Velocity Reviews

-   -   Bios Rom checksum error (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t614835-bios-rom-checksum-error.html)

William 05-14-2008 06:09 PM

Bios Rom checksum error

I've have had some trouble starting my computer after I had to unplug it
because of an electrical storm but, after a few tries, was able to start
it. This time I had not unpluged it only shut it down through windows. When
I turned it on I got the Bios Rom checksum error and instructions to boot
from floppy. I bought a new battery for rom but this did no good. I have
WinXP installed. Made floppy startup disk from my other computer. Computer
will read floppy and go to the A prompt but there are no more tools so this
is as far as I can go. Computer will not boot from my CD or DVD drive. What
advice can you give me, anyone. Thank you.
William

Baron 05-14-2008 07:37 PM

Re: Bios Rom checksum error

William wrote:

> I've have had some trouble starting my computer after I had to
> unplug it
> because of an electrical storm but, after a few tries, was able to
> start it. This time I had not unpluged it only shut it down through
> windows. When I turned it on I got the Bios Rom checksum error and
> instructions to boot from floppy. I bought a new battery for rom but
> this did no good. I have WinXP installed. Made floppy startup disk
> from my other computer. Computer will read floppy and go to the A
> prompt but there are no more tools so this is as far as I can go.
> Computer will not boot from my CD or DVD drive. What advice can you
> give me, anyone. Thank you. William

Possibly your PSU has been damaged, so I would at least try a new one.
The BIOS checksum error usually means what it says ! This can often be
as simple as going into it and re-detecting your drives and closing it.
It is very unlikely to be anything to do with the battery.
HTH.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

William 05-14-2008 09:06 PM

Re: Bios Rom checksum error

"Baron" <baron.nospam@linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
> William wrote:
>
>> I've have had some trouble starting my computer after I had to
>> unplug it
>> because of an electrical storm but, after a few tries, was able to
>> start it. This time I had not unpluged it only shut it down through
>> windows. When I turned it on I got the Bios Rom checksum error and
>> instructions to boot from floppy. I bought a new battery for rom but
>> this did no good. I have WinXP installed. Made floppy startup disk
>> from my other computer. Computer will read floppy and go to the A
>> prompt but there are no more tools so this is as far as I can go.
>> Computer will not boot from my CD or DVD drive. What advice can you
>> give me, anyone. Thank you. William

> Possibly your PSU has been damaged, so I would at least try a new one.
> The BIOS checksum error usually means what it says ! This can often be
> as simple as going into it and re-detecting your drives and closing it.
> It is very unlikely to be anything to do with the battery.
> HTH.
> --
> Best Regards:
> Baron.

Thanks Baron. Just so I understand and I hope I don't sound too dumb. PSU
stands for power supply unit. Is this correct? Could just part of it be bad?
I did have a Win98 startup disk with the cd driver on it but it could not
detect any cd drives. Also it said it could not detect any FAT.
William
William

Baron 05-14-2008 10:11 PM

Re: Bios Rom checksum error

William wrote:

> "Baron" <baron.nospam@linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> William wrote:
>>
>>> I've have had some trouble starting my computer after I had to
>>> unplug it
>>> because of an electrical storm but, after a few tries, was able to
>>> start it. This time I had not unpluged it only shut it down through
>>> windows. When I turned it on I got the Bios Rom checksum error and
>>> instructions to boot from floppy. I bought a new battery for rom but
>>> this did no good. I have WinXP installed. Made floppy startup disk
>>> from my other computer. Computer will read floppy and go to the A
>>> prompt but there are no more tools so this is as far as I can go.
>>> Computer will not boot from my CD or DVD drive. What advice can you
>>> give me, anyone. Thank you. William

>> Possibly your PSU has been damaged, so I would at least try a new
>> one.
>> The BIOS checksum error usually means what it says ! This can often
>> be as simple as going into it and re-detecting your drives and
>> closing it. It is very unlikely to be anything to do with the
>> battery. HTH.
>> --
>> Best Regards:
>> Baron.

> Thanks Baron. Just so I understand and I hope I don't sound too
> dumb. PSU
> stands for power supply unit. Is this correct?

Yes.

> Could just part of it be bad?

More than likely !

> I did have a Win98 startup disk with the cd driver on it but
> it could not detect any cd drives.

That could be just configuration error. Check the BIOS first.

