Velocity Reviews

-   -   Moving VOIP number back to BT (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t617779-moving-voip-number-back-to-bt.html)

NutCracker 05-31-2008 09:37 AM

Moving VOIP number back to BT

I used to have two BT lines - I cancelled one of them a couple of years
ago and ported it to a VOIP company.

The remaining BT line runs my ADSL connection.

I now wish to move my VOIP number back to BT AND for it to replace my
current landline number (that has ADSL). I don't want any interruption
to service - landline or internet.

Is this possible? What are the steps required? I'm having a
frustrating time with BT about this....

Thanks

Nutz

Peter Gradwell 05-31-2008 01:42 PM

Re: Moving VOIP number back to BT

NutCracker wrote:
> I used to have two BT lines - I cancelled one of them a couple of years
> ago and ported it to a VOIP company.
>
> The remaining BT line runs my ADSL connection.
>
> I now wish to move my VOIP number back to BT AND for it to replace my
> current landline number (that has ADSL). I don't want any interruption
> to service - landline or internet.
>
> Is this possible? What are the steps required? I'm having a frustrating
> time with BT about this....

Indeed, unfortunately, you just have to persuade BT to accept the order.
It's the gaining operators responsibility to service their new customer.

cheers
peter

<email/web_hosting/business_voip> <t:01225 800 810>

Nick 05-31-2008 02:58 PM

NutCracker wrote:
> I used to have two BT lines - I cancelled one of them a couple of years
> ago and ported it to a VOIP company.
>
> The remaining BT line runs my ADSL connection.
>
> I now wish to move my VOIP number back to BT AND for it to replace my
> current landline number (that has ADSL). I don't want any interruption
> to service - landline or internet.
>
> Is this possible? What are the steps required? I'm having a frustrating
> time with BT about this....
>
> Thanks
>
> Nutz

Out of curiosity why are you changing back from VOIP to BT.

NutCracker 05-31-2008 04:42 PM

On 2008-05-31 15:58:20 +0100, Nick <Nick.Spam@yahoo.co.uk> said:

> NutCracker wrote:
>> I used to have two BT lines - I cancelled one of them a couple of years
>> ago and ported it to a VOIP company.
>>
>> The remaining BT line runs my ADSL connection.
>>
>> I now wish to move my VOIP number back to BT AND for it to replace my
>> current landline number (that has ADSL). I don't want any interruption
>> to service - landline or internet.
>>
>> Is this possible? What are the steps required? I'm having a
>> frustrating time with BT about this....
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Nutz
>>

> Out of curiosity why are you changing back from VOIP to BT.

To be honest we don't use the phone that much and BT offers free
evening and weekend calls (which is when the phone is more likely to be
used). The main reason though was the VOIP service that I've been
having - dropped calls - too many for it to be very frustrating when
making or receiving calls.

Having spent the last week or so dealing with my VOIP provider and BT
things have improved - coincidence? :-) I use the Sipura SPA3000.

Brian A 06-01-2008 12:08 PM

On Sat, 31 May 2008 16:42:11 GMT, NutCracker <Nutz@NoMail.Net> wrote:

>On 2008-05-31 15:58:20 +0100, Nick <Nick.Spam@yahoo.co.uk> said:
>
>> NutCracker wrote:
>>> I used to have two BT lines - I cancelled one of them a couple of years
>>> ago and ported it to a VOIP company.
>>>
>>> The remaining BT line runs my ADSL connection.
>>>
>>> I now wish to move my VOIP number back to BT AND for it to replace my
>>> current landline number (that has ADSL). I don't want any interruption
>>> to service - landline or internet.
>>>
>>> Is this possible? What are the steps required? I'm having a
>>> frustrating time with BT about this....
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Nutz
>>>

>> Out of curiosity why are you changing back from VOIP to BT.

>To be honest we don't use the phone that much and BT offers free
>evening and weekend calls (which is when the phone is more likely to be
>used). The main reason though was the VOIP service that I've been
>having - dropped calls - too many for it to be very frustrating when
>making or receiving calls.
>
>Having spent the last week or so dealing with my VOIP provider and BT
>things have improved - coincidence? :-) I use the Sipura SPA3000.

