Velocity Reviews

-   -   Digital photo of Michelangelo Creation of Adam? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t614671-digital-photo-of-michelangelo-creation-of-adam.html)

Bruce. 05-13-2008 07:47 PM

Digital photo of Michelangelo Creation of Adam?

I need to make a print in a custom size (8x20) of Michelangelo Creation of
Adam. Not the complete picture. Just the 2 hands touching fingers.

I've googled until my fingers are worn but I haven't been able to find a
source for a HIGH RESOLUTION digital version of this picture.

I'm not too picky but even at just 200dpi that would be 1600x4000. I
probably need an even larger original as I need to crop it to a 8x20
panorama frame.

Anyone know of a source where I could get this file?

Thanks.
Bruce.

Bruce. 05-13-2008 09:46 PM

Re: Digital photo of Michelangelo Creation of Adam?

"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.2294177bedd74cb898bc2d@news.supernews.com ...
> In article <efmWj.3455$J16.54@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>, Bruce.
> says...
>> I need to make a print in a custom size (8x20) of Michelangelo Creation
>> of
>> Adam. Not the complete picture. Just the 2 hands touching fingers.
>> Anyone know of a source where I could get this file?

> Alamy has 47 pictures:
>
> http://www.alamy.com/stock-photograp...h-results.asp?
> qt=michelangelo+creation+adam&lic=7&ipn=1&apn=1&cp n=1&cdpn=1&mr=0&pr=0
> &ot=0&nu=0&cdsrt=0&pn=1&st=0&a=-1&cid=&cdid=&s1=0&s3=0&s5=0&s7=0
> &pseudoid=0&npgs=7

OMG. I guess I should have said reasonably priced. For 50.8 MB / 5150 x
3446 pixels, they want $330. For a single photo I print myself for over the
fireplace, that's a budget buster.

I assumed art this old would be virtually free for the asking. Anyone know
of a more reasonable source?

Bruce.

Nervous Nick 05-14-2008 12:57 AM

On May 13, 7:42 pm, "dwight" <dwi...@XtfrogX.com> wrote:
> "Bruce." <no...@example.net> wrote in message

> > "Alfred Molon" <alfred_mo...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >news:MPG.2294177bedd74cb898bc2d@news.supernews.co m...
> >> In article <efmWj.3455$J16...@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>, Bruce.
> >> says...

> >> Alamy has 47 pictures:

> >>http://www.alamy.com/stock-photograp...h-results.asp?
> >> qt=michelangelo+creation+adam&lic=7&ipn=1&apn=1&cp n=1&cdpn=1&mr=0&pr=0
> >> &ot=0&nu=0&cdsrt=0&pn=1&st=0&a=-1&cid=&cdid=&s1=0&s3=0&s5=0&s7=0
> >> &pseudoid=0&npgs=7

> > OMG. I guess I should have said reasonably priced. For 50.8 MB / 5150 x
> > 3446 pixels, they want $330. For a single photo I print myself for over
> > the fireplace, that's a budget buster.

> > I assumed art this old would be virtually free for the asking. Anyone
> > know of a more reasonable source?

> > Bruce.

> The art may be old, but the digital capture sure isn't. Even film shots
> printed in a coffee table book would not be "free for the asking," but
> rather probably copyrighted. There's nothing wrong with a photographer
> asking a healthy price for his work.
>
> Now, if you could go to Italy and slap that original art onto a photocopier,
> you wouldn't be breaking any copyright laws.

That would take a really big copier.

--
YOP...

Mark Sieving 05-14-2008 01:06 AM

Re: Digital photo of Michelangelo Creation of Adam?

On Tue, 13 May 2008 20:42:45 -0400, "dwight" <dwight@XtfrogX.com>
wrote:

>Now, if you could go to Italy and slap that original art onto a photocopier,
>you wouldn't be breaking any copyright laws.

You'd probably be breaking a lot of other laws if you slapped the
ceiling of the Sistine Chapel onto a photocopier, though.

Blinky the Shark 05-14-2008 01:24 AM

Mark Sieving wrote:

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 20:42:45 -0400, "dwight" <dwight@XtfrogX.com>
> wrote:
>
>>Now, if you could go to Italy and slap that original art onto a photocopier,
>>you wouldn't be breaking any copyright laws.

> You'd probably be breaking a lot of other laws if you slapped the
> ceiling of the Sistine Chapel onto a photocopier, though.

As well as the copier.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Chris H 05-14-2008 06:31 AM

Re: Digital photo of Michelangelo Creation of Adam?

