Velocity Reviews

-   -   "External component has thrown an exception" - ASP.NET Bug? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t621550-external-component-has-thrown-an-exception-asp-net-bug.html)

SH 06-21-2008 06:41 PM

"External component has thrown an exception" - ASP.NET Bug?

There seems to be an issue with .NET 3.5/Visual Studio 2008 (Team System).

After convincing my company to create our latest project in .NET 3.5, this
is kind of reflecting bad on me.

Problem:

Solution will NOT compile. Error is simply: "External component has thrown
an exception". NO other details.

What started the problem?:

I created a content page and put it in a subdirectory. If I remove this
content page the problem dissapears.

Workaround:

If I right click on the content page -> click build page -> then compile the
solution then this works fine. Obviously this is not desirable, especially
with automated deployments.

Win2k3, MS VS.NET 2008 TFS, .NET 3.5, Simple ASP.NET Web Application.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Eliyahu Goldin 06-22-2008 09:16 AM

Re: "External component has thrown an exception" - ASP.NET Bug?

If you google for "External component has thrown an exception" (don't skip
the quotes) you will find quite a number of discussions on this problem. You
need either clean up the project by deleting all temporary fields, removing
the last installed component etc. or check carefully your web.config,
project references, control registration directives to see if everything is
there and is consistent. Do both: cleanup and checkup.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer

SH 06-22-2008 05:50 PM

Re: "External component has thrown an exception" - ASP.NET Bug?

Thanks for the reply. I've done many a search for "external comp....".

* What do you mean by deleting temporary fields? Do you mean files?

The one thing that I thought it might have been is the control references,
since I did create a user control, but then delete it after. There is no
trace of this user control in the master page of content pages. Where else
could metadata around this be lurking?

SH 06-22-2008 06:14 PM

Re: "External component has thrown an exception" - ASP.NET Bug?

I think I've fixed it.

I created a new ASCX (just add new item from VS 2008 TFS). The control was
empty, completely default ASCX. anyway, I deleted it and the problem went
away. I definately put this down to a bug in the VS 2008 IDE more than
anything else.

I hope it doesn't come back! Thanks for your help

SH.

Eliyahu Goldin 06-23-2008 08:05 AM

Re: "External component has thrown an exception" - ASP.NET Bug?

Good.

Yes, I meant temporary files, sorry.

VS 2008 is a vary large product. It is easy to understand that optimizing
performance while providing tremendously rich functionality may cause
integrity issues. Cleaning up is the major troubleshooting technique here.