Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Sipgate voicemail (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t621686-re-sipgate-voicemail.html)

Chapie 06-22-2008 06:46 PM

Re: Sipgate voicemail

"Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
news:68.1214153894.20080622@spam-free.org.uk...
> Sipgate's voicemail service is amusing. Menu prompts and message
> details are read out in a mixture of three or four different voices:
> some male, some female. It sounds very weird. :)
> --
> Martin Jay

Its been like that for several years! :)))
I thought it was going to be a temporary thing a few years ago, but NO, its
never changed.

Bloody Daft, when it could easily be put right and would make the system
sound far better and more professional.

A strange state of affairs.......

cybuerke 06-22-2008 06:57 PM

Re: Sipgate voicemail

"Chapie" <no-chance-goaway@spamtrap.net> wrote in message

> "Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
>> Sipgate's voicemail service is amusing. Menu prompts and message
>> details are read out in a mixture of three or four different voices:
>> some male, some female. It sounds very weird. :)
>> --
>> Martin Jay

> Its been like that for several years! :)))
> I thought it was going to be a temporary thing a few years ago, but NO,
> its
> never changed.
>
> Bloody Daft, when it could easily be put right and would make the system
> sound far better and more professional.
>
> A strange state of affairs.......

Not brilliant, is it?
But still better than voip.co.uk's effort - "I'm sorry, the mailbox
configured has not been found." I suspect it's all down to folks just using
these services as a freebie. Tell you what - let's all chip in a few quid
each and see if the providers will stretch to a real phone service.

Betcha neither of those is going to happen!

Gordon Henderson 06-22-2008 09:35 PM

Re: Sipgate voicemail

In article <g3m7b9$1ab4$1@energise.enta.net>,
cybuerke <cybuerke@PLMgmail.com> wrote:

>"Chapie" <no-chance-goaway@spamtrap.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
>>> Sipgate's voicemail service is amusing. Menu prompts and message
>>> details are read out in a mixture of three or four different voices:
>>> some male, some female. It sounds very weird. :)
>>> --
>>> Martin Jay

>> Its been like that for several years! :)))
>> I thought it was going to be a temporary thing a few years ago, but NO,
>> its
>> never changed.
>>
>> Bloody Daft, when it could easily be put right and would make the system
>> sound far better and more professional.
>>
>> A strange state of affairs.......

>Not brilliant, is it?
>But still better than voip.co.uk's effort - "I'm sorry, the mailbox
>configured has not been found." I suspect it's all down to folks just using
>these services as a freebie. Tell you what - let's all chip in a few quid
>each and see if the providers will stretch to a real phone service.
>
>Betcha neither of those is going to happen!

So create your own ...

.... or pay someone to do it for you.

The trouble is, that I don't think it's commercially viable for a small
number of enthusiasts chipping in a few quid each, however getting
a server in London is relatively cheap, plumbing it into a wholesale
VoIP <-> PSTN company is do-able... You just need to find enough people
committed to doing it...

Actually, it probably is do-able for a very small number - it's when you
try to scale things when it becomes "interesting" :)

Gordon

cybuerke 06-23-2008 08:49 AM

Re: Sipgate voicemail

"Gordon Henderson" <gordon+usenet@drogon.net> wrote in message
> In article <g3m7b9$1ab4$1@energise.enta.net>,
> cybuerke <cybuerke@PLMgmail.com> wrote:

>>Not brilliant, is it?
>>But still better than voip.co.uk's effort - "I'm sorry, the mailbox
>>configured has not been found." I suspect it's all down to folks just
>>using
>>these services as a freebie. Tell you what - let's all chip in a few quid
>>each and see if the providers will stretch to a real phone service.
>>
>>Betcha neither of those is going to happen!

> So create your own ...
>
> ... or pay someone to do it for you.

Yeahbut - that wheel's already been invented. voipuser.org.uk run a pretty
creditable enthusiasts' operation existing on 0844 income or donations from
those who only use it for outgoing calls.

> The trouble is, that I don't think it's commercially viable for a small
> number of enthusiasts chipping in a few quid each, however getting
> a server in London is relatively cheap, plumbing it into a wholesale
> VoIP <-> PSTN company is do-able... You just need to find enough people
> committed to doing it...
>
> Actually, it probably is do-able for a very small number - it's when you
> try to scale things when it becomes "interesting" :)
>
> Gordon

With the blurring of the differences between VoIP and PSTN, I wonder if
there is much of a future for the smallish VISP? When TalkTalk (I know, I
know - don't all shout at me - they're much more organised now - read the
latest reports and forums) can deliver a phone line, inclusive UK and
international calls and broadband for around 20 sovs a month, who's going to
need the aggro and expense of separate systems and hardware except for we
nutters?

