Velocity Reviews

-   -   64-bit Required for Dual Core...? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t614960-64-bit-required-for-dual-core.html)

Ben 05-15-2008 10:35 AM

64-bit Required for Dual Core...?

I have a laptop that came with Vista Ultimate 64 bit. It's a dual core
processor -- and for some reason I thought you had to have a 64-bit OS to
take advantage of multicore systems. Vista has been a bit of a pain, and
I'd rather use XP on it. I have a copy of 32-bit XP Pro -- will the OS take
advantage of the dual-core processor? Thanks!

Dominic Payer 05-15-2008 11:25 AM

Re: 64-bit Required for Dual Core...?

XP Pro will use both cores, but check that there are XP drivers for all your
laptop devices before you change.

Charlie Russel - MVP 05-15-2008 03:41 PM

Re: 64-bit Required for Dual Core...?

Also, if that laptop have >2 GB of RAM, you may lose some of the available
RAM.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Colin Barnhorst 05-15-2008 06:06 PM

Re: 64-bit Required for Dual Core...?

All XP can use both cores. Cores are logical processors and the number of
them on a physical processor is irrelevant. It can be one, two, three, or
four.

Dual physical processors are what require Pro since Home can only use one.
The number of cores in each of those two processors does not matter.

Colin Barnhorst 05-15-2008 06:08 PM

Re: 64-bit Required for Dual Core...?

No. Anyway, not all multicore processors are 64bit capable. The Intel Core
Duo is a dual core 32bit cpu.

32bit editions of Windows run natively on 64bit cpus just fine.

Ben 05-15-2008 07:10 PM

Re: 64-bit Required for Dual Core...?

Thanks for the info everyone, very helpful! I've looked into it a little
more and found that I have a Intel Core 2 duo T7200 processor, which is
64-bit capable.

Would there be a benefit to sticking with Vista Ultimate 64 and just to a
reformat and reinstalling of it? I'm not sure what the benefits of a 64-bit
OS might be, but after using it for almost a year it just seems overall a
bit sluggish. It could be that starting over with SP1 applied prior to
using it might be better than going with XP Pro 32-bit...?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

Jeff Gaines 05-15-2008 09:30 PM

Re: 64-bit Required for Dual Core...?

On 15/05/2008 in message
<05863A3C-E6D5-4D00-A733-F75E69BC35FA@microsoft.com> Ben wrote:

>Would there be a benefit to sticking with Vista Ultimate 64 and just to a
>reformat and reinstalling of it? I'm not sure what the benefits of a
>64-bit OS might be, but after using it for almost a year it just seems
>overall a bit sluggish. It could be that starting over with SP1 applied
>prior to using it might be better than going with XP Pro 32-bit...?

That's the sort of question that can lead to quite long and, perhaps,
heated replies :-)

I have tried very hard not to go the regular install route with Windows
but when I finally give in I always find the machine more responsive. I
even use an XP VM for trying software before I install it on the main
machine so I don't clog the main machine up. I also run NOD32 (64 bit
version) and regularly run cCleaner and Spybot, check the disk regularly
and defrag regularly. Nothing seems to beat a re-install though.

What we really need from MSFT is a decent registry cleaner and de-fragger
(I would prefer to dump the registry except for system entries) along with
a proper file manager instead of these silly cut down versions of "Movie
Maker" etc.

I suspect a re-install would give you a new lease of life - what I have
done now is a clean re-install, load all he system drivers then activate
and ghost the drive, that should mean a future re-install is a 10 minute
job. I take a second image after all the apps are installed and activated
then replace those over time as new apps are installed. I still have my
base image though.

--
Jeff Gaines
Damerham Hampshire UK

Ben 05-16-2008 07:04 AM

Re: 64-bit Required for Dual Core...?

Thanks... I think this thread has gotten a little diluted -- my fault,
didn't really know what to ask. Thanks for your reply -- I'm going to start
a new thread and try to ask the question more clearly.