Velocity Reviews

-   -   For those who may be interested . (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t614636-for-those-who-may-be-interested.html)

mymail@hotmail.com 05-13-2008 04:41 PM

For those who may be interested .

Duesseldorf, 13.5.2008

Hi ,

the Pirellio DP-L10 is not locked for sipgate and won't be
preconfigured. You could order the device preconfigured:

http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/si..._configuration

Best regards,

Udo Fritsch

Ivor Jones 05-13-2008 06:11 PM

Re: For those who may be interested .

In news:n0hj2497keqgj4lt6bo1s1dkdta5sq9k63@4ax.com,
mymail@hotmail.com <mymail@hotmail.com> typed, for some strange,
unexplained reason:
: Duesseldorf, 13.5.2008
:
: Hi ,
:
: the Pirellio DP-L10 is not locked for sipgate and won't be
: preconfigured. You could order the device preconfigured:
:
: http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/si..._configuration
:
: Best regards,
:
: Udo Fritsch

Ye gods, Ron - are you actually saying Sipgate are doing something
right..???!!!

Good job I'm already sitting down or I'd fall down...!

Ivor

mymail@hotmail.com 05-13-2008 06:28 PM

Re: For those who may be interested .

On Tue, 13 May 2008 19:11:51 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<ivor@thisaddressis.invalid> wrote:

>In news:n0hj2497keqgj4lt6bo1s1dkdta5sq9k63@4ax.com,
>mymail@hotmail.com <mymail@hotmail.com> typed, for some strange,
>unexplained reason:
>: Duesseldorf, 13.5.2008
>:
>: Hi ,
>:
>: the Pirellio DP-L10 is not locked for sipgate and won't be
>: preconfigured. You could order the device preconfigured:
>:
>: http://www.sipgate.co.uk/voipshop/si..._configuration
>:
>: Best regards,
>:
>: Udo Fritsch
>
>Ye gods, Ron - are you actually saying Sipgate are doing something
>right..???!!!

No I am saying nothing of the sort just passing on info that I thought
may just be useful to some people and I still think more than ever now
that something is not quite right somehow regarding these phones.
Come on Ivor these phones where around £ 40.00 more expensive than the
UTStarcom F1000 when I bought my Starcom over 12 months ago and nither
the Starcom or the Pirelli haven't dropped much in price over the
months from other sources . I wonder if some very careless truck
driver braked exceedingly hard when he was passing Sipgates back door
and his entire load of the Pirelli's shot of the back !!! ,
Just a thought many a true word is spoken in jest Ivor and maybe I am
not the only one having such thoughts .

Ivor Jones 05-14-2008 05:46 PM

Re: For those who may be interested .

In news:a8KdnT3kx7qMzbfVnZ2dnUVZ8tHinZ2d@posted.plusn et,
Martin² <never@give.one> typed, for some strange, unexplained reason:
: <mymail@hotmail.com> wrote in message
: >I wonder if some very careless truck
: > driver braked exceedingly hard when he was passing Sipgates back
: > door and his entire load of the Pirelli's shot of the back !!! ,
:
: M

Indeed..! Apart from that Ron, has it occurred to you that Sipgate might
just have the buying power..? They are a *huge* company in Germany, with
far, far more customers than they have here, maybe they negotiated a good
deal from the suppliers/manufacturers..?

How do you think someone like Tesco can sell a pint of milk for less than
40p when small corner shops are charging 50p+..?

Ivor

mymail@hotmail.com 05-14-2008 06:49 PM

Re: For those who may be interested .

On Wed, 14 May 2008 18:46:50 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
<ivor@thisaddressis.invalid> wrote:

>Indeed..! Apart from that Ron, has it occurred to you that Sipgate might
>just have the buying power..? They are a *huge* company in Germany, with
>far, far more customers than they have here, maybe they negotiated a good
>deal from the suppliers/manufacturers..?

Well from what I have read here today I don't they are even worth what
Sipgate are charging besides which I recon there is still something
about the Sipgate deal that is not what it seams maybe there could
be a slight fault with them wouldn't know but only time will tell.

>How do you think someone like Tesco can sell a pint of milk for less than
>40p when small corner shops are charging 50p+..?

Because they want to carry on selling milk and are taking a far less
cut pr pint than most small shops 31p pr pint at the local Indian shop
but I would not buy it from there even if he was charging 20 p a
pint .

andy 05-15-2008 12:01 AM

On 14 May, 18:46, "Ivor Jones" <i...@thisaddressis.invalid> wrote:

> How do you think someone like Tesco can sell a pint of milk for less than
> 40p when small corner shops are charging 50p+..?

