Velocity Reviews

-   -   By-BY Vista, Back to XP (http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t613698-by-by-vista-back-to-xp.html)

kim m 04-23-2008 04:36 PM

By-BY Vista, Back to XP

migrated from XP a sony vaio w/ vista home premium installed. I would like to
successfully do this and what are the gliches to watch out for?
Thanks for all the vista advice i have been given on these forums.
--
kim m

Ralph 04-24-2008 12:54 PM

Re: By-BY Vista, Back to XP

I'd suggest backing up all your data first, and do a "clean" install. (but
I'm not from MS)

PaladinWxpX64 04-24-2008 01:19 PM

RE: By-BY Vista, Back to XP

Make a full backup of your system if you think it is needed.
Or you just make very sure you have all your data (Documents/photo's etc etc
etc) backup on a different media.
Get the needed hardware drivers off the web and burn those on a CD or save
them on any other external device (USB-harddrive).
You could even go as far as downloading Service Pack 2 (SP2). This way if
you lack SP2 on the orginal disk you can install and use the very simple
Windows Firewall (part of SP2) when you connect to the Internet for the first
time after this fresh installment.

Whip out the orginal WXP CD and do a format of the system disk (usually C).
Re-install XP.
Re-stall drivers
Re-install SP2
Re-install Anti-virus/anti-maiware
Re-install applications (from orginal disks only).
Update all software.
Re-install applications you downloaded in the past.
Update all software once again.

Scan the backup-data first before coping them to you laptop.
When you upgrade an OS ontop of a previous version there is no option to
downgrade it far as I can tell.

Tom Ferguson 04-24-2008 02:15 PM

Re: By-BY Vista, Back to XP

I am only familiar with a couple of notebooks from the Sony line. However,
in general with laptops, it is easier to change one to XP (whichever SKU) if
that model was available with some XP version. The Sony www site has
downloads but what is available depends on the model. And you will need
appropriate drivers. So, do check there before you start. If you know what
Sony DL site lacks and what the hardware requires, you might be able to find
it on the particular maker's site: wireless network, sound drivers et al.
--

Tom
MSMVP 1998-2007