Velocity Reviews

-   -   Which API to use? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t618103-which-api-to-use.html)

pzimmermann@gmail.com 06-02-2008 06:35 PM

Which API to use?

Hello folks. Beginner here.

In a nutshell I am looking for a reporting/corrections tool in which
to interface with an existing app written in c++. My initial thought
was using PHP, but based on the following criteria, what other options
might one suggest: security, licensing, installation, maintainability,
UI, read and write to DB (Access most likely)?

The idea is that our existing app is going to dump a bunch of data to
a DB. The user will then have the option to view the error reports
and make corrections (chtml view class). My idea was to present this
data using PHP/CSS.

Any suggestions, reads would be greatly appreciated.

dgcoffman@gmail.com 06-02-2008 07:27 PM

Re: Which API to use?

On Jun 2, 11:35 am, pzimmerm...@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello folks. Beginner here.
>
> In a nutshell I am looking for a reporting/corrections tool in which
> to interface with an existing app written in c++. My initial thought
> was using PHP, but based on the following criteria, what other options
> might one suggest: security, licensing, installation, maintainability,
> UI, read and write to DB (Access most likely)?
>
> The idea is that our existing app is going to dump a bunch of data to
> a DB. The user will then have the option to view the error reports
> and make corrections (chtml view class). My idea was to present this
> data using PHP/CSS.
>
> Any suggestions, reads would be greatly appreciated.

If you're going to write a database-driven webapp (which is sounds
like you are), a C#/ASPX project is probably one of the easiest
solutions to create and maintain, given the massive amount of
automatic code generation Visual Studio will do for you.

Presenting information from a database is as simple as throwing a
gridview on a page and .NET built-ins make database access and UI
building almost trivial.

The restriction, of course, is that you'll need a server capable of
serving aspx (IIS, probably).

pzimmermann@gmail.com 06-02-2008 08:46 PM

Re: Which API to use?

On Jun 2, 12:27 pm, dgcoff...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Jun 2, 11:35 am, pzimmerm...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hello folks. Beginner here.

> > In a nutshell I am looking for a reporting/corrections tool in which
> > to interface with an existing app written in c++. My initial thought
> > was using PHP, but based on the following criteria, what other options
> > might one suggest: security, licensing, installation, maintainability,
> > UI, read and write to DB (Access most likely)?

> > The idea is that our existing app is going to dump a bunch of data to
> > a DB. The user will then have the option to view the error reports
> > and make corrections (chtml view class). My idea was to present this
> > data using PHP/CSS.

> > Any suggestions, reads would be greatly appreciated.

> If you're going to write a database-driven webapp (which is sounds
> like you are), a C#/ASPX project is probably one of the easiest
> solutions to create and maintain, given the massive amount of
> automatic code generation Visual Studio will do for you.
>
> Presenting information from a database is as simple as throwing a
> gridview on a page and .NET built-ins make database access and UI
> building almost trivial.
>
> The restriction, of course, is that you'll need a server capable of
> serving aspx (IIS, probably).

This is pretty much what I am looking for. Thanks for your input.