Velocity Reviews

-   -   D-Link 323 NAS (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t614123-d-link-323-nas.html)

Gordon 05-11-2008 05:34 AM

D-Link 323 NAS

I am wondering if how many of the readers of this news group, who are on the
MS Windows platform, have tried using it and are satisfied with it.

After an afternoon of plugging it in I think that either I missing something
or Murphy has visited me.

I am darned if I can see the 323 on the network.

So anyone using the D-link 323 with sucess.

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509

SlowLearner 05-11-2008 07:46 AM

Re: D-Link 323 NAS

On May 11, 5:34*pm, Gordon <blub...@penguin.myplace.com> wrote:
> I am wondering if how many of the readers of this news group, who are on the
> MS Windows platform, have tried using it and are satisfied with it.
>
> After an afternoon of plugging it in I think that either I missing something
> or Murphy has visited me.
>
> I am darned if I can see the 323 on the network.
>
> So anyone using the D-link 323 with sucess.
>
> http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=509

I have one and it works fine, now.

I did not use the provided software and did everything manually.

Initally I had a few problems with my software firewall blocking it.

Once that was sorted I had problems 'finding' it in Network
neighbourhood. It would show up but not be accessible, shares would
appear but not be able to be opened etc. The solution seemed to be to
map the drives in explorer, after that it was all plain sailing ...
until ...

Yep, Vista, MS's new flagship OS. Totally and utterly fails to
properly 'fall back' to the version of samba on this (and most
consumer) NAS devices. It sort of works, on and off, for a bit. Drives
are sometimes found, sometimes not, sometimes would reattach,
sometimes not. After much googling I found the solution was to use a
piece of MS admin softtware that is not provided in the non-business
versions of Vista. Or you can go registry spelunking and do some hand
edits (wow! just like Linux! I am soo glad I am using this 'best of
breed' OS) to force Vista to always attempt connections at the lowest
(oldest?) compatibility level and it all worked. If you are using
Vista just reply back and I'll dig up the admin tool and registry hack
instructions.

The only other snag I had under WinXP was if I password protected
shares to a specific user. I had a lot of problems unless I made my
username and password in windows the same as the one on the Dlink. It
was ok to use different ones for drives I mapped 'as I went' but if I
wanted them to re-mount at each boot I I had to line up login
details. Never worked out why, didn't bother as I didn't mind having
my Win login details the same as my Dlink ones.

One thing that is very useful is to install the fonz_plugin stuff.
This lets you telnet (ssh) in to the device which makes copying large
large files/directories really quick as rather than coming from the
NAS drive to your PC then back to the new location on the NAS drive it
is as fast as a transfer between folders on a local disk.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 05-11-2008 07:57 AM

Re: D-Link 323 NAS

In article
<c3fb9395-f359-4f9d-9ee2-e95e6b415e69@q27g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
SlowLearner did write:

> One thing that is very useful is to install the fonz_plugin stuff.
> This lets you telnet (ssh) in to the device which makes copying large
> large files/directories really quick as rather than coming from the
> NAS drive to your PC then back to the new location on the NAS drive it
> is as fast as a transfer between folders on a local disk.

Interesting. Apple's AppleShare protocol and software (going back to the
1980s) had a specific command called "copy file", which was supposed to let
the server handle the actual data transfer internally, to save on network
traffic. Odd that Microsoft never figured out a similar solution, even
after all these years...

EMB 05-11-2008 08:10 AM

Re: D-Link 323 NAS

Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

> Interesting. Apple's AppleShare protocol and software (going back to the
> 1980s) had a specific command called "copy file", which was supposed to let
> the server handle the actual data transfer internally, to save on network
> traffic.

As did Netware from version 2 or thereabouts.