> Also it said it could not detect any FAT. William

XP doesn't use FAT William's ;-)

Unless you have specifically used a FAT file system, XP used NTFS.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Paul 05-14-2008 10:27 PM

Re: Bios Rom checksum error

William wrote:
> "Baron" <baron.nospam@linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> William wrote:
>>
>>> I've have had some trouble starting my computer after I had to
>>> unplug it
>>> because of an electrical storm but, after a few tries, was able to
>>> start it. This time I had not unpluged it only shut it down through
>>> windows. When I turned it on I got the Bios Rom checksum error and
>>> instructions to boot from floppy. I bought a new battery for rom but
>>> this did no good. I have WinXP installed. Made floppy startup disk
>>> from my other computer. Computer will read floppy and go to the A
>>> prompt but there are no more tools so this is as far as I can go.
>>> Computer will not boot from my CD or DVD drive. What advice can you
>>> give me, anyone. Thank you. William

>> Possibly your PSU has been damaged, so I would at least try a new one.
>> The BIOS checksum error usually means what it says ! This can often be
>> as simple as going into it and re-detecting your drives and closing it.
>> It is very unlikely to be anything to do with the battery.
>> HTH.
>> --
>> Best Regards:
>> Baron.

> Thanks Baron. Just so I understand and I hope I don't sound too dumb. PSU
> stands for power supply unit. Is this correct? Could just part of it be bad?
> I did have a Win98 startup disk with the cd driver on it but it could not
> detect any cd drives. Also it said it could not detect any FAT.
> William
> William

You don't say what kind of motherboard it is, but if you can boot a
DOS floppy, then you may be able to run BIOS tools. For example, you
could use a DOS BIOS tool in read-only mode, and make an archival copy
of the current BIOS, and save it to the floppy. (The exceptions to
this, are a few modern motherboards where the BIOS image is now
larger than can be stored on a floppy.)

In terms of things that will upset the BIOS checksum -

1) Actual corruption of the BIOS. The BIOS executable code consists of two parts.
The boot block. And the main BIOS. The boot block, as the name
suggests, has limited booting ability. In the past, the boot block
may have allowed a "blind" BIOS recovery, as there might not have been
video output in that state. Perhaps your boot block works well enough,
to actually support video. Or, another interpretation, is the BIOS
main code actually ran. But if that were the case, the BIOS checksum would
have to be good. The main code won't run, unless the checksum passes.
So that implies you have an intact boot block, and perhaps you will be
able to use a BIOS tool.

2) It is possible for the BIOS settings, to actually upset the ability
to read the main ROM code. For example, if I overclocked my old AMD
motherboard, I could get reports of "bad checksum", followed by the
computer prompting me to "insert motherboard CD". In some cases, following
that instruction leads to disaster. Instead, the first thing to do,
is use the "Clear CMOS" or "Clear RTC" jumper. That returns the BIOS
settings, like some of the clock signals, to nominal safe values. After
which, the BIOS main code may be readable. If, on the other hand, I
inserted the motherboard CD, the board may attempt to flash the BIOS
chip, when we know the clock to the BIOS chip is currently out of
spec (which is why the checksum was bad).

Note - when clearing the CMOS or RTC (whatever terminology your motherboard
manual uses), be careful to remove all power from the computer. Unplug
the computer before following the procedure. You can actually damage
a diode on many boards, if you carry out clear CMOS, with power still
present.

If you use a BIOS tool, and make an archival copy of the BIOS, it will not
be exactly the same as the original BIOS. The BIOS consists of the main
code (invariant), DMI and ESCD (rewritable during POST or when using a DMI
tool), and the boot block at the end of the BIOS. If doing a binary comparison
or delta between the original BIOS image, and an archival copy, there will be
small sections near the end of the BIOS that won't match. So it is a
little difficult to determine whether the important parts of the BIOS match.

I would start with clearing the CMOS/RTC first, and then see if the
checksum error disappears. Removing the CMOS battery for a long period
of time will do the same thing - the CMOS settings are stored in a
small RAM (256 bytes) inside the Southbridge. When all power is
removed from the computer, and the CMOS battery is removed, the
256 byte memory will lose its contents. CMOS RAM is also protected by
checksum bytes, and the BIOS should be able to detect that it
needs to be re-initialized on the next POST. You can enter
the BIOS, after clearing the CMOS settings, and set any custom
settings you had before. For example, if you used to have a RAID
array connected to the motherboard, you'd check that the disk
interfaces were set to RAID mode. This is why it helps if you
write down any custom settings, for occasions when the settings
need to be restored.

