Velocity Reviews

-   -   Cannon v Nikon lens (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t620262-cannon-v-nikon-lens.html)

gary@justservices.com 06-14-2008 10:31 PM

Cannon v Nikon lens

Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……

2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……

The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
question.

TIA,
gARY

N 06-14-2008 11:45 PM

Re: Cannon v Nikon lens

<gary@justservices.com> wrote in message
Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……

2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……

The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
question.

TIA,
gARY

I think you should buy Nikon. You won't have problems with the spelling.

Roy G 06-15-2008 12:23 AM

Re: Cannon v Nikon lens

<gary@justservices.com> wrote in message
Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……

2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……

The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
question.

TIA,
gARY

The reasons are:-

1. Nikon lenses fit onto Nikon Cameras better than they do onto Canon, or
any other make of camera.
2. Canon lenses fit onto Canon Cameras better than they do onto Nikon, or
any other make of camera.

That would strike me as being the most important function which
differentiates these lenses.

Roy G

David J Taylor 06-15-2008 05:37 AM

Re: Cannon v Nikon lens

gary@justservices.com wrote:
> Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-
>
> 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……
>
> 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……
>
> The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
> have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
> question.
>
> TIA,
> gARY

One answer might be:

- Nikon because the kit-lens (18 - 55mm) has higher image quality

- Nikon because they offer an 18 - 200mm image-stabilised carry round lens

- Nikon because they offer a better selection of Macro lenses

- Nikon because they offer more useful tilt-and-shift lenses

but I actually bought Nikon because the camera felt better to handle than
its Canon equivalent.

David

Paul Furman 06-15-2008 06:43 AM

Re: |GG| Cannon v Nikon lens

gary@justservices.com wrote:
> Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-
>
> 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best at……
>
> 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best at……
>
> The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
> have a function better than the other – so what is it, IS the
> question.

Nikon for the selection of old lenses to play with. I know that was off
limits but it's what I enjoy a lot. Affordable 50mm f/1.2, 35mm f/1.4,
135mm f/2, 3rd party 300mm f/2.8 MF that meters perfectly. My new lenses
are excellent too. Canon has more selection of current AF lenses like
f/4 zooms & more options with & without stabilization but for the old
classics you get stop down metering.

--
Paul Furman
www.edgehill.net

Matt Ion 06-15-2008 12:06 PM

Re: Cannon v Nikon lens

Shawn Hirn wrote:
> In article
> <29e75a04-d430-427e-94a5-4babc53959b7@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
> gary@justservices.com wrote:
>
>> Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-
>>
>> 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best atŠŠ
>>
>> 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best atŠŠ
>>
>> The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
>> have a function better than the other * so what is it, IS the
>> question.

> There's no such thing as the best that applies to everyone. If you're
> shopping around for a new camera system, look at the features of the
> actual cameras you're considering and the selection of lenses for the
> type of photography you expect to do most frequently and base your
> decision on your particular needs.
>
> These camera and lens wars are beyond silly. Nikon, Canon, and the other
> major camera makers all make great cameras and lenses. What's far more
> important than your camera gear is your ability to use it effectively
> for your needs. You could spend tens of thousands of dollars on top of
> the line Nikon or Canon gear and still end up with lousy photos if you
> do not bother to learn the basics of photography, lighting, and the use
> of your camera gear.

The only truly useful answer of the lot... and I fully agree.

What I tell friends who are shopping for cameras, is to go to the store
and actually PICK UP and HANDLE and USE the different models you're
considering. Poke through their menus, look at the options and where
you find them... operate ALL the controls and see how they feel... and
in the end, go with the one that's the most comfortable FOR YOU to use.

Because ultimately, a camera that feels clunky and confusing and is too
convoluted FOR YOU to use will end up sitting on a shelf collecting
dust, rather than taking pictures. And at that point, it doesn't matter
which brand has "better" glass, or a "better" sensor, or more
megapixels, or any of the other minute differences that camera snobs
fight about.

Two different friends recently were considering Canon vs. Nikon for
their first DSLRs. I told both to go Canon, because then I could borrow
their lenses :) But then I gave them the above advice.

One ended up with a Nikon D80. The other ended up with a Pentax *ist.
Both are very happy with their cameras and use them extensively. And
when it comes down to it, that's all that really matters.

