Velocity Reviews

-   -   Product Key for 64-bit vista (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t618787-product-key-for-64-bit-vista.html)

swmmrpro 06-06-2008 03:44 AM

Product Key for 64-bit vista

I friend of mine has the disks for 64-bit vista, and i want to use
them...
I am willing to pay fro the cd key, but i am not sure where i can get
one.

I don't really feel like waiting for it to get sent to me.

Please help

--
swmmrpro
swmmrpro's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=51090

http://forums.techarena.in

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-06-2008 04:49 AM

Re: Product Key for 64-bit vista

If you buy a _retail_ copy of Vista, then the PID is the same for 64-bit and
32-bit, so even if it's a version that's only got a 32-bit DVD in it, it's
still a valid key. However, that being said, you need to ensure that the DVD
for 64-bit is the _same type_ as your Retail copy. That is, retail, upgrade
or Full, and note OEM or VL or Demo or some other form of Vista that won't
use the same product keys.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Colin Barnhorst 06-06-2008 05:25 AM

Re: Product Key for 64-bit vista

There is no Vista upgrade media, Charlie. All retail 64bit dvds are
identical and all retail 32bit dvds are identical. The product key is what
determines whether it is upgrade or standard.

Mark H 06-06-2008 11:34 AM

Re: Product Key for 64-bit vista

I just bought a laptop, but don't like how the installation OS is retained
as a separate partition. (No DVD provided.) Failure of the drive means a
loss of all. It is OEM and contains lots of garbage programs, trialware,
etc. I'd like to wipe the drive and reinstall Vista using an installation
DVD I have, but using the OEM product key that came with the laptop.

Is it going to work?

Charlie Russel-MVP 06-06-2008 01:59 PM

Re: Product Key for 64-bit vista

no.

Charlie Russel-MVP 06-06-2008 01:59 PM

Re: Product Key for 64-bit vista

Right. Thanks for the reminder.

Charlie.

Mark H 06-06-2008 03:51 PM

Re: Product Key for 64-bit vista

Ah, what the heck... tried it anyway...
If it didn't work, I'd go by yet another retail version. But, why pay for
another if the one I bought already will work. It is being installed on the
machine it was licensed for in the first place.

I did a clean install of Vista from retail DVD and used the HP OEM product
key.

I couldn't activate online. (It fails and then gives you a box to click on
to do it by phone.)
This gave the number for the automated system and displayed a really long
sequence of #s which you input to the automated system.

The automated system tells you it can't validate and connects you to a
represenative.

The represenative asks you for the 1st six digits on the screen. I told him
what I'd done (used a retail DVD to do a clean re-install and using the OEM
product key). He asked me for the brand and model of the notebook which I
gave him, and after a short pause where I learned he was in India, he gave
me the 48-digit sequence of numbers to enter on the computer and click NEXT,
and Vista then activated as an HP computer.

No more bloatware. And, the license is tied to the original hardware it was
assigned by the manufacturer.
Now, we'll see if it still works in a month.

Colin Barnhorst 06-06-2008 05:48 PM

Re: Product Key for 64-bit vista

Double check your manual. I believe that there is a utility there that
generates a recovery dvd for you. In addition to that I paid the 20$ for
the recovery media kit and most likely you can still order that after the
fact as well.

As Charlie points out, OEM product keys only work with the preinstalled copy
of Vista. They don't even work on different versions of the same software,
i.e. x86 vs x64.

Mark 06-06-2008 05:58 PM

Re: Product Key for 64-bit vista

The recovery disks contain all the same bloatware I was trying to get rid
of.
Anyway, it worked just fine.

Charlie Russel - MVP 06-06-2008 06:34 PM

Re: Product Key for 64-bit vista

Interesting. That's a lot more flexible than they have to be, as I read the
EULA.

Also, btw, on at least some models from HP (business class rather than
consumer class, generally) you can now order them with clean installs.