Velocity Reviews

-   -   where is unique_ptr? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t621421-where-is-unique_ptr.html)

Aaron Graham 06-20-2008 09:03 PM

where is unique_ptr?

I realize this question more appropriately belongs on gnu.gcc, but I
always have trouble getting answers there.

The current C++0x implementation is very incomplete in gcc 4.3.0, I
know, but I find it strange that unique_ptr is missing, especially
since auto_ptr is already spewing warnings about being deprecated. As
far as I can tell, all features required for the correct
implementation of unique_ptr are available.

I could write my own (and maybe that would answer my question), but
I'm lazy, or busy, or something.

Aaron

Ed Smith-Rowland 06-22-2008 03:26 PM

Re: where is unique_ptr?

On Jun 20, 5:03 pm, Aaron Graham <atgra...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I realize this question more appropriately belongs on gnu.gcc, but I
> always have trouble getting answers there.
>
> The current C++0x implementation is very incomplete in gcc 4.3.0, I
> know, but I find it strange that unique_ptr is missing, especially
> since auto_ptr is already spewing warnings about being deprecated. As
> far as I can tell, all features required for the correct
> implementation of unique_ptr are available.
>
> I could write my own (and maybe that would answer my question), but
> I'm lazy, or busy, or something.
>
> Aaron

It looks like unique_ptr is in mainline - i.e. gcc-4.4 which you would
get by bootstrapping gcc from a snapshot or from a checkout of head.
See gcc.gnu.org for details.

Otherwise, I think you might be able to grab code from bits/
unique_ptr.h if your code is GPL.

I don't think unique_ptr would be backported to gcc-4.3.* because it
is an enhancement. You might ask on libstdc++@gcc.gnu.org to see what
the rules/plans are.

Ed