Steve 06-15-2008 01:31 PM

Re: Cannon v Nikon lens

On Sun, 15 Jun 2008 05:37:22 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<david-taylor@blueyonder.neither-this-bit.nor-this-bit.co.uk> wrote:

[...]
>- Nikon because they offer an 18 - 200mm image-stabilised carry round lens

[...]
>but I actually bought Nikon because the camera felt better to handle than
>its Canon equivalent.

These were two of my deciding factors to go with Nikon. But overall I
think the lens quality of lenses in similar areas of the spectrum of
what canon vs. nikon offer are very ... similar.

But a huge difference in what I see in the resulting pictures of canon
vs. nikon DSLRs in a similar area of the spectrum of what they offer
is that nikon has much better light metering, both with and without
flash. And if you're talking strictly about flash photography, Nikon
has Canon beat hands down. I can't tell you how many improperly
exposed indoor flash pictures I've seen come out of a Canon camera
that just doesn't happen with a Nikon in the same situation. And
Nikon's creative lighting system is great. If your camera can be a
CLS controller, all you need is an SB600 and you can do some really
great stuff without cables all over the place.

But since this is about lenses, I won't mention light control.;)

Steve

gary@justservices.com 06-15-2008 09:19 PM

Re: Cannon v Nikon lens

Thank you all for the response, I will reply to this post only at the
moment because this is still the question and takes it yet one step
further (without actually answering my point) and clearly the winner
for being nearly there, please see below:-

On Jun 15, 12:50*pm, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <29e75a04-d430-427e-94a5-4babc5395...@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,
>
> *g...@justservices.com wrote:
> > Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

> > 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best atŠŠ

> > 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best atŠŠ

> > The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
> > have a function better than the other * so what is it, IS the
> > question.

> There's no such thing as the best that applies to everyone. If you're
> shopping around for a new camera system, look at the features of the
> actual cameras you're considering and the selection of lenses for the
> type of photography you expect to do most frequently and base your
> decision on your particular needs.

So, with regard to the lenses available……

What would my needs be if I chose Canon

Nikon, same question?

This is the total point of my post.

Thanks a lot,
gARY

gary@justservices.com 06-15-2008 09:28 PM

Re: Cannon v Nikon lens

On Jun 15, 10:19*pm, g...@justservices.com wrote:
> Thank you all for the response, I will reply to this post only at the
> moment because this is still the question and takes it yet one step
> further (without actually answering my point) and clearly the winner
> for being nearly there, please see below:-
>
> On Jun 15, 12:50*pm, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > In article
> > <29e75a04-d430-427e-94a5-4babc5395...@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com>,

> > *g...@justservices.com wrote:
> > > Ok, this is the options (and forget range of lenses!) :-

> > > 1/ I decided to buy Cannon because the lenses are best atŠŠ

> > > 2/ I decided to buy Nikon because the lenses are best atŠŠ

> > > The reason is, I just read a post within your group which suggest each
> > > have a function better than the other * so what is it, IS the
> > > question.

> > There's no such thing as the best that applies to everyone. If you're
> > shopping around for a new camera system, look at the features of the
> > actual cameras you're considering and the selection of lenses for the
> > type of photography you expect to do most frequently and base your
> > decision on your particular needs.

> So, with regard to the lenses available……
>
> What would my needs be if I chose Canon
>
> Nikon, same question?
>
> This is the total point of my post.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> gARY- Hide quoted text -

OK, someone is going to pick up on my first post "(and forget range
of lenses!)", the reason was I didn't want anyone saying that 'I
decided to buy Canon' because they have more options.

The 'Particular Needs' is what I would like to hear about.

Regards,
gARY

gary@justservices.com 06-16-2008 12:36 AM

Re: Cannon v Nikon lens

On Jun 16, 1:27*am, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article
> <71c2af59-859a-4485-a71f-d79e5d016...@k37g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
>
> *g...@justservices.com wrote:
> > OK, someone is going to pick up on my first post *"(and forget range
> > of lenses!)", the reason was I didn't want anyone saying that 'I
> > decided to buy Canon' because they have more options.

> > The 'Particular Needs' is what I would like to hear about.

> For me, the "need" behind buying Canon instead of Nikon lenses is very
> simple. Nikon lenses are not compatible with my Canon dSLR, while Canon
> lenses are compatible.

Is this why, you and others 'skip around', cos you don't know ?

Your way out? Put the question back on the punter?

Is this group full a ****? I read this stuff (like your reply) MORE
than once in here, someone must give answers surly???

Just asking,
gARY