Velocity Reviews

-   -   No sound on DVD but OK on CD (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t621121-no-sound-on-dvd-but-ok-on-cd.html)

Ragnar 06-19-2008 09:39 AM

No sound on DVD but OK on CD

The title says it. I can play music CDs fine BUT when I play DVDs although
everything runs OK there is no sound.
I have tried Windows Media Player 11 and Real Player. Nothing is muted out
in Volume Control.

Any suggestions?
Compaq N610C laptop running Windows XP Home.

TIA
John

Neil Green 06-19-2008 10:21 AM

Re: No sound on DVD but OK on CD

"Ragnar" <ragnar@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
> The title says it. I can play music CDs fine BUT
> when I play DVDs although everything runs OK there
> is no sound.
> I have tried Windows Media Player 11 and Real
> Player. Nothing is muted out in Volume Control.
>
> Any suggestions?
> Compaq N610C laptop running Windows XP Home.
>
> TIA
> John

You're probably lacking the AC-3 codec.
Try this one:
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

Ragnar 06-19-2008 01:13 PM

Re: No sound on DVD but OK on CD

"Neil Green" <nrgreenNOT@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:485a331e$0$17509$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...

> "Ragnar" <ragnar@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>> The title says it. I can play music CDs fine BUT when I play DVDs
>> although everything runs OK there is no sound.
>> I have tried Windows Media Player 11 and Real Player. Nothing is muted
>> out in Volume Control.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>> Compaq N610C laptop running Windows XP Home.
>>
>> TIA
>> John

> You're probably lacking the AC-3 codec.
> Try this one:
> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm

Thanks Neil, that worked fine. What I can't figure out is why my other
computer runs DVDs perfectly without this codec, when all the software is
exactly the same.

R.

Neil Green 06-19-2008 10:49 PM

Re: No sound on DVD but OK on CD

> "Neil Green" <nrgreenNOT@optusnet.com.au> wrote in
> message
> news:485a331e$0$17509$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.a u...
>>
>> "Ragnar" <ragnar@NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>>> The title says it. I can play music CDs fine BUT
>>> when I play DVDs although everything runs OK there
>>> is no sound.
>>> I have tried Windows Media Player 11 and Real
>>> Player. Nothing is muted out in Volume Control.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>> Compaq N610C laptop running Windows XP Home.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> John

>> You're probably lacking the AC-3 codec.
>> Try this one:
>> http://www.free-codecs.com/download/AC3_Filter.htm
>>

> Thanks Neil, that worked fine. What I can't figure
> out is why my other computer runs DVDs perfectly
> without this codec, when all the software is
> exactly the same.
>
> R.

It's obviously not.