Velocity Reviews

-   -   How do I switch to Programming ? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t616997-how-do-i-switch-to-programming.html)

kade714@yahoo.com 05-27-2008 06:17 AM

How do I switch to Programming ?

Need some guidance please:

I have several years of experience in: desktop support, some server,
and basic network. I started as a desktop person and thought I would
move over to the networking side. Got my ccna and started on ccnp,
but I don't feel satisfied. I feel more and more tired of this
"support" role. I know IT is basically a support role, but I think I
may be happier helping to create programs instead.

I have basic experience from college years ago. Pascal, VB, Java.
I'm starting to teach myself C# now.

Anyway, would it be beneficial for me to get MS certified? Most entry-
level programmer/developer positions are looking for recent-college-
grads... so I'm not sure how to market myself.

I understand MCSD is going away, so I can start on the new MCTS/MCPD
path. What do those of you that have experience in the field think?

How can I position/market myself for this new career? And am I only
able to pursue entry-level jobs? I've thought about getting a
Master's in CS, but that would take years since I need to continue to
support the family.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks