Velocity Reviews

-   -   Text over Text errors (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t617997-text-over-text-errors.html)

letterman@invalid.com 06-02-2008 05:34 AM

Text over Text errors

I have Firefox 2.0.0.11 under Windows98se.
Although I like Firefox, I find that far too many times I get text
overlayed over other text on webpages. This is most annoying.
If I load the same page using IE6, I dont see this problem. Why does
FF do this? Here's an example.
If I load http://www.astro.com
The blue box on the top left corner has text on top of other text.
This box is under the words "Astrodienst Offers"
I see this on far too many websites, and am finding myself using IE
more and more often because I cant cope with these scrambled pages.

I also have Opera installed, which I rarely use, (and dont much care
for). I loaded this same page in Opera and I do not see this problem.
Only FF seems to cause this. This is NOT acceptable !

Anyone know why?

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 06-02-2008 06:14 AM

Re: Text over Text errors

letterman@invalid.com wrote:
> I have Firefox 2.0.0.11 under Windows98se.
> Although I like Firefox, I find that far too many times I get text
> overlayed over other text on webpages. This is most annoying.
> If I load the same page using IE6, I dont see this problem. Why does
> FF do this? Here's an example.
> If I load http://www.astro.com
> The blue box on the top left corner has text on top of other text.
> This box is under the words "Astrodienst Offers"
> I see this on far too many websites, and am finding myself using IE
> more and more often because I cant cope with these scrambled pages.
>
> I also have Opera installed, which I rarely use, (and dont much care
> for). I loaded this same page in Opera and I do not see this problem.
> Only FF seems to cause this. This is NOT acceptable !
>
> Anyone know why?

sorry, but I see the same thing in IE as I do in FF,
SeaMonkey, Netscape 9, Safari 3.1, and Opera. Perhaps you
can post a screenshot of what you see.

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

TheGuy 06-02-2008 07:56 AM

Re: Text over Text errors

> Anyone know why?

Looks perfect here (FF2, latest version).

I *very* occasionally run into websites that don't display properly on
FF, but only due to shitty HTML design, so it's unlikely that they
display correctly on anything other than IE.

letterman@invalid.com 06-02-2008 09:03 AM

Re: Text over Text errors

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 19:56:42 +1200, TheGuy <theguy@optus.com> wrote:

>> Anyone know why?

>Looks perfect here (FF2, latest version).
>
>I *very* occasionally run into websites that don't display properly on
>FF, but only due to shitty HTML design, so it's unlikely that they
>display correctly on anything other than IE.

Thanks for the feedback.
It looks horrible here.

I saved a screen capture of both the top part of the FF screen, and
the same part of the IE screen. I'd like to post this so others can
see it. I have parts of the top of the screen in that blue box and
the very top of the page is chopped off. I tried changing the fonts,
the view/screen size, and let FF choose the font (both on an off).
Eirther way, it's horrid. I'd like to post the screen capture
somewhere, but this is not a binary group and aioe.org does not allow
binaries anyhow. Is there some website where I can post this .jpg
capture without actually creating a webpage and all that hassle? Just
some place to put the photo for temporary. I'd really like everyone
to see this mess. Maybe someone can make sense of it by seeing it.
It's too hard to explain.

I'd hate to leave FF, but this is just intolerable, and I probably see
this on about 35% of all web pages. This particular page is worse
than usual. Some I can read if I struggle to see the text below the
other text, but this page is just a mass of scrambled junk.

Thanks for all help.

Roland de Ruiter 06-02-2008 09:38 AM

Re: Text over Text errors

On 2-6-2008 11:03, letterman@invalid.com wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 19:56:42 +1200, TheGuy <theguy@optus.com> wrote:
>
>>> Anyone know why?

>> Looks perfect here (FF2, latest version).
>>
>> I *very* occasionally run into websites that don't display properly on
>> FF, but only due to shitty HTML design, so it's unlikely that they
>> display correctly on anything other than IE.

