Velocity Reviews

-   -   Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t621092-backup-dual-boot-xp-home-and-xp-pro-64bit.html)

umwhat 06-19-2008 05:43 AM

Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

Can this be done with the XP pro?
I want to backup the whole single 320GB Sata harddrive because I will
probably be accepted for a computer course soon. I have been looking at
backup options and would like to save the work and the computer to somehow
rather than reinstall all manually if reinstalling becomes necessary.

--
....scribble...scribble...scribble...

Jeff Gaines 06-19-2008 08:46 AM

Re: Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

On 19/06/2008 in message
<2509CEF8-2A07-490A-9CCD-0605E684CE71@microsoft.com> umwhat wrote:

> Can this be done with the XP pro?
> I want to backup the whole single 320GB Sata harddrive because I will
>probably be accepted for a computer course soon. I have been looking at
>backup options and would like to save the work and the computer to somehow
>rather than reinstall all manually if reinstalling becomes necessary.

You can take a snapshot of the drive(s) using something like Acronis True
Image from:
http://www.acronis.com/

I do that. I have one image which is the bare, activated OS, a second with
s/w installed and activated and a third which I update every month or so.
It takes less than 10 minutes to reinstate the image.

I don't keep any data on my 'C' drive so the image is just the OS for me.
If you keep data on the OS drive then you can get Acronis to regularly
update the image but I don't use it like that.

--
Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.

umwhat 06-19-2008 12:30 PM

Re: Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

If I dual boot XP Home and XP 64Bit Pro will I be able to backup the XP
Home installation from the XP 64Bit Professional partition?

Michael 06-19-2008 12:46 PM

umwhat wrote:
> If I dual boot XP Home and XP 64Bit Pro will I be able to backup the XP
> Home installation from the XP 64Bit Professional partition?

If you have a back-up utility that runs on 64-bit Windows, you can do that.

Colin Barnhorst 06-19-2008 01:43 PM

Re: Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

A solution like Acronis True Image lets you image whatever combination of
volumes you want. Acronis provides a trial period so download it and try
it.

umwhat 06-19-2008 01:49 PM

Re: Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

Thankyou Geoff, and Michael.

I have the option to install another harddrive for 64Bit Pro.
The best option for backing up seems to be using the Pro Backup Utility
from XP 64Bit Pro from its own harddrive, but I could use the Nero BackItup
v1.2.0.65 but that seems too old version to be considering.
I also have Farstones Virtual Drive Professional which can write images
and I am sure it could write images of anything I want it to.
Is the XP Pro still the better backup option?. I can save any backup images
to another networked computer.

umwhat 06-19-2008 02:01 PM

Re: Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

...it is nice to get replies so quickly..

I have the Seagate Acronis formatting utility that I downloaded from
Seagate and using it to zero...a harddrive which takes 9 hours for a 2 pass
"thorough clean"...thrills me to the ends of the earth...buying something
like that is something I prefer to leave in my wildest dreams...basically
because I am an Invalid Benficiary receiving my core income from the
government.

What I am trying to achieve is when I am doing my New Zealand Certificate
in Computing Level 2(and maybe also in, Business) course for which I will use
Microsoft Office 2003 Professional in Windows XP Home Edition (SP3), I want
to backup so my chances of losing any work are reduced. And now thinking
about that, I would like to use the incremental backup as well.

umwhat 06-19-2008 02:25 PM

Re: Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

I just realized I should go into the Office community and ask about the
backing up options for Office 2003. Thankyou.

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-19-2008 04:58 PM

Re: Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

Download the trial of Acronis True Image and try it out. The trial is fully
functional and free, just time limited. I personally use it and recommend
it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

umwhat 06-21-2008 09:12 AM

Re: Backup/Dual Boot XP Home & XP Pro 64Bit

I would like to try Acronis Charlie but it is only a Trial and I want
something for backups after this computing course as well so something
trusted like Acronis is what I would like. But buying it is not an option at
the moment...I can wait.
Maybe there is something basic I can do to backup any work I do.
I could install 64Bit Professional on a second harddrive hoping I can
backup Office 2003 which will be in XP Home.
I do not have a reason other than backup, for loading XP 64Bit Edition.
I may try the incremental backup in 64Bit Professional to backup the work
I do and I can experiment with 3 or 4 free versions of various backup
applications.
I subscribed to giveawayoftheday website, thats its name, and downloaded a
free backup that was "hailed" worthy of use by members of a local computer
community form members which I frequent. Quite a few people there seemed to
like it...Macrium Reflect.

When th etime comes I may buy Acronis, going by its reputation.