Velocity Reviews

-   -   Home Page? (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t613867-home-page.html)

~misfit~ 04-12-2008 02:35 AM

Home Page?

Hey all,

For years I've used nzcity as my homepage but recently it's got too bad for
my liking; Spelling mistakes too numerous to ignore, duplicate links,
cryptic 'headlines' so I have no clue what the article I'm about to look at
is about.... I like the weather feature and the quote of the day, however,
that's about it these days.

What do folks here use for a homepage? I'm looking for news mainly, with the
ability to filter out 'celebrity' crap and maybe weight it towards tech
news.

Thanks in advance,
--
Shaun.

neutrino 04-12-2008 03:39 AM

Re: Home Page?

how about good old Google news:
http://news.google.co.nz/nwshp?sourc...lient&ie=UTF-8

Lodi 04-12-2008 03:43 AM

Re: Home Page?

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 14:35:23 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> For years I've used nzcity as my homepage but recently it's got too bad
> for my liking; Spelling mistakes too numerous to ignore, duplicate
> links, cryptic 'headlines' so I have no clue what the article I'm about
> to look at is about.... I like the weather feature and the quote of the
> day, however, that's about it these days.
>
> What do folks here use for a homepage? I'm looking for news mainly, with
> the ability to filter out 'celebrity' crap and maybe weight it towards
> tech news.
>
> Thanks in advance,

Hate to sound common :-) but my brother has a really nice homepage setup
using iGoogle

http://www.google.com/ig

I haven't looked at the in's and out's of it but it seems very
configurable. Gives him his news fix, weather etc each time he opens his
browser. And he can have a pretty background image as well.

I'm half tempted to try it out cos at the moment I just use plain old
google.nz as my homepage.

Regards
Lodi

Lodi 04-12-2008 04:02 AM

Re: Home Page?

>On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 05:43:25 +0200, Lodi wrote:

> Hate to sound common :-) but my brother has a really nice homepage setup
> using iGoogle
>
> http://www.google.com/ig
>
> I haven't looked at the in's and out's of it but it seems very
> configurable. Gives him his news fix, weather etc each time he opens his
> browser. And he can have a pretty background image as well.
>
> I'm half tempted to try it out cos at the moment I just use plain old
> google.nz as my homepage.
>
> Regards
> Lodi

Shaun....Have just had a quick look around a few "iGoogle help,tips and
tricks" sites and I've noticed quite a few people asking how to uninstall
it (not that it's a separate programme so I'm not quite sure what they
mean by uninstall). May need more investigation so take my advice with
the usual grain of salt.

Regards
Lodi

~misfit~ 04-12-2008 05:09 AM

Re: Home Page?

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Lodi" typed:
>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 05:43:25 +0200, Lodi wrote:

>> Hate to sound common :-) but my brother has a really nice homepage
>> setup using iGoogle
>>
>> http://www.google.com/ig
>>
>> I haven't looked at the in's and out's of it but it seems very
>> configurable. Gives him his news fix, weather etc each time he opens
>> his browser. And he can have a pretty background image as well.
>>
>> I'm half tempted to try it out cos at the moment I just use plain old
>> google.nz as my homepage.
>>
>> Regards
>> Lodi

> Shaun....Have just had a quick look around a few "iGoogle help,tips
> and tricks" sites and I've noticed quite a few people asking how to
> uninstall it (not that it's a separate programme so I'm not quite
> sure what they mean by uninstall). May need more investigation so
> take my advice with the usual grain of salt.

Thanks Lodi, I've not looked yet but maybe it's tied up with Google Desktop
Search? I installed that once and regretted it.

Cheers, will have a look after I've finished cooking/eating dinner.
--
Shaun.

~misfit~ 04-12-2008 05:20 AM

Re: Home Page?

Somewhere on teh intarweb "neutrino" typed:
> how about good old Google news:
> http://news.google.co.nz/nwshp?sourc...lient&ie=UTF-8

Thanks, I'll give it a try for a while.

It seems that Google is getting to be as ubiquitous as they'd hoped.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Peter Huebner 04-12-2008 08:07 AM

Re: Home Page?

In article <48001fd1$1@news2.actrix.gen.nz>,
misfit61nz@hooya.com.au says...
> Hey all,
>
> For years I've used nzcity as my homepage but recently it's got too bad for
> my liking; Spelling mistakes too numerous to ignore, duplicate links,
> cryptic 'headlines' so I have no clue what the article I'm about to look at
> is about.... I like the weather feature and the quote of the day, however,
> that's about it these days.
>
> What do folks here use for a homepage? I'm looking for news mainly, with the
> ability to filter out 'celebrity' crap and maybe weight it towards tech
> news.
>
> Thanks in advance,

about:blank

Since I have quick-buttons for all the sites I frequent, I like
my browser to start up blank - so if I want I can start at
Google, BBC, Herald, www.auno.org or even <blush> trademe
without having to interrupt or wait for 'homepage' to load.
ymmw ...

-Peter

Ross 04-12-2008 08:17 AM

Re: Home Page?

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 19:29:52 +1200, black.hole.4.spam@gmail.com (Don
Hills) wrote:

>In article <48001fd1$1@news2.actrix.gen.nz>,
>"~misfit~" <misfit61nz@hooya.com.au> wrote:
>>What do folks here use for a homepage? ...

>about:blank

Ah! A fine choice indeed!
And Firefox 3 beta 5, no doubt?

~misfit~ 04-13-2008 12:33 AM

Re: Home Page?

Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
> ~misfit~ wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> For years I've used nzcity as my homepage but recently it's got too
>> bad for my liking; Spelling mistakes too numerous to ignore,
>> duplicate links, cryptic 'headlines' so I have no clue what the
>> article I'm about to look at is about.... I like the weather feature
>> and the quote of the day, however, that's about it these days.
>>
>> What do folks here use for a homepage? I'm looking for news mainly,
>> with the ability to filter out 'celebrity' crap and maybe weight it
>> towards tech news.

> About:blank
>
> If I am opening the browser its because I am going somewhere, not to
> see a default page come up.

Whereas I like a site that gives me general news, tech news, weather... I
get sick of the morons who can't speak proper on TV news, plus don't always
catch the news.

Cheers,
--
Shaun.

Gordon 04-13-2008 03:42 AM

Re: Home Page?

On 2008-04-12, Don Hills <black.hole.4.spam@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <pur004tsce9oo1rh6e0gu6ja5rhko37rlf@4ax.com>,
> Ross <rossnospamplease@orcon.net.nz> wrote:
>>
>>Ah! A fine choice indeed!
>>And Firefox 3 beta 5, no doubt?

> Indeed. It makes it easy for me to choose where I want to go today.

Wow, I am not alone. To me a web browser is so that one can view a web site
which one wishes to view. So start the browser and off we go.

A web browswer is not a TV. It does not have to have something on it when
one turns it on. One picks up the phone and dials a number.

This thread has been interesting in that it appears many expect something to
be there on the screen when the browser is opened. Passive attitude people.
You will be sucked in by big brother. Or have been.