In message <T_nWj.542$qH4.87@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com>, Bruce.
<noone@example.net> writes
>"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>news:MPG.2294177bedd74cb898bc2d@news.supernews.co m...
>> In article <efmWj.3455$J16.54@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>, Bruce.
>> says...
>>> I need to make a print in a custom size (8x20) of Michelangelo Creation
>>> of
>>> Adam. Not the complete picture. Just the 2 hands touching fingers.
>>> Anyone know of a source where I could get this file?

>> Alamy has 47 pictures:
>>
>> http://www.alamy.com/stock-photograp...h-results.asp?
>> qt=michelangelo+creation+adam&lic=7&ipn=1&apn=1&cp n=1&cdpn=1&mr=0&pr=0
>> &ot=0&nu=0&cdsrt=0&pn=1&st=0&a=-1&cid=&cdid=&s1=0&s3=0&s5=0&s7=0
>> &pseudoid=0&npgs=7

>OMG. I guess I should have said reasonably priced. For 50.8 MB / 5150 x
>3446 pixels, they want $330. For a single photo I print myself for over the
>fireplace, that's a budget buster.

It is reasonably priced. Just out of your budget.

Rolls Royce cars are reasonably priced but I still can't afford one

>I assumed art this old would be virtually free for the asking.

Not really.

> Anyone know
>of a more reasonable source?

You mean cheaper. No.

You can't have everything you want in this life.

Chris H 05-14-2008 09:15 AM

Re: Digital photo of Michelangelo Creation of Adam?

In message <MPG.2294c8507e1e24b598bc2e@news.supernews.com>, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molon@yahoo.com> writes
>In article <T_nWj.542$qH4.87@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com>, Bruce. says...
>
>> OMG. I guess I should have said reasonably priced. For 50.8 MB / 5150 x
>> 3446 pixels, they want $330. For a single photo I print myself for over the
>> fireplace, that's a budget buster.
>>
>> I assumed art this old would be virtually free for the asking. Anyone know
>> of a more reasonable source?

>$330 is just 214 Euro.
>
>Anyway, this is not an easy shot to take. Tripods are not allowed and
>all photography is strictly forbidden in the Sistine chapel. The chapel
>is constantly monitored by guards who control people and enforce this
>photography ban.
>
>So hats off to those photographers who managed to smuggle in
>professional photography equipment with a long lens and managed to get a
>sharp handheld shot despite the poor lighting conditions.

Unless it was done with permission.

Actually it would have to be as the Church owns it. It is not "public"
as it is a physical part of their building.

Sophie Wilson 05-14-2008 10:56 AM

news:MPG.2294c8507e1e24b598bc2e@news.supernews.com :

> In article <T_nWj.542$qH4.87@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com>, Bruce. says...
>
>> OMG. I guess I should have said reasonably priced. For 50.8 MB /
>> 5150 x 3446 pixels, they want $330. For a single photo I print
>> myself for over the fireplace, that's a budget buster.
>>
>> I assumed art this old would be virtually free for the asking.
>> Anyone know of a more reasonable source?

> $330 is just 214 Euro.
>
> Anyway, this is not an easy shot to take. Tripods are not allowed and
> all photography is strictly forbidden in the Sistine chapel. The
> chapel is constantly monitored by guards who control people and
> enforce this photography ban.
>
> So hats off to those photographers who managed to smuggle in
> professional photography equipment with a long lens and managed to get
> a sharp handheld shot despite the poor lighting conditions.

Its quite hard enough getting a sharp 6MP 20mm (equiv) shot of the ceiling
of the Sistine chapel ;-)

--Sophie

(no, you don't get 4000x1600 of the fingers touching from such a shot. But
the ceiling as a whole is more glorious than the central panel, albeit the
central panel is the famous bit)

Bruce. 05-14-2008 06:43 PM

"Chris H" <chris@phaedsys.org> wrote in message
> You can't have everything you want in this life.

I'll assume that means you don't know of a cheaper site to find this photo.

Bruce.

Bruce. 05-14-2008 06:47 PM

Re: Digital photo of Michelangelo Creation of Adam?

"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:MPG.2294c8507e1e24b598bc2e@news.supernews.com ...
> $330 is just 214 Euro.
>
> Anyway, this is not an easy shot to take. Tripods are not allowed and
> all photography is strictly forbidden in the Sistine chapel. The chapel
> is constantly monitored by guards who control people and enforce this
> photography ban.
>
> So hats off to those photographers who managed to smuggle in
> professional photography equipment with a long lens and managed to get a
> sharp handheld shot despite the poor lighting conditions.

I think that site said their file was "licensed" so I assumed at some point
they had legal access. Perhaps that's why it's so expensive. I can
understand charging that much for commerical use, but geese, one framed
picture over a fireplace? That's a rediculous price for that use.

Bruce.