Velocity Reviews

-   -   Can you load a usercontrol into another usercontrol? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t614614-can-you-load-a-usercontrol-into-another-usercontrol.html)

COHENMARVIN@lycos.com 05-13-2008 02:20 PM

Can you load a usercontrol into another usercontrol?

I have an aspx page that loads a usercontrol. Can that usercontrol
load another usercontrol into part of it?
Thanks,
Marv

George Ter-Saakov 05-13-2008 05:18 PM

Re: Can you load a usercontrol into another usercontrol?

Sure, why not....

George.

Mark Fitzpatrick 05-13-2008 10:16 PM

Re: Can you load a usercontrol into another usercontrol?

Yes, just keep in mind that you need to time your events well in the control
event hierarchy. Sometimes an action in a usercontrol that works when
embedded in a page may be a bit off when placed inside another user control.
For example, you pass data from a usercontrol to another one that will show
some more data. You click a link in the parent usercontrol to select a
different set of data to show in the child usercontrol, but the timing of
the events is off so the child usercontrol doesn't update properly and ends
up a step behind the parent.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - Expression

Arthur 06-22-2008 11:00 PM

Re: Can you load a usercontrol into another usercontrol?

how do you want to load it?
1.dynamicaly in code behind or
2.insert usercontrol tag in aspx/ascx code?

ad 1)
place the folowing directive in the asp code of the parent page or
usercontrol:

<%@ Reference Control="~/Name_of_your_child_control.ascx" %>

create a new instance in code behind by the following code:

Name_of_your_child_control control = (Name_of_your_child_control)
TemplateControl.LoadControl("~/Name_of_your_child_control.ascx");

ad 2)
place the folowing directive in the asp code of the parent page or
usercontrol:

<%@ Register src="Name_of_your_child_control.ascx"
tagname="Name_of_your_child_control" tagprefix="uc1" %>

use the following tag in the asp-code of the parent page/control:

<uc1:Name_of_your_child_control ID="Name_of_your_child_control1"
runat="server" />