Velocity Reviews

-   -   Vista 64 bit (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t615673-vista-64-bit.html)

ricsgone 05-19-2008 02:48 PM

Vista 64 bit

I am currently running Win XP Pro (32 bit). I am intending to upgrade to Win
Vista Home Premium and purchased the upgrade in 32 bit but have ordered the
64 bit DVD from MS. Here's the question: Can I go ahead and upgrade using
the 32 bit version I have and then upgrade that to the 64 bit version when it
arrives?

My system is a new build; Core 2 Duo E8400, Asus P5K Deluxe MB, 8 Gb OCZ
Platinum, nVidia 9600 GT (512) Direct X 10 and 2 x 320Gb Seagate SATA drives.
All of my equipment supports 64 bit.
--
Ric Thomas

Bobby Johnson 05-19-2008 02:53 PM

Re: Vista 64 bit

Going to 64-bit requires a clean install of the 64-bit OS.
There is no capability to upgrade the 32-bit OS to the
64-bit version.

ricsgone 05-19-2008 03:27 PM

RE: Vista 64 bit

I was under the assumption (maybe a poor choice of wording) that when you
upgrade to Win Vista, it gives you a choice of doing a clean install instead
of the upgrade. The install guide notes that a clean install can be done
under four different scenarios and then gives instructions if you have an
upgrade copy of Windows Vista by telling you that you have to start the
upgrade from within Windows choosing CUSTOM during the install.
--
Ric Thomas

R. C. White 05-19-2008 03:34 PM

Re: Vista 64 bit

Hi, Ric.

I just want to echo what Bobby said and add: There's no UPGRADE path from
ANY 32-bit to ANY 64-bit operating system - or vice-versa. A clean install
is not just recommended; it's required. It's a hardware platform thing.
:>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

R. C. White 05-19-2008 03:42 PM

Re: Vista 64 bit

Hi (again), Ric.

Correct. And I think if you go a bit further, you will see that a Custom
install is essentially a Clean install.

You might want to read this page:
http://www.theeldergeekvista.com/vis...stallation.htm

It was the first hit when I Googled for "vista +'custom install'".

RC

ricsgone 05-19-2008 04:06 PM

Re: Vista 64 bit

Thanks R.C. I had planned on doing a clean install since I just built this
and there's really nothing to back up as far as files, settings, etc. I
guess I just need to understand whether I will still be able to to a clean
install from Vista 32 to Vista 64 when the DVD arrives or just bag it and
wait till it arrives before moving from XP to Vista 64.
--
Ric Thomas

R. C. White 05-19-2008 04:27 PM

Re: Vista 64 bit

Hi, Ric.

If you are like me, you'll want to install Vista x86 and play with it while
waiting for the x64 DVD. ;^} But when x64 arrives, I would backup any DATA
(not apps - those will have to be installed again from original media
anyhow) that I wanted to keep, then do a clean-from-scratch install of x64
by booting from the x64 DVD and following the prompts - including
reformatting the drive.

I hope you don't have to wait TOO long for the x64 DVD. That's a lot of
great hardware just sitting there waiting to be put to use. ;^)

RC

Colin Barnhorst 05-19-2008 04:50 PM

Re: Vista 64 bit

You will get the choice between upgrade or custom when both the old XP and
the new Vista are 32bit. When going from the old XP to a new Vista 64bit
the upgrade option will be greyed out.

You will not be able to run the Vista x64 Setup from the XP desktop like you
would the Vista x86 Setup. You will have to boot the computer with the x64
dvd. Upgrade is never an option when booting with the media, not even in
XP.

Colin Barnhorst 05-19-2008 04:51 PM

Re: Vista 64 bit

It took me about a week from the order to delivery (twice) so you would not
have to wait very long.

Colin Barnhorst 05-19-2008 04:57 PM

Re: Vista 64 bit

Specifically, the x64 setup is a 64bit program and cannot run on x86 so x64
has to be installed by booting with the dvd. Upgrade is never an option
when booting from the media, even when using 32bit setup in XP. The way
upgrade works in setup, the OS being upgraded has to be running to do an
upgrade in place.