Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Orcon (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t613825-orcon.html)

Chris Lim 04-03-2008 08:35 AM

Orcon
 
I signed up for one of the new Orcon plans and got connected the other
day. Speed-wise it's a big improvement over my previous connection,
about 4 times as fast, so that's good.

But I've been lessed than impressed with Orcon's website which I've
found very frustrating to use. Among my gripes are:

- Everything seems disjointed. You go to the main site
(www.orcon.net.nz), log on to view/edit your account details, and once
you're in their legacy Cosmos interface there's no way to return to
the main site. They even have checks to stop you using the Back
button, but no links for you to back to the main site so you're stuck
there. Ditto with their new Webmail interface. One way in, no way out.
How crappy is that?

- Their plans advertise addtional data for $1/GB, so today I went to
go and purchase a few more GBs. Couldn't find anywhere on their site
where I could do this, whereas they used to have this option when I
was originally with them years ago. Is it still there and just well
hidden, or have they enhanced their web site by removing this useful
feature?

- When I initially applied for a connection, I went through a flash
application process online and at the end was told I would get a
confirmation email immediately, and another one a few days before my
connection was enabled. Problem is, they did not prompt for an email
address during the application process! So, I went to the poxy cosmos
app and manually added my existing email address and made it my
primary one so that my confirmation emails would get sent there. No
emails were sent until *after* my connection was enabled, and even
then they sent it to my new Orcon email address and made my existing
one a secondary one.

- Since I don't want to check my Orcon email, I added a Filter to
forward my emails to my existing email. Followed the instructions,
send a test email and no forwarding occurred. Great stuff.

- I logged the mail-forwarding problem as a Help Desk call via their
website. I was already logged in, and selected 'Email Orcon Support'.
I get prompted to log in again. Hmmm, maybe for security reasons? Oh
well, I log in again and am then prompted for my details, including my
name and email address!! I've logged in TWICE, yet they still ask me
for those details. Madness. Anyway I enter everything and submit my
request. On the confirmation page it shows my account number as "New
customer"! Looks like logging in twice as well as typing in my name
and email address isn't enough to identify me as an existing customer.

Anyone else here with Orcon? Have you found the above problems or am I
just going crazy?

Chris Lim 04-03-2008 09:41 AM

Re: Orcon
 
On Apr 3, 10:34*pm, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
<S...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 01:35:07 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:
> > - Everything seems disjointed. You go to the main site
> > (www.orcon.net.nz), log on to view/edit your account details, and once
> > you're in their legacy Cosmos interface there's no way to return to the
> > main site.

>
> Yes there is - use your browser's "back" button.


They display a warning message telling you to avoid using the Back
button whenever you do. You can ignore them of course, but the main
problem is it can take many, many clicks to get back. The more you do
in the Cosmos area the more clicks it takes. I just went in and
browsed through some of my settings, and it took about a dozen clicks
to get back to the main site. Is that good web design?

Chris Lim 04-03-2008 09:45 AM

Re: Orcon
 
On Apr 3, 10:10*pm, Puddle <Pud...@invalid.xxx> wrote:
> It is just automatic isn't it? once you go over your data limit they
> charge you at that rate..


Maybe it is, given they don't mention throttling you back if you go
over. I guess I was expecting to have to purchase data like I did last
time I was with them. Okay, well strike that off my gripes list then!

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 04-03-2008 09:54 AM

Re: Orcon
 
In article
<3a017cc1-f24e-479c-9eca-d1d60a3cb961@s37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Chris
Lim did write:

> You can ignore them of course, but the main
> problem is it can take many, many clicks to get back.


In Firefox, next to the Back button is a menu that lets you jump back
quickly to any previous point.

Chris Lim 04-03-2008 07:57 PM

Re: Orcon
 
On Apr 4, 12:08 am, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
<S...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 02:41:16 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:
> > They display a warning message telling you to avoid using the Back
> > button whenever you do. You can ignore them of course, but the main
> > problem is it can take many, many clicks to get back. The more you do in
> > the Cosmos area the more clicks it takes. I just went in and browsed
> > through some of my settings, and it took about a dozen clicks to get
> > back to the main site. Is that good web design?

>
> Have you considered using bookmarks?


Have you consider that's not the point???!

Mutlley 04-03-2008 08:30 PM

Re: Orcon
 
Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>In article
><3a017cc1-f24e-479c-9eca-d1d60a3cb961@s37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Chris
>Lim did write:
>
>> You can ignore them of course, but the main
>> problem is it can take many, many clicks to get back.

>
>In Firefox, next to the Back button is a menu that lets you jump back
>quickly to any previous point.


What version?? I'm using FF 3.05b and I can't see it. There is one
in Opera called "Rewind" that does the same thing..

TIA

Mutlley 04-04-2008 02:22 AM

Re: Orcon
 
ChrisOD <chris@dont.send.me.any.email> wrote:

>On 2008-04-03, Mutlley <mutley2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>
>>>In article
>>><3a017cc1-f24e-479c-9eca-d1d60a3cb961@s37g2000prg.googlegroups.com>, Chris
>>>Lim did write:
>>>
>>>> You can ignore them of course, but the main
>>>> problem is it can take many, many clicks to get back.
>>>
>>>In Firefox, next to the Back button is a menu that lets you jump back
>>>quickly to any previous point.

>>
>> What version?? I'm using FF 3.05b and I can't see it. There is one
>> in Opera called "Rewind" that does the same thing..
>>
>> TIA

>in 3.05b there is a little down arrow just to the right of the forward button.


Thanx .. Found it. They could have made it a bit more obvious..

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 04-04-2008 07:48 AM

Re: Orcon
 
In article <slrnfvas3c.5rd.chris@cf-cod.kod>, ChrisOD did write:

> On 2008-04-03, Mutlley <mutley2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>
>>>In Firefox, next to the Back button is a menu that lets you jump back
>>>quickly to any previous point.

>>
>> What version?? I'm using FF 3.05b and I can't see it.
>>

> in 3.05b there is a little down arrow just to the right of the forward
> button.


You mean to the right of the back button? That's where it is in version 2.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 04-04-2008 09:51 AM

Re: Orcon
 
In article <47f5f19f$1@clear.net.nz>, Rob Simpson did write:

> On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 20:48:11 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro propped his
> eyelids open with toothpicks and wrote:
>
>> In article <slrnfvas3c.5rd.chris@cf-cod.kod>, ChrisOD did write:
>>
>>> On 2008-04-03, Mutlley <mutley2000@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>> Lawrence D'Oliveiro <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
>>>>
>>>>>In Firefox, next to the Back button is a menu that lets you jump back
>>>>>quickly to any previous point.
>>>>
>>>> What version?? I'm using FF 3.05b and I can't see it.
>>>>
>>> in 3.05b there is a little down arrow just to the right of the forward
>>> button.

>>
>> You mean to the right of the back button? That's where it is in version
>> 2.

>
> In 3.0b4 it is to the right of the forward button.


2.0 has both.

Chris Lim 04-05-2008 02:27 AM

Re: Orcon
 
On Apr 5, 1:58*pm, "Smoking Causes Lung Cancer (SCLC)"
<S...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Apr 2008 12:57:28 -0700, Chris Lim wrote:
> >> Have you considered using bookmarks?

>
> > Have you consider that's not the point???!

>
> I take it that you really meant "no" as the answer.


You'd be wrong, but you'd be used to that so I'm sure it doesn't
bother you.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.