Flashing the BIOS, would be something I'd save for later. First
try clearing the CMOS, and then POST back with whatever new
symptoms you're seeing.

And if you do flash the BIOS and brick the system (no POST),
as long as the BIOS chip is in a socket, you can go to badflash.com
and buy a new BIOS chip. That can be installed in the sccket,
to take the place of the old one. But that is only necessary, if
the boot block is also wiped out.

Paul

William 05-15-2008 02:26 PM

Re: Bios Rom checksum error

> [...]

> needs to be re-initialized on the next POST. You can enter
> the BIOS, after clearing the CMOS settings, and set any custom
> settings you had before. For example, if you used to have a RAID
> array connected to the motherboard, you'd check that the disk
> interfaces were set to RAID mode. This is why it helps if you
> write down any custom settings, for occasions when the settings
> need to be restored.
>
> Flashing the BIOS, would be something I'd save for later. First
> try clearing the CMOS, and then POST back with whatever new
> symptoms you're seeing.
>
> And if you do flash the BIOS and brick the system (no POST),
> as long as the BIOS chip is in a socket, you can go to badflash.com
> and buy a new BIOS chip. That can be installed in the sccket,
> to take the place of the old one. But that is only necessary, if

Hi Paul
I unpluged my computer from wall outlet. I removed rom battery. Left it
over night. This morning I put battery back in, pluged in computer and tried
to turn it on. Nothing happened. After several tries computer came on lights
came on cd and dvd drives. Computer light in front came on but no video.
Pushed reset button. Video came on. Message on screen

Award BootBlock Bios V1.0
Copywrite (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.
Bios Rom checksum error
Decting floppy drive A media
Insert system Disk and press enter

Put floppy startup disk in and pressed enter and nothing happened. Left
startup floppy in and pressed reset and computer read floppy. A:\> prompt
showed up. Like I said before there are no tools I can use on floppy. My
mother board is a SYNTAX K7SV266AD. I have not changed the Power supply yet
like Baron said. That is a little more trouble. What do you think I should
do next?
William

Baron 05-15-2008 02:55 PM

Re: Bios Rom checksum error

William Inscribed thus:

> [...]

> tried to turn it on. Nothing happened. After several tries computer
> came on lights came on cd and dvd drives. Computer light in front came
> on but no video. Pushed reset button. Video came on. Message on screen
>
> Award BootBlock Bios V1.0
> Copywrite (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.
> Bios Rom checksum error
> Decting floppy drive A media
> Insert system Disk and press enter
>
> Put floppy startup disk in and pressed enter and nothing happened.
> Left
> startup floppy in and pressed reset and computer read floppy. A:\>
> prompt showed up. Like I said before there are no tools I can use on
> floppy. My
> mother board is a SYNTAX K7SV266AD. I have not changed the Power
> supply yet like Baron said. That is a little more trouble. What do you

Hi William,

I don't think overnight would be long enough for the BIOS to forget its
settings. There will be a jumper on the mainboard that you move to do
this. Don't do this with the computer plugged in or powered. But do
maintain an earth connection between you and the case while you move
the jumper. Refer to your M/B manual if you are not sure.

Leave the jumper in the discharge position for ten seconds. Then put
the jumper back in its original place. Now you can turn the machine
back on and go through the BIOS settings as required.
--
Best Reagrds:
Baron.

William 05-15-2008 05:52 PM

Re: Bios Rom checksum error

> [...]

>> floppy. My
>> mother board is a SYNTAX K7SV266AD. I have not changed the Power
>> supply yet like Baron said. That is a little more trouble. What do you
>> think I should do next?
>> William

> Hi William,
>
> I don't think overnight would be long enough for the BIOS to forget its
> settings. There will be a jumper on the mainboard that you move to do
> this. Don't do this with the computer plugged in or powered. But do
> maintain an earth connection between you and the case while you move
> the jumper. Refer to your M/B manual if you are not sure.
>
> Leave the jumper in the discharge position for ten seconds. Then put
> the jumper back in its original place. Now you can turn the machine
> back on and go through the BIOS settings as required.