> Thanks for the feedback.
> It looks horrible here.
>
> I saved a screen capture of both the top part of the FF screen, and
> the same part of the IE screen. I'd like to post this so others can
> see it. I have parts of the top of the screen in that blue box and
> the very top of the page is chopped off. I tried changing the fonts,
> the view/screen size, and let FF choose the font (both on an off).
> Eirther way, it's horrid. I'd like to post the screen capture
> somewhere, but this is not a binary group and aioe.org does not allow
> binaries anyhow. Is there some website where I can post this .jpg
> capture without actually creating a webpage and all that hassle? Just
> some place to put the photo for temporary. I'd really like everyone
> to see this mess. Maybe someone can make sense of it by seeing it.
> It's too hard to explain.
>
> I'd hate to leave FF, but this is just intolerable, and I probably see
> this on about 35% of all web pages. This particular page is worse
> than usual. Some I can read if I struggle to see the text below the
> other text, but this page is just a mass of scrambled junk.
>
> Thanks for all help.

You could use <http://tinypic.com/> to host your screendumps; no
registration required.

Which extensions are you running? Maybe some extension is the cause of
your troubles.

Try to:
clear your cache
start Firefox in safe mode
start Firefox with a new/clean profile.
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Standard_diagnostic_(Firefox)>

--
Regards,

Roland

The Chief Instigator 06-02-2008 03:05 PM

Re: Text over Text errors

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:34:01 -0500, letterman@invalid.com <letterman@invalid.com> wrote:
> I have Firefox 2.0.0.11 under Windows98se.
> Although I like Firefox, I find that far too many times I get text
> overlayed over other text on webpages. This is most annoying.
> If I load the same page using IE6, I dont see this problem. Why does
> FF do this? Here's an example.
> If I load http://www.astro.com
> The blue box on the top left corner has text on top of other text.
> This box is under the words "Astrodienst Offers"
> I see this on far too many websites, and am finding myself using IE
> more and more often because I cant cope with these scrambled pages.
>
> I also have Opera installed, which I rarely use, (and dont much care
> for). I loaded this same page in Opera and I do not see this problem.
> Only FF seems to cause this. This is NOT acceptable !
>
> Anyone know why?

It looks fine using FF 2.0.0.14...maybe you should try hitting the increase
or decrease text size (Ctrl - or Ctrl +).

--
Patrick "The Chief Instigator" Humphrey (patrick@io.com) Houston, Texas
www.io.com/~patrick/aeros.php (TCI's 2008-09 Houston Aeros) AA#2273

letterman@invalid.com 06-02-2008 03:42 PM

Re: Text over Text errors

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 11:38:01 +0200, Roland de Ruiter
<roland.de.ruiter@example.invalid> wrote:

>>> Looks perfect here (FF2, latest version).
>>>
>>> I *very* occasionally run into websites that don't display properly on
>>> FF, but only due to shitty HTML design, so it's unlikely that they
>>> display correctly on anything other than IE.

>> Thanks for the feedback.
>> It looks horrible here.
>>
>> I saved a screen capture of both the top part of the FF screen, and
>> the same part of the IE screen. I'd like to post this so others can
>> see it. I have parts of the top of the screen in that blue box and
>> the very top of the page is chopped off. I tried changing the fonts,
>> the view/screen size, and let FF choose the font (both on an off).
>> Eirther way, it's horrid. I'd like to post the screen capture
>> somewhere, but this is not a binary group and aioe.org does not allow
>> binaries anyhow. Is there some website where I can post this .jpg
>> capture without actually creating a webpage and all that hassle? Just
>> some place to put the photo for temporary. I'd really like everyone
>> to see this mess. Maybe someone can make sense of it by seeing it.
>> It's too hard to explain.
>>
>> I'd hate to leave FF, but this is just intolerable, and I probably see
>> this on about 35% of all web pages. This particular page is worse
>> than usual. Some I can read if I struggle to see the text below the
>> other text, but this page is just a mass of scrambled junk.
>>
>> Thanks for all help.

>You could use <http://tinypic.com/> to host your screendumps; no
>registration required.

