Velocity Reviews

-   -   Please recommend a blog program written using python-cgi (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t619817-please-recommend-a-blog-program-written-using-python-cgi.html)

Royt 06-12-2008 08:10 AM

Please recommend a blog program written using python-cgi

Hi, I'm a newbie to Python, but I think it won't be too hard to learn.
A few days ago I registered Google App Engine, it only support Python
2.5. I want to set my blog on it soon. But it's not easy for me to
finish it in a short time since I'm not very familiar with Python, so
I want find some codes available, throught reading the code, I can
learn something from it. I know there are many frameworks for web
development, but I just want the code using traditional CGI method,
it's easy to use and it doesn't require any additional knowledge about
framework. I need a simple example (support basic function of a
weblog, easy to revise) but not a complicated huge monster (I don't
think such a thing now exists).

I find some online course, i.e. http://www.upriss.org.uk/python/PythonCourse.html
& http://www.python.org/doc/essays/ppt/sd99east/index.htm but I
didn't find the code needed, could anyone recommend it to me? thanks.

Diez B. Roggisch 06-12-2008 08:58 AM

Re: Please recommend a blog program written using python-cgi

Royt wrote:

> Hi, I'm a newbie to Python, but I think it won't be too hard to learn.
> A few days ago I registered Google App Engine, it only support Python
> 2.5. I want to set my blog on it soon. But it's not easy for me to
> finish it in a short time since I'm not very familiar with Python, so
> I want find some codes available, throught reading the code, I can
> learn something from it. I know there are many frameworks for web
> development, but I just want the code using traditional CGI method,
> it's easy to use and it doesn't require any additional knowledge about
> framework. I need a simple example (support basic function of a
> weblog, easy to revise) but not a complicated huge monster (I don't
> think such a thing now exists).

I guess you are out of luck. Usually people use frameworks because it *does*
make work easier. AFAIK google engine supports Django. So try & aquaint you
with that - and I bet there are Django-based blogs out there.

Diez

Royt 06-13-2008 05:53 AM

On Jun 12, 4:58*pm, "Diez B. Roggisch" <de...@nospam.web.de> wrote:
> Royt wrote:
> > Hi, I'm a newbie to Python, but I think it won't be too hard to learn.
> > A few days ago I registered Google App Engine, it only support Python
> > 2.5. I want to set my blog on it soon. But it's not easy for me to
> > finish it in a short time since I'm not very familiar with Python, so
> > I want find some codes available, throught reading the code, I can
> > learn something from it. I know there are many frameworks for web
> > development, but I just want the code using traditional CGI method,
> > it's easy to use and it doesn't require any additional knowledge about
> > framework. I need a simple example (support basic function of a
> > weblog, easy to revise) but not a complicated huge monster (I don't
> > think such a thing now exists).

> I guess you are out of luck. Usually people use frameworks because it *does*
> make work easier. AFAIK google engine supports Django. So try & aquaint you
> with that - and I bet there are Django-based blogs out there.
>
> Diez

Oh, I'm out of luck, maybe it means few code of python-cgi blog
exists. So I'd like to find a django blog, sf.net should at least have
a piece of code, I guess. Of course, if someone could tell which
project is sipmle but pragmatic, that's better.