Velocity Reviews

-   -   Re: Vista Home Premium 64 and USB Drives (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t615684-re-vista-home-premium-64-and-usb-drives.html)

R. C. White 05-19-2008 03:06 PM

Re: Vista Home Premium 64 and USB Drives

Hi, BP.

In addition to Colin's comments...

Use Disk Management to (semi-)permanently assign drive letters to each
drive, so that they don't all "race" for a letter when you plug them in. If
the letters are not already assigned elsewhere, you might use F: for the
Flash Drive and H: and I: for the external hard drives - but those are only
suggestions, of course. You can use almost any letters you like; choose
some that will help you remember which letter goes with which drive. DM
assigns letters according to its own rules, and what is Drive F: today might
be Drive G: the next time you plug it in. But if YOU assign the letters, DM
will remember them and try to assign the same letter to the same device each
time it is plugged in.

There are several ways to find Disk Management. Perhaps the easiest in
Vista is to press the Start button, then type into the Search box:
diskmgmt.msc That filename should then appear at the top of your Search
results. Right-click it and choose to Run as Administrator.

Disk Management is a VERY useful utility that is included in every copy of
Windows since Windows 2000. Every serious user (even serious amateurs)
should take some time to get familiar with it. It's A Good Thing! ;<)

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

BP 05-19-2008 11:40 PM

Re: Vista Home Premium 64 and USB Drives

R. C. White pretended :
> Hi, BP.
>
> In addition to Colin's comments...
>
> Use Disk Management to (semi-)permanently assign drive letters to each drive,
> so that they don't all "race" for a letter when you plug them in. If the
> letters are not already assigned elsewhere, you might use F: for the Flash
> Drive and H: and I: for the external hard drives - but those are only
> suggestions, of course. You can use almost any letters you like; choose some
> that will help you remember which letter goes with which drive. DM assigns
> letters according to its own rules, and what is Drive F: today might be Drive
> G: the next time you plug it in. But if YOU assign the letters, DM will
> remember them and try to assign the same letter to the same device each time
> it is plugged in.
>
> There are several ways to find Disk Management. Perhaps the easiest in Vista
> is to press the Start button, then type into the Search box: diskmgmt.msc
> That filename should then appear at the top of your Search results.
> Right-click it and choose to Run as Administrator.
>
> Disk Management is a VERY useful utility that is included in every copy of
> Windows since Windows 2000. Every serious user (even serious amateurs)
> should take some time to get familiar with it. It's A Good Thing! ;<)
>
> RC

I haven't tried doing this, but it makes sense. Let me see how things
go before I do something else. I have taken Charlie's advice and
things seem (cross fingers for luck) to be working.

Now, if I could figure out hoe to make a program (ex. NewsFilter) load
and run when I boot up the system ....