow them.

McConaughey has a right to earn a good living, and the photographers
have a right to earn a living helping him earn a good living. There
are many celebrities who take pains to let the paparazzi know where
they'll be so they can be "victims" of the paparazzi. Nothing is
sadder than a fading celebrity who no one bothers to stalk.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

tony cooper 06-23-2008 07:34 PM

Re: Surfers vs. paparazzi

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 20:47:07 +0300, "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios"
<noone@nospam.void> wrote:

>? "Cynicor" <truuupin@opt.i.m.um.net> ?????? ??? ??????
>> TMZ has footage of a violent confrontation between a group of surfers
>> (including Matthew McConaughey) and some photographers, after the
>> paparazzi refused the surfers' order to leave the beach. Footage at the
>> link below - who do you think is right/wrong here?
>>
>> http://www.tmz.com/tmz_main_video?titleid=1620740763

>Not a very honest way of making a living... I never photograph even my own
>sister without an express permission.

What's dishonest about it? They take pictures, they sell their
pictures, and the published pictures add to the celebrity status of
the person photographed. It's a classic symbiotic relationship where
each party gains from the other. That part of the general public who
likes to see pictures of celebrities gains.

I couldn't pick out Matthew McConaughey in a police line-up, but I
know that he has "fans" who will buy a magazine to see pictures of
him. The magazine wants the sales, they pay the paparazzi, and
everyone comes out ahead. Supply-and-demand.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida