Velocity Reviews

Velocity Reviews (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/index.php)
-   NZ Computing (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/f47-nz-computing.html)
-   -   Dimdows 7 bloat (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t613804-dimdows-7-bloat.html)

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 04-01-2008 06:46 AM

Dimdows 7 bloat
 
A lot of people believe that Dimdows 7 will be built around a new,
stripped-down "MinWin" kernel. Ed Bott <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=418>
points out that's not the case: "MinWin" is purely a research project to
investigate directions _after_ Dimdows 7. 7 itself will be just a
mildly-reworked Vista, to try to reduce some of the bloat. After all,
Microsoft were already hammered over the compatibility problems introduced
in Vista, they don't want to add any more, do they?

Ross 04-01-2008 08:16 AM

Re: Dimdows 7 bloat
 
On Tue, 01 Apr 2008 19:46:20 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
<ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

>A lot of people believe that Dimdows 7 will be built around a new,
>stripped-down "MinWin" kernel. Ed Bott <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=418>
>points out that's not the case: "MinWin" is purely a research project to
>investigate directions _after_ Dimdows 7. 7 itself will be just a
>mildly-reworked Vista, to try to reduce some of the bloat. After all,
>Microsoft were already hammered over the compatibility problems introduced
>in Vista, they don't want to add any more, do they?


Time for MS to start a new line.
The NT line has had it;s day. They should "grandfather" it.
Make a new OS from scratch and supply a VM to run the old NT products
as needed.
Maybe they could buy Debian or similar Linux to build on. Even OS X.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 04-01-2008 08:48 AM

Re: Dimdows 7 bloat
 
In article <jlr3v3phvel5j8oigfekn7hir64e5htllu@4ax.com>, Ross did write:

> The NT line has had it;s day. They should "grandfather" it.
> Make a new OS from scratch and supply a VM to run the old NT products
> as needed.


Not that easy. A VM isn't going to solve the security issue: it's going to
be just as prone to vulnerabilities as "real" hardware.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 04-01-2008 08:55 AM

Re: Dimdows 7 bloat
 
In article <uft3v35ho3qddd0cbsdl06b1n1q88hi4da@4ax.com>, Brian Mathews did
write:

> Please give it a Rest as you are just getting up peoples noses ...


Pot, kettle ...

> Gee I thought I was the bad one here.


Good to know you've made a start, by admitting you have a problem.

Lawrence D'Oliveiro 04-01-2008 10:19 PM

Re: Dimdows 7 bloat
 
In article <47f20471$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Collector€NZ did write:

> ... you are just a silly little twerp ...


It just repels me when people start resorting to personal attacks like this.
To me, it indicates a complete bankruptcy of meaningful ideas. Either
contribute to the debate or **** off, don't whine like a baby.

impossible 04-02-2008 12:33 AM

Re: Dimdows 7 bloat
 
"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <ldo@geek-central.gen.new_zealand> wrote in message
news:fsuce6$mdl$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> In article <47f20471$1@news.orcon.net.nz>, Collector?NZ did write:
>
>> Twank,
>>
>> You have not made a single post to this group of any value, while some
>> people share your dislike of Windows and MS not too many are prepared to
>> be as obtrusive about it as you are.
>>
>> Thank god for the small mercy of a plonk file, one day when you grow up
>> and actually work in an industry position where you deal with the real
>> world and can evaluate from a real business world perspective your posts
>> may become a realistic and valuable contribution to this group.
>>
>> Until then you are just a silly little twerp with delusions of self
>> grandeur and I suggest you ask your parents to get you help, even if it
>> is shock treatment or retrospective abortion.
>>
>>
>> <<Plonk>>>


> It just repels me when people start resorting to personal attacks like
> this.
> To me, it indicates a complete bankruptcy of meaningful ideas. Either
> contribute to the debate or **** off, don't whine like a baby.


Twank, he called you -- that'a cross between a wanker and a ****. I think
that rather suits you, actually. In which case the notion of a "personal
attack" doesn't really apply. Now, if someone said, "Don't believe a thing
this twank says because we all know that twanks are born wrong", then I
coluldn't go along with that. The arguments of each and every twank should
be judged on their merits. But when a twank like you chooses "Dimdows" as
his signature concept and never rises above that level of argument, then I'd
say Collector?NZ is right on target.



Hank Scorpio 04-02-2008 11:49 AM

Re: Dimdows 7 bloat
 
This is pathetic. I get something out of Mr L d'O's posts, but I get nothing
out of all this name-calling. Leave it alone guys. Even I know how to
eliminate messages from posters I don't like.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com


impossible 04-02-2008 05:39 PM

Re: Dimdows 7 bloat
 
"Hank Scorpio" <noway@noway.org> wrote in message
news:47f36739$0$3042$88260bb3@free.teranews.com...
> This is pathetic. I get something out of Mr L d'O's posts, but I get
> nothing out of all this name-calling. Leave it alone guys. Even I know how
> to eliminate messages from posters I don't like.


Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, Mr. L d'O... no wait, "Hank" is it?....ok.



Hamish Campbell 04-02-2008 10:51 PM

Re: Dimdows 7 bloat
 
On Apr 3, 6:39*am, "impossible" <impossi...@nospam.com> wrote:
> "Hank Scorpio" <no...@noway.org> wrote in message
>
> news:47f36739$0$3042$88260bb3@free.teranews.com...
>
> > This is pathetic. I get something out of Mr L d'O's posts, but I get
> > nothing out of all this name-calling. Leave it alone guys. Even I know how
> > to eliminate messages from posters I don't like.

>
> Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, Mr. L d'O... no wait, "Hank" is it?....ok.


By the by, I happen to agree with Hank & Puddle.

The Dimdows thing is really, really old (I mean really old.. no,
seriously... it's old... I mean, like, old!)... but no one's winning
any moral victories here. I mean, honestly, read your responses.
Nuclear much?

Cheers,

Hamish

impossible 04-03-2008 02:19 AM

Re: Dimdows 7 bloat
 

"Hamish Campbell" <HN.Campbell@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:b42d08f2-dece-4778-b13d-0c159525f455@q27g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
On Apr 3, 6:39 am, "impossible" <impossi...@nospam.com> wrote:

>> "Hank Scorpio" <no...@noway.org> wrote in message
>>
>> news:47f36739$0$3042$88260bb3@free.teranews.com...
>>
>> > This is pathetic. I get something out of Mr L d'O's posts, but I get
>> > nothing out of all this name-calling. Leave it alone guys. Even I know
>> > how
>> > to eliminate messages from posters I don't like.

>>
>> Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, Mr. L d'O... no wait, "Hank" is it?....ok.


> By the by, I happen to agree with Hank & Puddle.


Sure thing, Larry -- I mean, "Hank"... no wait, "Hammish" is it?....ok.





All times are GMT. The time now is 08:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®. Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.