Velocity Reviews

-   -   req adv: grid vs dish antennas (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t618573-req-adv-grid-vs-dish-antennas.html)

tg 06-04-2008 09:19 PM

req adv: grid vs dish antennas

I want to get a high gain directional wlan antenna and I was thinking about a Cisco
AIR-ANT3338 solid dish - they're pricey but I expect excellence from Cisco. I've also
seen these grid antennas about which are a fraction of the price and yet advertise the
same gain levels. Is there an advantage to getting the Cisco or am I just paying for the
name? Thanks for any advice.

Jack \(MVP-Networking\). 06-05-2008 08:18 PM

Re: req adv: grid vs dish antennas

Hi
It all depends on the environment and your expectation of the outcome.
Under normal situation the brand of the Antennae make is Not a big issue.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

tg 06-05-2008 09:03 PM

"Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> It all depends on the environment and your expectation of the outcome.
> Under normal situation the brand of the Antennae make is Not a big issue.
> Jack (MVP-Networking).

so instead of a 300 cisco dish I may get exactly the same performance form a 50 grid
dish....(?)

Lem 06-05-2008 09:45 PM

tg wrote:
> "Jack (MVP-Networking)." <jack@discussiongroup.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>> It all depends on the environment and your expectation of the outcome.
>> Under normal situation the brand of the Antennae make is Not a big issue.
>> Jack (MVP-Networking).

> so instead of a 300 cisco dish I may get exactly the same performance form a 50 grid
> dish....(?)

It depends on what you want to do with it. See, for example, this
thread (and the ones linked from it):
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.i...058944ea0f6c55

You'll probably get more info from alt.internet.wireless than from this
XP-oriented newsgroup.

--
Lem -- MS-MVP

tg 06-06-2008 10:26 AM

"Lem" <lemp40@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O4CA3V1xIHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> tg wrote:

<snip> You'll probably get more info from alt.internet.wireless than from this
> XP-oriented newsgroup.

ok thanks Lem I'll try alt.internet.wireless