Hi Baron
Nothing changed. Everything came up the same. I even tried holding the
Delete key down hoping to bring up the Bios utility. Could not do it. I
already have another PSU. Do you think I could try it or do have another
sugestion? I can already get to the A prompt. Can I use an autoexec.bat
and/or a config.sys file to get to C: drive? If I can what parameters could
I put in? Thanks.
William

Baron 05-15-2008 06:38 PM

Re: Bios Rom checksum error

William wrote:

> "Baron" <baron.nospam@linuxmaniac.nospam.net> wrote in message
>> William Inscribed thus:
>>
>>> "Paul" <nospam@needed.com> wrote in message

>>> Hi Paul
>>> I unpluged my computer from wall outlet. I removed rom battery.
>>> Left it
>>> over night. This morning I put battery back in, pluged in computer
>>> and tried to turn it on. Nothing happened. After several tries
>>> computer came on lights came on cd and dvd drives. Computer light in
>>> front came on but no video. Pushed reset button. Video came on.
>>> Message on screen
>>>
>>> Award BootBlock Bios V1.0
>>> Copywrite (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.
>>> Bios Rom checksum error
>>> Decting floppy drive A media
>>> Insert system Disk and press enter
>>>
>>> Put floppy startup disk in and pressed enter and nothing happened.
>>> Left
>>> startup floppy in and pressed reset and computer read floppy. A:\>
>>> prompt showed up. Like I said before there are no tools I can use on
>>> floppy. My
>>> mother board is a SYNTAX K7SV266AD. I have not changed the Power
>>> supply yet like Baron said. That is a little more trouble. What do
>>> you think I should do next?
>>> William

>> Hi William,
>>
>> I don't think overnight would be long enough for the BIOS to forget
>> its
>> settings. There will be a jumper on the mainboard that you move to
>> do
>> this. Don't do this with the computer plugged in or powered. But do
>> maintain an earth connection between you and the case while you move
>> the jumper. Refer to your M/B manual if you are not sure.
>>
>> Leave the jumper in the discharge position for ten seconds. Then put
>> the jumper back in its original place. Now you can turn the machine
>> back on and go through the BIOS settings as required.
>> --
>> Best Reagrds:
>> Baron.

> Hi Baron
> Nothing changed. Everything came up the same. I even tried holding
> the
> Delete key down hoping to bring up the Bios utility. Could not do it.
> I already have another PSU. Do you think I could try it or do have
> another sugestion? I can already get to the A prompt. Can I use an
> autoexec.bat and/or a config.sys file to get to C: drive? If I can
> what parameters could I put in? Thanks.
> William

Hi William,
I'm getting a bad feeling about this. An un-clearable "Bad Checksum" is
not good. Particularly when the BIOS is able to see and let you use the
floppy drive.

You need either a W98 boot floppy or a bootable floppy with "fdisk" on
it.

Boot the machine from the floppy and a the prompt type "fdisk" without
the quotes. If fdisk comes back with no hard drives found or similar
message there are two possible reasons.
1/ The IDE controller or the drives are dead,
2/ The BIOS is shot and probably so is the mainboard.

At this point I would be checking the hard disk/s and CD roms in another
machine. Simply to rule out that one or more may have failed.

Incidentally DOS cannot see NTFS formated partitions and you will not
see a "C:" prompt.

Report back with your findings.
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Paul 05-15-2008 10:36 PM

Re: Bios Rom checksum error

William wrote:

> Hi Paul
> I unpluged my computer from wall outlet. I removed rom battery. Left it
> over night. This morning I put battery back in, pluged in computer and tried
> to turn it on. Nothing happened. After several tries computer came on lights
> came on cd and dvd drives. Computer light in front came on but no video.
> Pushed reset button. Video came on. Message on screen
>
> Award BootBlock Bios V1.0
> Copywrite (c) 2000, Award Software, Inc.
> Bios Rom checksum error
> Decting floppy drive A media
> Insert system Disk and press enter
>
> Put floppy startup disk in and pressed enter and nothing happened. Left
> startup floppy in and pressed reset and computer read floppy. A:\> prompt
> showed up. Like I said before there are no tools I can use on floppy. My
> mother board is a SYNTAX K7SV266AD. I have not changed the Power supply yet
> like Baron said. That is a little more trouble. What do you think I should
> do next?
> William

I found a picture of the motherboard here. It looks similar to "PCChips M811LU (V3.1)"

http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemde...iagram-a-L.jpg
http://www.mainboard.cz/mb/pcchips/m811_31s.jpg

And several references to the board, indicating that a number of companies
shipped something similar.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/15...syntax-sv266ad

http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/s...32220&t=247906

http://www.fixya.com/support/t135086-bios_in_bad_shape

The trouble is, I don't like any of the options I've seen so far.
I'd probably want to look for the motherboard CD, if the product
came with one. Maybe there is a copy of the BIOS on there.

Paul