So you problem might be solved. Dropped calls isn't an implicit
feature with voip. It can be due to your connection - I had lots of
problems when VM upgraded customers to higher speeds, or it could be
your voip provider. If you already have the BT deal why not try taking
incoming calls via voip and doing outgoing evening via BT. This is all
easy to do with an SPA-3000. Managing weekend calls is slightly more
difficult but can be achieved in various ways.
For CLI consitency, when routing via voip, the Betamax companies have
provision for you to forward any standard number that you own, via
their network, as your CLI. I would imagine, perhaps with more
difficulty, that other providers could also provide this facility.

---
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
---

NutCracker 06-01-2008 03:10 PM

On 2008-06-01 13:08:03 +0100, Brian A <no_spam_bca1000@hotmail.com> said:

> On Sat, 31 May 2008 16:42:11 GMT, NutCracker <Nutz@NoMail.Net> wrote:

>>> Out of curiosity why are you changing back from VOIP to BT.

>> To be honest we don't use the phone that much and BT offers free
>> evening and weekend calls (which is when the phone is more likely to be
>> used). The main reason though was the VOIP service that I've been
>> having - dropped calls - too many for it to be very frustrating when
>> making or receiving calls.
>>
>> Having spent the last week or so dealing with my VOIP provider and BT
>> things have improved - coincidence? :-) I use the Sipura SPA3000.
>>

> So you problem might be solved. Dropped calls isn't an implicit
> feature with voip. It can be due to your connection - I had lots of
> problems when VM upgraded customers to higher speeds, or it could be
> your voip provider. If you already have the BT deal why not try taking
> incoming calls via voip and doing outgoing evening via BT. This is all
> easy to do with an SPA-3000. Managing weekend calls is slightly more
> difficult but can be achieved in various ways.
> For CLI consitency, when routing via voip, the Betamax companies have
> provision for you to forward any standard number that you own, via
> their network, as your CLI. I would imagine, perhaps with more
> difficulty, that other providers could also provide this facility.
>

> ---
> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
> ---

I have a simiar call plan now (including CLI) with my current VOIP
provider just unfortunate for it not to be reliable enough for
making/receiving calls - and of course there's the WAF to take into
consideration! ;-) The net connection itself is pretty reliable - so
don't believe that's the problem and the SPA3000 and the phones
themself appear all to be working fine.

BT though are certainly adamant that the VOIP company has to release
the number to them which conflicts with other information that I've
read and been told, i.e. the gaining operator is the one that deals
with the porting of the number. Well I guess if things don't improve
then I may have to resort to getting the other line activated...

Brian A 06-01-2008 07:47 PM

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:10:28 GMT, NutCracker <Nutz@NoMail.Net> wrote:

>On 2008-06-01 13:08:03 +0100, Brian A <no_spam_bca1000@hotmail.com> said:

>>> To be honest we don't use the phone that much and BT offers free
>>> evening and weekend calls (which is when the phone is more likely to be
>>> used). The main reason though was the VOIP service that I've been
>>> having - dropped calls - too many for it to be very frustrating when
>>> making or receiving calls.
>>>
>>> Having spent the last week or so dealing with my VOIP provider and BT
>>> things have improved - coincidence? :-) I use the Sipura SPA3000.
>>>

>> So you problem might be solved. Dropped calls isn't an implicit
>> feature with voip. It can be due to your connection - I had lots of
>> problems when VM upgraded customers to higher speeds, or it could be
>> your voip provider. If you already have the BT deal why not try taking
>> incoming calls via voip and doing outgoing evening via BT. This is all
>> easy to do with an SPA-3000. Managing weekend calls is slightly more
>> difficult but can be achieved in various ways.
>> For CLI consitency, when routing via voip, the Betamax companies have
>> provision for you to forward any standard number that you own, via
>> their network, as your CLI. I would imagine, perhaps with more
>> difficulty, that other providers could also provide this facility.
>>

>> ---
>> Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
>> ---

>I have a simiar call plan now (including CLI) with my current VOIP
>provider just unfortunate for it not to be reliable enough for
>making/receiving calls - and of course there's the WAF to take into
>consideration! ;-)

It is so easy to try another provider. I did try one provider that was
very good value for money but calls dropped. With JustVoip calls have
all been perfect. Not only my experience but that of two other people
I know with Linksys boxes. None of us use JustVoip for incoming calls
though so I can't vouch for the reliability in that respect but we all
use voxalot to route outgoing calls via JustVoip.
If you are confident that your line is OK then for the sake of 10 it
could save you a lot of trouble.
b.t.w. Am I to assume WAF=wife? If so my one of my female relations,
in her 80s, uses voip for outgoing calls and says that it is
absolutely fine.
I think that you have just been unlucky.

---