Gordon Henderson 06-23-2008 09:24 AM

Re: Sipgate voicemail

In article <g3no20$uok$1@energise.enta.net>,
cybuerke <cybuerke@PLMgmail.com> wrote:

>"Gordon Henderson" <gordon+usenet@drogon.net> wrote in message
>> In article <g3m7b9$1ab4$1@energise.enta.net>,
>> cybuerke <cybuerke@PLMgmail.com> wrote:

>>>Not brilliant, is it?
>>>But still better than voip.co.uk's effort - "I'm sorry, the mailbox
>>>configured has not been found." I suspect it's all down to folks just
>>>using
>>>these services as a freebie. Tell you what - let's all chip in a few quid
>>>each and see if the providers will stretch to a real phone service.
>>>
>>>Betcha neither of those is going to happen!

>> So create your own ...
>>
>> ... or pay someone to do it for you.

>Yeahbut - that wheel's already been invented. voipuser.org.uk run a pretty
>creditable enthusiasts' operation existing on 0844 income or donations from
>those who only use it for outgoing calls.
>
>> The trouble is, that I don't think it's commercially viable for a small
>> number of enthusiasts chipping in a few quid each, however getting
>> a server in London is relatively cheap, plumbing it into a wholesale
>> VoIP <-> PSTN company is do-able... You just need to find enough people
>> committed to doing it...
>>
>> Actually, it probably is do-able for a very small number - it's when you
>> try to scale things when it becomes "interesting" :)
>>
>> Gordon

>With the blurring of the differences between VoIP and PSTN, I wonder if
>there is much of a future for the smallish VISP? When TalkTalk (I know, I
>know - don't all shout at me - they're much more organised now - read the
>latest reports and forums) can deliver a phone line, inclusive UK and
>international calls and broadband for around 20 sovs a month, who's going to
>need the aggro and expense of separate systems and hardware except for we
>nutters?

Who knows! For me it's all part of the whole thing I offer my clients -
mostly SME types who want flexability, but there's a world of difference
between supporting a smaller number of businesses who you can get to know
almost on a personal level vs. 100's or 1000's of ordinary punters...
I don't think the PSTN is going to go away for a long time yet though,
especially with the likes of BT, etc. offering 12-month rolling
contracts.. I just noticed a 24-month mobile phone contract yesterday
too - the big companies want lock-in and seem afraid of change...

Gordon

Ivor Jones 06-23-2008 02:59 PM

Re: Sipgate voicemail

In news:6c7kvrF3fg1pnU1@mid.individual.net,
Chapie <no-chance-goaway@spamtrap.net> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: "Martin Jay" <martin@spam-free.org.uk> wrote in message
: news:68.1214153894.20080622@spam-free.org.uk...
: > Sipgate's voicemail service is amusing. Menu prompts and message
: > details are read out in a mixture of three or four different voices:
: > some male, some female. It sounds very weird. :)
: > --
: > Martin Jay
:
: Its been like that for several years! :)))
: I thought it was going to be a temporary thing a few years ago, but
: NO, its never changed.
:
: Bloody Daft, when it could easily be put right and would make the
: system sound far better and more professional.
:
: A strange state of affairs.......

The problem arose when it was found that the standard Asterisk voice
prompts (upon which the system is based) couldn't, for some reason, be
used. I think it was something to do with copyright/licensing, but I've
never been able to find out.

They got someone locally to record them, but the quality is, as you say,
rather poor and it really should have been changed by now.

I rarely use it actually, I have the messages forwarded as email
attachments so I don't often need to call it.

Ivor

alexd 06-23-2008 08:02 PM

Re: Sipgate voicemail

On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:59:31 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:

> The problem arose when it was found that the standard Asterisk voice
> prompts (upon which the system is based) couldn't, for some reason, be
> used. I think it was something to do with copyright/licensing, but I've
> never been able to find out.

Seems unlikely. The sounds are BSD licensed:

"These sounds are BSD-licensed, meaning that they can be used for any
purpose, including incorporation into commercial packages."

And to think Sipgate have recorded their own version of "We're off
gambling and getting drunk" for no reason!

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm@ale.cx)
20:54:57 up 5 days, 20:36, 2 users, load average: 1.18, 1.13, 1.09

Graham. 06-23-2008 10:52 PM

Re: Sipgate voicemail

"alexd" <troffasky@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:48600154$0$78077$bed64819@news.gradwell.net.. .
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:59:31 +0100, Ivor Jones wrote:
>
>> The problem arose when it was found that the standard Asterisk voice
>> prompts (upon which the system is based) couldn't, for some reason, be
>> used. I think it was something to do with copyright/licensing, but I've
>> never been able to find out.

> Seems unlikely. The sounds are BSD licensed:
>
> "These sounds are BSD-licensed, meaning that they can be used for any
> purpose, including incorporation into commercial packages."

She is called Allison Smith.

Does anyone know who "Jane" is in my TomTom?
I've been driving her around for 3 years now, it's about
time we were formally introduced ;-)

--
Graham

%Profound_observation%