Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   ASP .Net (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f29-asp-net.html)
-   -   asp to asp.net (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t621395-asp-to-asp-net.html)

John 06-20-2008 06:46 PM

asp to asp.net
 
Hi

Is there a utility around to help migrate a site from asp to asp.net?

Thanks

Regards



darrel 06-20-2008 07:38 PM

Re: asp to asp.net
 
> Is there a utility around to help migrate a site from asp to asp.net?

Not really. They are very very different.

-Darrel



Juan T. Llibre 06-20-2008 07:55 PM

Re: asp to asp.net
 
There's the asp-to-aspnet migration assistant :

http://www.asp.net/downloads/archive...asp-to-aspnet/

More info and a user guide for the migration assistant are here :
http://www.asp.net/downloads/archive...t/overview.htm

There's a forum dedicated to migration from asp to asp.net,
where you can talk to other programmers who are migrating asp apps to asp.net :

http://forums.asp.net/29.aspx

Then, there's this article with some pointers :
http://www.dotnetguru.org/articles/u...SP2ASPNET.html




Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
======================================
"darrel" <notreal@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:u7dE50w0IHA.4336@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Is there a utility around to help migrate a site from asp to asp.net?


> Not really. They are very very different.


> -Darrel




Nathan Sokalski 06-20-2008 08:14 PM

Re: asp to asp.net
 
I doubt it. Because Classic ASP used a sort of "fill-in-the-blank"
technique, while ASP.NET is entirely object-oriented, the only way that any
utility really could convert them would be to take the static HTML, CSS, and
JavaScript and place it in the *.aspx file, and then replace all the dynamic
parts of the Classic ASP with a Literal control, and then add some code in
the Load event that does what the code in the Classic ASP did. But even if
there was a utility that did this, it would be ugly and inefficient code. If
you want to convert a Classic ASP site to an ASP.NET site, I would suggest
pretty much starting from scratch. Since there are many controls in ASP.NET
that simplify or combine some of the steps that are done individually in
Classic ASP, as well as generate much of the HTML, I would also suggest
trying to avoid looking at the source code from your Classic ASP as much as
possible. And don't forget that in some cases (not all, it depends on the
exact scenario and design) it can be a good idea to use server controls
instead of HTML controls just because it simplifies your code in some cases.
Well, I guess I've said pretty much all the basics, so good luck!
--
Nathan Sokalski
njsokalski@hotmail.com
http://www.nathansokalski.com/

"John" <info@nospam.infovis.co.uk> wrote in message
news:ucSM4Xw0IHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi
>
> Is there a utility around to help migrate a site from asp to asp.net?
>
> Thanks
>
> Regards
>




Juan T. Llibre 06-20-2008 08:49 PM

Re: asp to asp.net
 
re:
!> Blimey! Is that still around?

Archived...but still around. <g>

re:
!> I tried that a couple of times back in 2002
!> but abandoned it because it was so useless...

Same here, but at least, it gives you all the "Todo" blocks. <chuckle>

The other 2 links I posted have interesting migration pointers,
although, as you say, the migration assistant doesn't do much
except mark the code it doesn't change with "Todo" blocks.




Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en espaņol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
======================================
"Mark Rae [MVP]" <mark@markNOSPAMrae.net> wrote in message news:OwA2Uax0IHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> "Juan T. Llibre" <nomailreplies@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:uLA2I%23w0IHA.4912@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>
>> There's the asp-to-aspnet migration assistant :
>> http://www.asp.net/downloads/archive...asp-to-aspnet/

>
> Blimey! Is that still around?
>
> I tried that a couple of times back in 2002 but abandoned it because it was so useless...
>
>
> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net




David Wier 06-20-2008 08:56 PM

Re: asp to asp.net
 
"Todo" blocks?
How did we get on the subject of the Wizard of Oz?

David Wier
http://aspnet101.com
http://iWritePro.com - One click PDF, convert .doc/.rtf/.txt to HTML with no
bloated markup


"Juan T. Llibre" <nomailreplies@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>
> Same here, but at least, it gives you all the "Todo" blocks. <chuckle>





All times are GMT. The time now is 02:43 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.