OK, here's the link to the picture (I put both shots together and
labelled them.
http://i27.tinypic.com/ogvvbd.jpg

>Which extensions are you running? Maybe some extension is the cause of
>your troubles.

Fasterfox 2.0
Flashblock 1.5.4.1
Download helper 2.5.3
Image zoom 0.3
Pdf download 0.9.3.2
Dom Inspector 1.8.1.11
Configuration Mania 1.09.2007122901
Cache Viewer 0.4.4
Adblock Plus 0.7.5.3
Colorful Tabs 2.0.8

>Try to:
> clear your cache

Done that many times

> start Firefox in safe mode

How do I do that?

> start Firefox with a new/clean profile.

I dont want to lose my whole profile, should I just install another
copy of Firefox in another folder? Or what's another way?

Thanks for the advice.

That tinypic.com will be useful in the future.

letterman@invalid.com 06-02-2008 03:43 PM

Re: Text over Text errors

On 02 Jun 2008 15:05:31 GMT, The Chief Instigator <patrick@io.com>
wrote:

>On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 00:34:01 -0500, letterman@invalid.com <letterman@invalid.com> wrote:
>> I have Firefox 2.0.0.11 under Windows98se.
>> Although I like Firefox, I find that far too many times I get text
>> overlayed over other text on webpages. This is most annoying.
>> If I load the same page using IE6, I dont see this problem. Why does
>> FF do this? Here's an example.
>> If I load http://www.astro.com
>> The blue box on the top left corner has text on top of other text.
>> This box is under the words "Astrodienst Offers"
>> I see this on far too many websites, and am finding myself using IE
>> more and more often because I cant cope with these scrambled pages.
>>
>> I also have Opera installed, which I rarely use, (and dont much care
>> for). I loaded this same page in Opera and I do not see this problem.
>> Only FF seems to cause this. This is NOT acceptable !
>>
>> Anyone know why?

>It looks fine using FF 2.0.0.14...maybe you should try hitting the increase
>or decrease text size (Ctrl - or Ctrl +).

I tried that, no changes.

Thanks

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo 06-02-2008 04:35 PM

Re: Text over Text errors

letterman@invalid.com wrote:
>> start Firefox in safe mode

> How do I do that?

I don't know what operating system you're using, but if its
windows, close FF, then click on the windows start button,
then run and enter:

firefox.exe -safe-mode

does the problem continue?

>> start Firefox with a new/clean profile.

> I dont want to lose my whole profile, should I just install another
> copy of Firefox in another folder? Or what's another way?

when someone asks you to create a new profile, its usually
for testing purposes to see if the problem continues in that.

To create a test profile, again for windows, close FF, click
on the start button, then run and enter:

firefox.exe -p

this will start the FF profile manager. Create a test
profile. Does the problem continue in that?

However, I would check your settings first. The problem
looks like a font issue: Tools, Options, Advanced button for
Fonts, and make sure that "allow pages to choose their own
fonts . . . " is checked. Did that work?

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Rom 06-02-2008 06:13 PM

Re: Text over Text errors

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:42:06 -0500, letterman@invalid.com wrote:

> http://i27.tinypic.com/ogvvbd.jpg

In my usual profile of Fx 2.0.0.14, Fx looked mostly like your Fx.
Fx still looked the same in Fx Safe Mode.
Fx looked normal in another near default profile.

Of the extensions you listed, I have Flashblock, Cache Viewer and
Adblock Plus. I noticed you had Image zoom, and I use No Squint.
Setting No Squint back down to 100% only 'fixed' the text at the top.

I had changed some of the fonts (face and size) in Fx some time back,
so set them all back to defaults from looking at another Fx and that
fixed the menu text problem. The font setting that fixed it here is:
Tools > Options > Content, under Fonts & Colors, Advanced button,
Minimum font size was not at the default of "None", but larger at 13,
and displays okay when set at 10 (or None).

The yellow star in the top left corner in your Fx image is much
smaller, and the star was normal size here, so perhaps check the Image
zoom extension you use.

--
Rom