Velocity Reviews

-   -   light weight travel tripod for sub compact camera? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t621027-light-weight-travel-tripod-for-sub-compact-camera.html)

peter 06-18-2008 07:59 PM

light weight travel tripod for sub compact camera?

I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
(pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000 tripod
weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.

Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in a
dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
least 5 ft tall.

John 06-18-2008 11:33 PM

Re: light weight travel tripod for sub compact camera?

simon steel wrote:
> Velbon CX-mini.
> http://www.jessops.com/Store/s25338/...d/details.aspx
> I took one of these to peru... ideal for lightweight occasional use.
> Small enough and light enought that you'll actually carry it.. rather than
> leaving it back in the hotel..
>
> SS

Since when did 64cm equate to a height of 5ft?

John.

Paul Bartram 06-19-2008 06:18 AM

Re: light weight travel tripod for sub compact camera?

"peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote

> I'm traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
> (pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000
> tripod weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.

> Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in
> a dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be
> at least 5 ft tall.

Have a look on eBay. If your version is anything like the Aussie one, there
will be at least a couple of sellers offering (repeatedly) lightweight
Chinese tripods which, although junk, are adequate for a trip away, and
extend to over my head height (170 cm). And if one of the legs falls off
after a week or two, you've only lost $10-15 including postage.

I use mine with both a Coolpix 995 and a D8 video camera (although it really
is too flimsy for something that heavy.)

Paul

tony cooper 06-19-2008 01:27 PM

Re: light weight travel tripod for sub compact camera?

On Thu, 19 Jun 2008 09:25:15 +0100, bugbear
<bugbear@trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

>peter wrote:
>> I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
>> (pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000 tripod
>> weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.
>>
>> Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in a
>> dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
>> least 5 ft tall.

>Are you sure? I've got tremendous mileage out of a table top tripod.
>
>http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nik_tripod.jpg
>
>I can *normally* find something to stand it on (I've often
>used chairs in churches).
>
>I've also used the tripod held against a wall for a long-ish exposure
>with no trouble
>
>Mundane examples:
>
>Station: 6 second exposure, of the parapet of the bridge crossing the line
>
>http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ch/station.jpg
>
>Park: 13 second exposure, tripod on top of waste bin
>
>http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2..._tech/park.jpg

Inventiveness has always been useful in photography. When a relative
was visiting from Ireland, and wanted some group pictures that
included everyone, we were at the beach with no one around to take the
picture. The only object around tall enough to place the camera on
was a waste receptacle with a round top.

I took a bag that was part of a folding beach chair set, filled it
with sand from the beach, and draped it over the waste receptacle.
That provided a steady platform for the camera set with the
self-timer.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Chris Malcolm 06-19-2008 11:26 PM

Joseph Meehan <sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
>> (pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000
>> tripod weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.
>>
>> Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in
>> a dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be
>> at least 5 ft tall.

> If you want something five foot tall, no matter what the camera size is,
> you need something sturdy and solid, or you should not bother at all since
> it will not hold it steady.

If you're indoors and the floor is solid and you use a remote shutter
release a light flimsy tripod will hold your camera as steady as
anything else.

--
Chris Malcolm cam@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk DoD #205
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Morton 06-19-2008 11:50 PM

peter wrote:
> I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
> (pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000 tripod
> weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.
>
> Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in a
> dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
> least 5 ft tall.

Hi,

If you are taking pix of stationary things, e.g. a cathedral, try using
the self-timer instead of the shutter release. This prevents the slight
camera movement caused by a finger pressing the shutter release. A
beanbag or sandbag is also helpful.

Morton

Robert Sneddon 06-20-2008 12:29 AM

Re: light weight travel tripod for sub compact camera?

In message <485af0af$0$11619$607ed4bc@cv.net>, Morton <mort@cloud9.net>
writes
>peter wrote:

>> Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure
>>(e.g. in a dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do;
>>it has to be at least 5 ft tall.

I have a screw-clamp Hama camera mount/table tripod like this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Clamp-T.../dp/B00006JAXB

It will clamp onto a convenient fixture (shelf, table edge) in lieu of
a tripod but it will probably not hold a dSLR with a big lens firmly.
Fits in a camera bag.

>If you are taking pix of stationary things, e.g. a cathedral, try using
>the self-timer instead of the shutter release. This prevents the slight
>camera movement caused by a finger pressing the shutter release. A
>beanbag or sandbag is also helpful.

I did this to good effect when shooting a lunar eclipse a couple of
years ago, with the camera at maximum zoom (about 200mm) and long
exposures of over 2 seconds.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

Stewy 06-20-2008 04:47 AM

Re: light weight travel tripod for sub compact camera?

In article <485af0af$0$11619$607ed4bc@cv.net>, Morton <mort@cloud9.net>
wrote:

> peter wrote:
> > I' traveling and am looking for a light weight tripod for a sub compact
> > (pocketable) camera like the canon elph. I already have a slick U6000
> > tripod
> > weighting 2.5 lb. It is overkill to support such a small camera.
> >
> > Is there something under 1.5 lb? I need one to take long exposure (e.g. in
> > dark cathedral) or self photo. Table top tripod won't do; it has to be at
> > least 5 ft tall.
> >

> Hi,
>
> If you are taking pix of stationary things, e.g. a cathedral, try using
> the self-timer instead of the shutter release. This prevents the slight
> camera movement caused by a finger pressing the shutter release. A
> beanbag or sandbag is also helpful.

You can also make your own by filling a couple of long socks with dried
peas or styrofoam pellets

Chris Malcolm 06-20-2008 10:26 AM

Re: light weight travel tripod for sub compact camera?

Joseph Meehan <sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Chris Malcolm" <cam@holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote in message
>> Joseph Meehan <sligoNoSPAMjoe@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> "peter" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

>>> If you want something five foot tall, no matter what the camera size
>>> is,
>>> you need something sturdy and solid, or you should not bother at all
>>> since
>>> it will not hold it steady.

>> If you're indoors and the floor is solid and you use a remote shutter
>> release a light flimsy tripod will hold your camera as steady as
>> anything else.

> He's talking "Pocket Camera" How many have remote release capability?

In that case there's always the timer.