Or this Pirelli phone at half its original price?

voiptalker@gmail.com 05-15-2008 05:16 PM

On May 15, 2:01*am, andy <andy.gg...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 14 May, 18:46, "Ivor Jones" <i...@thisaddressis.invalid> wrote:
>

> > How do you think someone like Tesco can sell a pint of milk for less than
> > 40p when small corner shops are charging 50p+..?

> Or this Pirelli phone at half its original price?

Just to put aside the issues of each individual company's selling
price, one has to bear in mind that people like Tesco (and maybe
Sipgate in the VOIP market) can negotiate and buy much at cheaper
prices. Whether they then pass on these discounts to the end consumer
is up to them.

Forgetting all this, if you're thinking of buying one, I feel you have
to ask yourself if it is value for money. Value for money being a good
feature set/ reliability/whatever compared to price and other similar
items on the market. Personally, I think this device does offer pretty
good valu for money.... How much would a cheapy, but functional mobile
with camera cost? How much would a wifi voip phone cost? This phone
offers both in one device - pretty handy really.
Add to that the possibility of converting this phone from a dual phone
(GSM and voip wifi) into a "tri" phone adding in PSTN capability too
(with the addition of a base station - the Sinus TC300) and you have
quite a mean machine. OK the base station isn't easily available in
the UK, but you could probably get one for under 20 quid off ebay....

Just my 2ps worth

mymail@hotmail.com 05-15-2008 06:08 PM

On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:16:40 -0700 (PDT), voiptalker@gmail.com wrote:

> How much would a wifi voip phone cost? This phone
>offers both in one device - pretty handy really.

But it is bad enough sending anything back if anything goes wrong to
suppliers in the UK this phone would have to go back to Germany at
great cost probably around 15.00 or more UPS.
This is why I always or nearly always buy within driving distance
cuts down on time and cost .I have sent a couple of hard drives back
to Germany ( western digital ) in the past cost by RM equivalent of
special delivery has been just under £ 20. 00.

voiptalker@gmail.com 05-15-2008 06:29 PM

On May 15, 8:08*pm, mym...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 15 May 2008 10:16:40 -0700 (PDT), voiptal...@gmail.com wrote:
> > How much would a wifi voip phone cost? This phone
> >offers both in one device - pretty handy really.

> But it is bad enough sending anything back if anything goes wrong to
> suppliers in the UK this phone would have to go back to Germany at
> great cost probably around 15.00 or more UPS.
> This is why I always or nearly always buy within driving distance
> cuts down on time and cost .

Where did you get the Starcom wifi phones? locally? Ah yes, you did
say "nearly always"

> I have sent a couple of hard drives back
> to Germany ( western digital ) in the past cost by RM equivalent of
> special delivery *has been just under £ 20. 00.

Ah hard drives. Sorry, I forgot you DID say you buy locally "nearly
always". If the warranty has expired (and with the drop in prices of
most electronic equipment), it's often cheaper just to buy a new one
anyway.

Anyway, this phone is obviously not for you for a number of reasons -
it's foreign AND sold by Sipgate.

mymail@hotmail.com 05-15-2008 08:40 PM

On Thu, 15 May 2008 11:29:21 -0700 (PDT), voiptalker@gmail.com wrote:

>Where did you get the Starcom wifi phones? locally? Ah yes, you did
>say "nearly always"

I did not say LOCALLY AT ALL I said within driving distance in the
case of the Starcoms a 120 mile round trip .

>Ah hard drives. Sorry, I forgot you DID say you buy locally "nearly
>always". If the warranty has expired (and with the drop in prices of
>most electronic equipment), it's often cheaper just to buy a new one
>anyway.

Warranties hadn't expired and yes I could have taken them back where
they where bought from and they would have sent them back to Germany
which would have caused a longer delay than need be. I have never had
any computer equipment go down out of warranty I look after all my
equipment .
>Anyway, this phone is obviously not for you for a number of reasons -
>it's foreign AND sold by Sipgate.

Being foreign doesn't bother me in the least what isn't foreign these
days I have two foreign make cars and I shall have a third tomorrow
at this time . Some of us pensioners who have looked after our money
all our working lives instead of going on expensive holidays and
spending it on booze and running up credit card bills etc etc every
week have got bags of money to spend on just about anything we want .