Velocity Reviews

-   -   vista x64 & 4 gig of ram (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t614215-vista-x64-and-4-gig-of-ram.html)

karakazan 05-11-2008 06:35 PM

vista x64 & 4 gig of ram

I just upgraded my ram from 2 gig to 4 gig on an Acer 5680 laptop Vista
ultimate x 64,As far as i know vista 64 should unleash the 4 gig of ram but
what i see is installed memory 3gig ,total physical memory 3gig, how can i
unleash the 4 gig?

Charlie Russel - MVP 05-11-2008 08:00 PM

Re: vista x64 & 4 gig of ram

In order to gain access to the RAM that is otherwise hidden by the
addressing for built in things like video, etc., you need to make a change
to your BIOS. Everyone version of BIOS seems to call it something slightly
different, and there are some that don't have the capability for it. But
look for "remap" or "memory hole" or something similar and enable the
remapping.

This will then require a full, hard, reboot.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Tony Sperling 05-18-2008 08:51 AM

Re: vista x64 & 4 gig of ram

Not to bicker, but exiting BIOS Setup executes a Cold-Boot by default - and
I don't even think you can circumvent that in any way!

Tony. . .

Zootal 05-18-2008 04:16 PM

Re: vista x64 & 4 gig of ram

In most bios setups, you can circumvent it by discarding changes as you exit
:-)

Tony Sperling 05-18-2008 05:34 PM

Re: vista x64 & 4 gig of ram

O.K. - that I didn't know. Thanks, got to check it out!

Tony. . .

Charlie Russel - MVP 05-19-2008 04:54 PM

Re: vista x64 & 4 gig of ram

Also, just to be clear - there are some BIOSs that will make a change and
then continue on. They're relatively less common, and the typical AMI BIOS
will never do that. But I have seen them.