Velocity Reviews

-   -   Flashing the Canon Powershot A720 IS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t619370-flashing-the-canon-powershot-a720-is.html)

Dudley Hanks 06-09-2008 10:48 PM

Flashing the Canon Powershot A720 IS

For some time, I've been trying to get my old Speedlite 540 to work with my
A720, but I've had problems with the auto modes.

The flash, when triggered by an optical slave, would work fairly well when
the power output was at or below about 60%, but would produce dark pics as
the power level neared full.

I tried a number of different tactics to get the flash to work properly with
higher outputs, but nothing worked. Then, I realized it's because of the
little pre-flash that the A720 fires as an aid to determining proper
exposure. At lower levels, the 540 produces two, quick flashes, the first
one helping the A720 to determine proper exposure, and the second to
actually eluminate the exposure. However, on higher output levels, the
flash can't recharge quicly enough to produce a second flash.

While I wish I could use the flash at full power, I guess I'll just have to
be happy using the 540 and my HF DC-1 in conjunction with each other when I
need greater output.

Now, if I could just find a way to get my HF DC-1 to work properly when the
A720 is in manual mode.

Any suggestions?

Take Care,
Dudley

Vance 06-11-2008 03:42 AM

Re: Flashing the Canon Powershot A720 IS

On Jun 9, 3:48 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <photos.digi...@dudley-hanks.com>
wrote:
> For some time, I've been trying to get my old Speedlite 540 to work with my
> A720, but I've had problems with the auto modes.
>
> The flash, when triggered by an optical slave, would work fairly well when
> the power output was at or below about 60%, but would produce dark pics as
> the power level neared full.
>
> I tried a number of different tactics to get the flash to work properly with
> higher outputs, but nothing worked. Then, I realized it's because of the
> little pre-flash that the A720 fires as an aid to determining proper
> exposure. At lower levels, the 540 produces two, quick flashes, the first
> one helping the A720 to determine proper exposure, and the second to
> actually eluminate the exposure. However, on higher output levels, the
> flash can't recharge quicly enough to produce a second flash.
>
> While I wish I could use the flash at full power, I guess I'll just have to
> be happy using the 540 and my HF DC-1 in conjunction with each other when I
> need greater output.
>
> Now, if I could just find a way to get my HF DC-1 to work properly when the
> A720 is in manual mode.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Dudley,

There are slaves available on ebay that will ignore the first flash
and only trigger on the second one. An example would be the Wein
Digital Peanut slave with a range of about 100'. It costs around
$40.00 USD from an source like BHPhoto. It uses a PC connector, but
you can get a hotshoe adapter with a PC connector to go on the 540.

Hope that helps.

Vance

Dudley Hanks 06-13-2008 11:11 PM

"Vance" <Vance.Lear@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jun 9, 3:48 pm, "Dudley Hanks" <photos.digi...@dudley-hanks.com>
> wrote:
>> For some time, I've been trying to get my old Speedlite 540 to work with
>> my
>> A720, but I've had problems with the auto modes.
>>
>> The flash, when triggered by an optical slave, would work fairly well
>> when
>> the power output was at or below about 60%, but would produce dark pics
>> as
>> the power level neared full.
>>
>> I tried a number of different tactics to get the flash to work properly
>> with
>> higher outputs, but nothing worked. Then, I realized it's because of the
>> little pre-flash that the A720 fires as an aid to determining proper
>> exposure. At lower levels, the 540 produces two, quick flashes, the
>> first
>> one helping the A720 to determine proper exposure, and the second to
>> actually eluminate the exposure. However, on higher output levels, the
>> flash can't recharge quicly enough to produce a second flash.
>>
>> While I wish I could use the flash at full power, I guess I'll just have
>> be happy using the 540 and my HF DC-1 in conjunction with each other
>> when I
>> need greater output.
>>
>> Now, if I could just find a way to get my HF DC-1 to work properly when
>> the
>> A720 is in manual mode.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley

> Dudley,
>
> There are slaves available on ebay that will ignore the first flash
> and only trigger on the second one. An example would be the Wein
> Digital Peanut slave with a range of about 100'. It costs around
> $40.00 USD from an source like BHPhoto. It uses a PC connector, but
> you can get a hotshoe adapter with a PC connector to go on the 540.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Vance

Thanks, Vance, that does. I've got a couple of slaves, but they are
triggered by the first flash as well. I'll check for the more modern
version and pick one up.

That's one of those things I probably should have thought to check at the
photo store, but it just never occured to me.

Once again, thanks for the info.

BTW, I've just finished writing part of Dima's tribute, and I hope to be
posting the page soon, along with the photo you re-worked. But, I probably
won't get it done till after holidays.

Take Care,
Dudley